[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Floating Ax - 2nd Kings 6:1-7  (Read 845 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
The Floating Ax - 2nd Kings 6:1-7
« on: September 23, 2017, 03:08:17 PM »

2Ki 6:1-7
[1]  And the sons of the prophets said unto Elisha, Behold now, the place where we dwell with thee is too strait for us.
[2]  Let us go, we pray thee, unto Jordan, and take thence every man a beam, and let us make us a place there, where we may dwell. And he answered, Go ye.
[3]  And one said, Be content, I pray thee, and go with thy servants. And he answered, I will go.
[4]  So he went with them. And when they came to Jordan, they cut down wood.
[5]  But as one was felling a beam, the axe head fell into the water: and he cried, and said, Alas, master! for it was borrowed.
[6]  And the man of God said, Where fell it? And he shewed him the place. And he cut down a stick, and cast it in thither; and the iron did swim.
[7]  Therefore said he, Take it up to thee. And he put out his hand, and took it.

Does anyone know the point or spiritual signification of this story? Why did Elisha went to great lengths to return a borrowed item?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Oneil

• I'm a llama!
Re: The Floating Ax - 2nd Kings 6:1-7
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2017, 09:53:45 PM »
That's a tough one. Don't know.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 12:28:04 PM »
Does anyone know the point or spiritual signification of this story? Why did Elisha went to great lengths to return a borrowed item?

Erik, I am writing a FAQ on this subject, I'll be happy to send you the draft if you want it. It's not for publication, but you can have it for your personal use and understanding if you want.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:52:44 PM »

Erik, I am writing a FAQ on this subject, I'll be happy to send you the draft if you want it. It's not for publication, but you can have it for your personal use and understanding if you want.

Hello Tony,

Please may I also request a copy ... if possible ..?

Thanking you in advance

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 03:23:09 PM »

Me Three!  :Question_:

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 03:36:19 PM »
Erik, I am writing a FAQ on this subject, I'll be happy to send you the draft if you want it. It's not for publication, but you can have it for your personal use and understanding if you want.[\quote]
[/size]
[/size]Good afternoon, Tony.  That would be fine. If I get it, I will review and let you my feedback. Blessings.
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 10:42:05 PM »
I have often wondered about that, so I would like a look at that too, if possible.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 02:24:06 AM »
 :ditto:

James Heckman

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 04:38:03 AM »
I don't see any great mystery. The returning of the axe head simply shows that God cares about his prophets. It shows that when they are frustrated in their work, he will be their help and also take care of their economic problems. That's why he returned the prophet's axe head so that he could continue building.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 07:02:02 AM »
 :idonotagree: Nothing's that simple with God's miracles James  :BibleRead:

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2017, 11:10:16 AM »

I don't think he should just give it to his select friends, he should release it to everyone to check out, or to no one.  :(
"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Puritan Heart

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2017, 11:47:40 AM »

I don't think he should just give it to his select friends, he should release it to everyone to check out, or to no one.  :(

Hello Rose,

Please take care to read the reply Tony gave to Erik again ... he offers to Erik a *draft.*  As you may or may not know, any draft is always subject to change prior to publishing but I believe he offered this to Erik since it was his enquiry and secondly, based on his advanced understanding of scripture, Erik would not overtly critisize any fault he might find in the incomplete document, rather, he would maturely bring any error / question to the attention of Tony for correction.  Unfortunately, there are those on this forum who lack basic courtesy and online etiquette ...c'est la vie ...

There can be little doubt that the full article will be available at a later date for publishing.  We might all be better off exercising a little patience, myself included  :)

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Reggie Matthews

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2017, 02:00:03 PM »
 :Goodpoint:
"Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?" -Ecclesiastes 8:4

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2017, 03:14:12 PM »
Hello all,
   I have spent some time on it today and finished enough of it to release it publicly (I may edit some of it later). I'll go over it again and will post the link before the end of the day. Thanks for your patience.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2017, 03:53:51 PM »

The Miracle of Elisha and the Floating Axe Head

http://www.mountain-retreat.org/faq/miracle-of-elisha-and-the-floating-axe-head.html

I concentrated on those 7 verses, all criticisms welcomed.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]