[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: 'prosperity' gospels  (Read 3149 times)

judykanova

• Gold Member
'prosperity' gospels
« on: March 11, 2005, 01:33:35 AM »
These 'prosperity' gospels that promote earthly riches and physical well being are so far off the mark, and contrary to the teaching of the Bible that it's pathetic.  They shy away from many passages (I wonder what they would do with the account of Lazarus and the rich man), and distort the ones they use to justify this false teaching. 

This post is prompted by Spurgeon's 3/9 daily devotional that features Acts 14:22 as follows:

"We must through much tribulation enter into the kingdom of God."

God's people have their trials. It was never designed by God, when He chose His people, that they should be an untried people. They were chosen in the furnace of affliction; they were never chosen to worldly peace and earthly joy. Freedom from sickness and the pains of mortality was never promised them; but when their Lord drew up the charter of privileges, He included chastisements amongst the things to which they should inevitably be heirs. Trials are a part of our lot; they were predestinated for us in Christ's last legacy. So surely as the stars are fashioned by his hands, and their orbits fixed by Him, so surely are our trials allotted to us: He has ordained their season and their place, their intensity and the effect they shall have upon us.

Good men must never expect to escape troubles; if they do, they will be disappointed, for none of their predecessors have been without them. Mark the patience of Job; remember Abraham, for he had his trials, and by his faith under them, he became the "Father of the faithful." Note well the biographies of all the patriarchs, prophets, apostles, and martyrs, and you shall discover none of those whom God made vessels of mercy, who were not made to pass through the fire of affliction.

It is ordained of old that the cross of trouble should be engraved on every vessel of mercy, as the royal mark whereby the King's vessels of honour are distinguished. But although tribulation is thus the path of God's children, they have the comfort of knowing that their Master has traversed it before them; they have His presence and sympathy to cheer them, His grace to support them, and His example to teach them how to endure; and when they reach "the kingdom," it will more than make amends for the "much tribulation" through which they passed to enter it.

Amen!  It's spiritual riches and wellbeing that we seek, as we count our blessings and learn to be 'content' in whatever state we're in.

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Baerchild

Re: 'prosperity' gospels
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »

These 'prosperity' gospels that promote earthly riches and physical well being are so far off the mark, and contrary to the teaching of the Bible that it's pathetic. 

Dear judy :)

Just kiddin' ...but not about this: Matthew 13:22 He also that received seed among the thorns is he that heareth the word; and the care of this world, and the deceitfulness of riches, choke the word, and he becometh unfruitful.
If The Lord will yet our eyes focus on His Word, we are sure to see that all this stuff we have or don't have is His property anyway...and He will surely let us know what to do with it, or we do indeed have a very, big problem.  We are at the complete mercy of The Lord.

Jim

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2005, 06:00:59 AM »
These 'prosperity' gospels that promote earthly riches and physical well being are so far off the mark, and contrary to the teaching of the Bible that it's pathetic.  They shy away from many passages (I wonder what they would do with the account of Lazarus and the rich man), and distort the ones they use to justify this false teaching. 

This post is prompted by Spurgeon's 3/9 daily devotional that features Acts 14:22

It's spiritual riches and wellbeing that we seek, as we count our blessings and learn to be 'content' in whatever state we're in.

judy

[Soapbox mode on]
This movement goes by many names, "Word-Faith Movement," "Name-in-Claim-it," "Health and Wealth Gospel," "Positive Confession," "Word of Faith," but they all have one thing in common. They make sure everyone knows that they love and link to the popular christian support of national Israel, and they play on people's greed and gullibility about religion to pry them from their money. I'll tell you what, in this world today we have digressed, and particularly in the realm of television. We have gone from a time of relative wholesome morality, to open immorality, degradation and hostility towards anyone preaching the law of God. We are now living in a time where people are openly anti religious.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

The so called "prosperity gospels" are the popular ones today because today that is what people want. They are happy to treat the gospel as nothing more than a get rich quick scheme. These propets preach that poverty is caused by sin and by disobeying the word of God. Many of them claim that "poverty is a curse" and that God wants us to use the gospel to become prosperous. This is in total contradiction to what God really wants.

