[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Lord's Prayer  (Read 1029 times)

tshusker

• Doctrine Matters
The Lord's Prayer
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:50:55 AM »
Are we as believers praying the Lord's Prayer?  I'm curious.
“...s the celestial glory of so little esteem with him, that he counteth it not worth running the hazard of a few difficulties to obtain it?”  (John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress)

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God." (Stephen, Braveheart [1995])

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
Re: The Lord's Prayer
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 07:56:43 AM »

Yes, I pray the Lord's prayer, and with conviction rather than simply like a mystical mantra or as hollow repititious words. Every verse has such meaning that it should be held up as both an outline for our longer prayers in our own words, and a synopsis when we cannot sit down in long prayers pouring out our souls to God.

I also recommend the many articles by good Christians who comment and exposit on the different parts of the Lord's prayer.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

midas

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2006, 02:06:35 AM »
Yes, I pray the Lords Prayer - and it serves as our pattern for other prayers

Lords prayer is found twice in the New Testament - Matthew 6:9 and Luke 11:2

In Matthew it is brought forward as an example or pattern of a prayer
in Luke’s Gospel we find our Lord asserting “When you pray, say”

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 03:39:09 AM »
Are we as believers praying the Lord's Prayer?  I'm curious.

:thinker: Good question.  I'd say we are praying the prayer the Lord gave us to pray. It's His prayer for us to pray. I'd say it's for us, but we are empowered by Him. In other words, He desires us to pray in this manner and gives us the will to do so.

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:10 AM »

But is the Lord's prayer a law to be strictly obeyed, and also is it non-denominational?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 04:00:00 AM »
>>>
Yeah but is the Lord's prayer a law to be strictly obeyed, and also is it non-denominational?
<<<

Absolutely it's non-denominational, as Christianirty itself is non-denominational. I don't recall Christ saying Christianity is Presbyterian, Baptist, Methodist, Reformed or a free church. These are man's titles and means of separation, not God's. You can only belong to either a true church or a false church. There are no others.

When you ask is it law, that depends on what you mean by that. If you mean we "must" recite it exactly as a mantra, then no. But if you mean is it a God given precept to summarize how we should pray, them yes. For all God's word is His laws (rules, regulations, instructions, decrees, edicts, commandments, directives, mandates, etc.)

The Lord's prayer is an outline of how we should pray, truly the essence of how a Christian should approach and pray to God Biblically. In this concise and succinct prayer Jesus encapsulate all that the faithful Christian steward should capture in prayer. There are some great articles around the web that touch on each one of the Lord's sentences and how they are important to, and pertain to our lives and relationship with Christ.

1. Our father, which art in Heaven
2. Hallowed be Thy Name
3. Thy Kingdom Come
4. Thy Will be Done
5. In Earth, as it is in heaven
6. Give us this day our daily bread
7. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors
8. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil
9. For thine is the kingdom, and the power
10. And the glory. for ever. Amen.

Indeed, this prayer Christ gave to us as an example is a composition unequalled for its divine summary, instruction, direction, comprehensiveness and encouragement.  It covers everything from progeny, sovereignty, will and purpose to help and duty. A truly beautiful prayer designed to express what we ought to pray for and the manner in which we are to do so.  In this perfect prayer we may discern the wrong way to pray as well as the pattern in which all our prayers should be framed--To His glory.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]