[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: 1 Corinthians 12:1-11  (Read 1380 times)

bradley11

• Obviously I'm a Novice
1 Corinthians 12:1-11
« on: July 28, 2007, 10:14:03 PM »
Hi Guys,

After attending another worship service at our outback Baptist come pentecostal Church, I have another question to ask regarding the sign gifts.

The sermon we listended to today was on the spiritual gifts and used 1 Corinthians 12 vs 1-11 as the proof text.  Now, I am most definitely (as stated in a previous post) against the use by charismatics of the sign gifts in today's Church and know in priniple the outline of the cessationalist's argument: that the sign gifts were used to "authorise" and validate the words of Christians in the early Church before the Bible was completed.  However, when you read through this passage, it seems quite clear that some people are given gifts of wisdom, knowledge, healing, miraculous powers, prophesy, tongues etc.  In my mind, this is probably the best proof text a charismatic can come up with to affirm these gifts today.

If anyone has an interpretation of this passage (the whole of Chapter 12 and 14 actually) to help me with explaining this passage to those charismatics who question the cessation of the gifts it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Brad

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]