1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

You know as well as I do that few christians today really study the Bible or even know the scriptures. Other than quoting John 3:16 or those passages promising prosperity, health or forgiveness, they don't know the scriptures. far too many who say they are christian are under the grip of the Roman Catholic Church, the TV Evan-Hell-icals, the political side-shows, and the power of positive thinking gospels. Don't you get the distinct impression that the Christian religion is for sale? Does Peter caution of this?

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Those in power who control the dispensation of religion seem to do so in the same way that Las Vegas controls gamblers. Through the people's greed and belief that there is an easy fix, or one pull lever that will answer their prayers. Isn't that a snapshot of society? With prophets like Leroy Jenkins, Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, John Hagee, Charles Cappsn, Pat Robinson, Kenneth Hagin, Frederick Price, E.W. Kenyon, John Jacobs, Benny Hinn, Marilyn Hickey, Joyce Meyer, Joyce Myers etc., these false prophets blanket the country with their false teachings. And even though questions surface about these charlitans (like Meyer's finances, the ministry funding a $2 million house for Meyer and her husband, David, plus others for her four children, who are on the ministry payroll) people by the tens of thousands continue to send these people money in hopes of becoming prosperous. This, while the biblical churches grow smaller and smaller even until it's now very hard to even find one.

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

So it seems God was aware that this apostasy was coming, and maybe even sent it. It makes sense when we see that so many are being deceived today, it almost seems supernatural. When we look at the apostles, people like Peter and Paul did not preach a "snake-oil" message, promising prosperity if only people would give him "seed" money. They did not seek to flatter people. They did not talk of government taxes and rebellion. They did not preach of how Israel would become great and evangelize the world, they preached of a spiritual kingdom and the work of witnessing. My how things have changed. What can we do but preach as the Apostles did and pray that some might respond before it's too late.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Daniel

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2005, 09:05:38 AM »

This post is prompted by Spurgeon's 3/9 daily devotional that features Acts 14:22

It's spiritual riches and wellbeing that we seek, as we count our blessings and learn to be 'content' in whatever state we're in.

judy

[Soapbox mode on]
This movement goes by many names, "Word-Faith Movement," "Name-in-Claim-it," "Health and Wealth Gospel," "Positive Confession," "Word of Faith," but they all have one thing in common. They make sure everyone knows that they love and link to the popular christian support of national Israel, and they play on people's greed and gullibility about religion to pry them from their money. I'll tell you what, in this world today we have digressed, and particularly in the realm of television. We have gone from a time of relative wholesome morality, to open immorality, degradation and hostility towards anyone preaching the law of God. We are now living in a time where people are openly anti religious.

Isaiah 5:20 Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

The so called "prosperity gospels" are the popular ones today because today that is what people want. They are happy to treat the gospel as nothing more than a get rich quick scheme. These propets preach that poverty is caused by sin and by disobeying the word of God. Many of them claim that "poverty is a curse" and that God wants us to use the gospel to become prosperous. This is in total contradiction to what God really wants.

1 Peter 5:2 Feed the flock of God which is among you, taking the oversight thereof, not by constraint, but willingly; not for filthy lucre, but of a ready mind;

You know as well as I do that few christians today really study the Bible or even know the scriptures. Other than quoting John 3:16 or those passages promising prosperity, health or forgiveness, they don't know the scriptures. far too many who say they are christian are under the grip of the Roman Catholic Church, the TV Evan-Hell-icals, the political side-shows, and the power of positive thinking gospels. Don't you get the distinct impression that the Christian religion is for sale? Does Peter caution of this?

2 Peter 2:1 But there were false prophets also among the people, even as there shall be false teachers among you, who privily shall bring in damnable heresies, even denying the Lord that bought them, and bring upon themselves swift destruction.
 2 And many shall follow their pernicious ways; by reason of whom the way of truth shall be evil spoken of.
 3 And through covetousness shall they with feigned words make merchandise of you: whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not, and their damnation slumbereth not.

