[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Floating Ax - 2nd Kings 6:1-7  (Read 846 times)

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: The Floating Ax - 2nd Kings 6:1-7
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2017, 08:36:07 AM »
>>>
Tony,
 Why is this always the thing you cannot seem to understand with all your allegories.
<<<

Oh I understand your consternation entirely. Over the years you've made no secret of your aversion to God's analogies, parables and spiritual symbolism. But I didn't import allegories in Scripture to represent the Covenant, nor invent parables to confirm them, the good Lord authored them and inspired them to be written in the Bible. e.g.:

Galatians 4:22-24
  • "For it is written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman.
  • But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise.
  • Which things are an allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar."

I'm sure you are aware that the Priests, lawyers, Scribe and Pharisees had an aversion to these allegories also, and to this day their people won't accept them as God authored allegories concerning the Covenants with Israel.  Does that mean they are not, simply because a group of people deny them? The answer for any faithful Christian is, obviously not! I've said it 20 times, "Denial is the most predictable of all responses."

>>>
Sometimes miracles are just miracles...
<<<

Miracles are "never" just miracles, they all (every Single One) are a token of something far greater than a river turning to blood, a rock hit and pouring out water, a sea dried up, a blind man made to see, pots of water turning to wine, or a lost axe in Jordan head being made to float. Miracles are "never" just miracles.

Matthew 12:28-29
  • "But if I cast out devils by the Spirit of God, then the kingdom of God is come unto you.
  • Or else how can one enter into a strong man's house, and spoil his goods, except he first bind the strong man? and then he will spoil his house."

Christ didn't just do a miracle of casting out a devil so this man alone could be free of his bondage, He did this miracle to demonstrate through it that it was by His power that Satan was bound so that his prisoners could be set free and the millennial Kingdom and reign might commence. Yes, all that was illustrated in the miracle of casting out Satan from this man. Miracles are never just miracles, they always come with a message, as they are signs (significations) of some deeper spiritual truth.

Matthew 12:39-40
  • "But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:
  • For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth."

So then, was the miracle of Jonas being swallowed by a fish and being three days and three nights in its belly "just a miracle?" Or in truth, was it a indicator, a sign, a token, a portrait, a figure of something infinitely more important to come? To answer that, "it's just a miracle with no deeper meaning" is foolishness. Why do you think that of all the miracles Christ did in Israel, they (for the most part) were not convicted or convinced by them? No doubt because they had the attitude, ...they're just miracles.

>>>
... that cannot be explained
<<<

All miracles can be explained, that's why they were written in Scripture and why they are miracles (signs) or tokens of some deeper Spiritual truth. God wants His people to know, while by them confounding the wise in their own conceits. While you may think this understanding of miracles is foolishness, you may be unaware that it's foolishness to you for a reason. The wisdom of the flesh is not the wisdom of the Spirit, and vice-versa.

1st Corinthians 1:25-27
  • "Because the foolishness of God is wiser than men; and the weakness of God is stronger than men.
  • For ye see your calling, brethren, how that not many wise men after the flesh, not many mighty, not many noble, are called:/i]
  • But God hath chosen the foolish things of the world to confound the wise; and God hath chosen the weak things of the world to confound the things which are mighty;"

Not only does God's miracles illustrate it, but God's plan of salvation itself is deemed foolishness with men. But again, neither is either foolish or unexplainable. But one must have been given ears to hear.

Revelatione 3:6
  • "He that hath an ear, let him hear what the Spirit saith unto the churches."

But we all have ears--or do we?

>>>
and are simply to show the power God gives to men. Thats the beauty of it.
<<<

That is the beauty of it. Because the power God gives to men is the power to overcome death through the work of Christ, exactly what all these miracles symbolized. Indeed, that :"is" the beauty of it.

Romans 1:16
  • "For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ: for it is the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth; to the Jew first, and also to the Greek."

The truth is, the power of God unto salvation to men is by the miraculous work of Christ revealed in each and every one of these miracles that were performed throughout scripture.

>>>
Miracles don't need to be convoluted with more than they say,
<<<

More than they say? The question is, what do they say? Does the miracle of healing the blind say God's servants will be able to heal blind people so that they may physically see again, or does it say that this is a portrait of the work of Christ, who makes those saved by His work on the tree able to "see" the truth that previously they were blinded to? Does the miracle of Elisha raising a man from the dead say God's prophets will be able to do that today, or does it say that it is an illustration of the resurrection from the dead that Christ died on the tree to obtain for men? That's not convoluting a miracle, and it's neither overly intricate, complicated or particularly difficult to understand. But it must be heard with spiritual ears, and seen with Spiritual eyes, and felt in a new heart. Otherwise, as you say, ...it's just miracles.

Mar 16:17-18
  • "And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
  • They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover."

Why do you think there are Catholics, Pentecostals and Charismatics believing in exorcisms and in putting on a show compelling the devil to leave someone? Why do you think there are churches taking up snakes and laying hands on poor souls that are sick deluded into thinking they have such miraculous powers? It's because they think carnally, of the flesh, that miracles were done to show we will also have such supernatural powers. Not so, they were done as tokens or figures of the spiritual truth they "represented."

>>>
just taken on face value by faith that this was done to show Elisha was God's prophet.
<<<

They already knew Elisha was God's prophets, why do you think that they flocked to him to learn under him? Why do you think they revered him and asked him to accompany them to Jordan? No, this floating axe head miracle was not done to show these pupils that Elisha was God's prophet. It was done to show "all of us" the glorious nature of God's magnificent salvation program, and how through death on the tree of the cross, we all have been redeemed from judgment because of the debt that was "otherwise" unrecoverable.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]