Those in power who control the dispensation of religion seem to do so in the same way that Las Vegas controls gamblers. Through the people's greed and belief that there is an easy fix, or one pull lever that will answer their prayers. Isn't that a snapshot of society? With prophets like Leroy Jenkins, Robert Tilton, Kenneth Copeland, John Hagee, Charles Cappsn, Pat Robinson, Kenneth Hagin, Frederick Price, E.W. Kenyon, John Jacobs, Benny Hinn, Marilyn Hickey, Joyce Meyer, Joyce Myers etc., these false prophets blanket the country with their false teachings. And even though questions surface about these charlitans (like Meyer's finances, the ministry funding a $2 million house for Meyer and her husband, David, plus others for her four children, who are on the ministry payroll) people by the tens of thousands continue to send these people money in hopes of becoming prosperous. This, while the biblical churches grow smaller and smaller even until it's now very hard to even find one.

2 Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

2 Timothy 3:13 But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived.

So it seems God was aware that this apostasy was coming, and maybe even sent it. It makes sense when we see that so many are being deceived today, it almost seems supernatural. When we look at the apostles, people like Peter and Paul did not preach a "snake-oil" message, promising prosperity if only people would give him "seed" money. They did not seek to flatter people. They did not talk of government taxes and rebellion. They did not preach of how Israel would become great and evangelize the world, they preached of a spiritual kingdom and the work of witnessing. My how things have changed. What can we do but preach as the Apostles did and pray that some might respond before it's too late.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

The more I think about what is happening in the corperate church, I believe we are seeing the abomination of desolation that stands in the holy place.  The people that you mentioned as prophets, I see them as " the man of sin, the son of perdition, those that exalt themseleves above all that is called God, showing themseleves that they are God.  These people are obvious compared to the ones that expound premil., and postmil., or any other false gospel.  Such deception, that if those days aren,t shortened even the elect woud be deceived.  Forgive me if I seem to be harsh, but we must contend for the faith.
                                                                                  Dan

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2005, 10:55:43 AM »
-from Pearson:  You know as well as I do that few christians today really study the Bible or even know the scriptures. Other than quoting John 3:16 or those passages promising prosperity, health or forgiveness, they don't know the scriptures. far too many who say they are christian are under the grip of the Roman Catholic Church, the TV Evan-Hell-icals, the political side-shows, and the power of positive thinking gospels. Don't you get the distinct impression that the Christian religion is for sale? Does Peter caution of this?

-from Dan:  The more I think about what is happening in the corperate church, I believe we are seeing the abomination of desolation that stands in the holy place.  The people that you mentioned as prophets, I see them as " the man of sin, the son of perdition, those that exalt themseleves above all that is called God, showing themseleves that they are God.

Pearson and Dan,

What you say is so true. 

Satan -- the father of lies is the author of such false doctrines, and the father of those who promote them.  And like most false doctrines, they take some truth and twist and distort it until it becomes something dark and a snare to the unwary, unlearned, and those who like to have their ears and flesh 'tickled'. 

I think this passage best demonstrates the Lord's care of those who belong to Him, while making it very clear that material things should never be the focal point, and material wealth is promised to no man:

Mat 6:25-34
25† Therefore I say unto you, Take no thought for your life, what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink; nor yet for your body, what ye shall put on. Is not the life more than meat, and the body than raiment?
26† Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
27  Which of you by taking thought can add one cubit unto his stature?
28  And why take ye thought for raiment? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow; they toil not, neither do they spin:
29  And yet I say unto you, That even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
30  Wherefore, if God so clothe the grass of the field, which to day is, and to morrow is cast into the oven, shall he not much more clothe you, O ye of little faith?
31  Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32† (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33† But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.
34  Take therefore no thought for the morrow: for the morrow shall take thought for the things of itself. Sufficient unto the day is the evil thereof.

We know that Christ was tempted of Satan, just as we are, and it's no accident that the account given us in the Bible includes the temptation of greed/coveteousness -- as an example and as a warning to us:

Mat 4:1-11
1  Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
2  And when he had fasted forty days and forty nights, he was afterward an hungred.
3  And when the tempter came to him, he said, If thou be the Son of God, command that these stones be made bread.
4  But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.
5  Then the devil taketh him up into the holy city, and setteth him on a pinnacle of the temple,
6  And saith unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down: for it is written, He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
7  Jesus said unto him, It is written again, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.
8  Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
9† And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.
10† Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve.
11  Then the devil leaveth him, and, behold, angels came and ministered unto him.

No, it is not by accident that this account of Satan's attempts to tempt Christ, emphasizes the temptation of greed. 

Unfortunately, as Pearson said, most so called Christains don't study the Bible for themselves -- comparing Scripture with Scripture until they find harmony with any and all parts of God Word.  For it is so easy to cross the line into apostasy when one is led by the flesh instead of by the Spirit.

judy

'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2005, 03:14:45 PM »
I have not doubt that TV preacher charlatans like Benny Hinn will be reserved to the same intense hot-rooms as other villians like Iscariot, Hitler, and Bin Laden.

They are these who...., "say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels.  whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. "

dsouzaanthony

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2005, 11:39:15 AM »
I was a victim of these prosperity gospel false prophets.  I have lost lot of money because of their false teachings.  I was a fan of Kenneth Hagin and I was excited by his satanic visions.  I didn't know that the Bible was closed and there could be no heavenly visitation now.

Re 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. {out of the book...: or, from the tree of life}

The  miracles and the visions the prophets received and recorded in the Bible serve us as historical parable teaching us some aspect of gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ.  The whole of scripture testifies to Christ.

Lu 24:44 And he said unto them, These are the words which I spake unto you, while I was yet with you, that all things must be fulfilled, which were written in the law of Moses, and in the prophets, and in the psalms, concerning me.

45 Then opened he their understanding, that they might understand the scriptures,

Re 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.

These prosperity gospel preachers preach work based gospel.  They say that our faith is the instrument that brings salvation.  They are ignorant of both faith and work of our Lord Jesus Christ.  They are dispensationalists, pre-millianists.  Because their gospel is false and hence all their doctrines are false.

Jim Chosen

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 11:03:12 PM »
The prosperity "Profits" seem also to love prophecy. and their deceit has been prophecied: 2 Timothy 4:3-4  For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Don't worry. God is still in control and is working out His eternal plan. Ezekiel 14:9-10  And if the prophet be deceived when he hath spoken a thing, I the LORD have deceived that prophet, and I will stretch out my hand upon him, and will destroy him from the midst of my people Israel. And they shall bear the punishment of their iniquity: the punishment of the prophet shall be even as the punishment of him that seeketh unto him;

To God be the glory.

By His Grace,
Jim

daryl halter

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 11:23:34 AM »
Jim,
   You are absolutely right, God is in control, and even the wave of "name it claim it" preachers are according to His Plan.

I used to sit and wonder about what they were teaching.  I even felt compelled to give to a ministry at one point when I wasn't in His Word as much as I should have been. Then my previous church used a packaged sales program to increase giving for a construction project.  The "Christian" company said we needed to use this program of sermons and events to get people to give as they should. To convince them, compel them to give.
   I started searching the Bible as I really wanted to know what God would have me give "beyond" what I was currently giving. Here is what I found.:

Starting in 2 Corinthians Chapter 8 & 9.† What a rich testimony of the Heart of giving.
  8:5 And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with Godís will.  
  8:12 For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.

We were being asked to give "Sacrificially" and I beleive God does call us at times to give according to the prompting of the Holy Spirit.  We were being compelled to give and were told we might miss out on the "blessings". This is contrary to God's Word.

9:7 Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.   

I say all this to show how these prosperity preachings have slipped into some conservative churches.  These churches would not hold to the ways of the "TV prophets" yet when it suits their purpose they rely on the words of men rathe than the Word of God.

9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work.

What I have learned is that we must first submit to God personally then He will lead according to His will.

8:5  And they did not do as we expected, but they gave themselves first to the Lord and then to us in keeping with Godís will.

Most of these TV prophets and modern Church Growth & Building Programs use just the opposite method.
"Give to us and you'll be in God's will."  Our culture says "Buyer Beware".

I say. "Christian Beware"!!

What type of offering or sacrifice is pleasing to God.
God makes it clear in Psalm 51
15  O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth will declare your praise.
16  You do not delight in sacrifice, or I would bring it; you do not take pleasure in burnt offerings.
17  The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; a broken and contrite heart, O God, you will not despise.

In Christ,
Daryl

PS  What do these Prosperity Guru's do with Luke 12:15?
Luke 12:15 Then he said to them, "Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a manís life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions."

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]