[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What About The Prayer of Jabez  (Read 2802 times)

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: What About The Prayer of Jabez
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 05:56:54 PM »
Thank you Peter.  We need questions to make us continue searching the Scriptures and our hearts.  I think it has been getting too quiet here lately.  Is it just a lack of time?  Or have they found some better sounding board for good exegesis?
Lloyd

Harold

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2015, 08:10:49 AM »
Thank you Peter.  We need questions to make us continue searching the Scriptures and our hearts.  I think it has been getting too quiet here lately.  Is it just a lack of time?  Or have they found some better sounding board for good exegesis?
Lloyd

This malaise is happening everywhere. Even over at the highway forum, it has become as dead as a doorknob. Maybe the apostasy has a greater scope and reach than people imagined. I am stunned by the non participation in most all Christian forums except the liberal ones. But let me get back on topic before I feel the hammer. :)

The Prayer of Jabez is lauded by some, even reformed Christians say it is harmless, and criticized by others. Who knows if it is harmful or not.

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2015, 08:21:29 PM »
We read many stories in Scriptures like Jabez that seem random and out of context.  And then as we dig into the broader spiritual indicators we always seem to find connections to the Gospel.  Maybe there is something in this name.  It has no connections as a whole.  But look at these parts.  The Ja part reminds us of Jehovah or Lord.  And the bz is the root of several words related to being cut off.  His mother bore him in sorrow.  Reminds us of:

Gen 3:16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

Isaiah 53:3 He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.
... 8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

Tony had suggested we compare this prayer to the Lord's prayer.  In that context, 'thy will be done' was pointing Peter toward Christ being cut off for us.  I.e. Christ fulfilled all that prayer for us.  After being led into temptation, He was delivered from the evil one to receive the fruits requested just like Jabez.

Isaiah 53:10 Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.

Lloyd

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 07:48:03 AM »

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 09:28:58 AM »

Are we being a little to critical of this book and author? It's not perfect, but what book is beside the bible. Isn't any book that tells you to pray a good book?

Colleen

• I will make you free indeed
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2015, 04:04:41 PM »
We read many stories in Scriptures like Jabez that seem random and out of context.  And then as we dig into the broader spiritual indicators we always seem to find connections to the Gospel.  Maybe there is something in this name.  It has no connections as a whole.  But look at these parts.  The Ja part reminds us of Jehovah or Lord.  And the bz is the root of several words related to being cut off.  His mother bore him in sorrow.

Interesting! I know there is a spiritual connection to Jabez asking to have his borders enlarged, but I never really thought about his name.

Colleen

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »
This prayer was not repetitious, nor was it with presumption that he could "unlock" some magical Christian power over Gods by a man-made formula.

God point. Just his telling us to pray 30 days and our prayers will be answered is enough to let me know what he is saying is not from the Bible.  We live in a day when people desire some kind of "magic mantra" to bring them the good fortune that they want, rather than studying the bible for that in-depth relationship with God. The prayer of Jabez was excellent, but the interpretation of the prayer of Jabez by Wilkinson is twisted.  Like you said, people want a Genie in a bottle rather than the God of the Bible. The idea that we can pray this for two weeks and we'll get what we want is totally against the doctrine of Christ.

Colleen

« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2015, 04:21:50 PM »

Are we being a little to critical of this book and author?

If that's a legitimate question, then the answer is no. It falls into the category of "Take a stand for something or fall for anything". Somebody has to stand up and be counted.

It's not perfect, but what book is beside the bible. Isn't any book that tells you to pray a good book?

Again, is this a legitimate question?  Because the the Tao-te Ching, the Koran and the book of Mormon tells you to pray. Didn't the Scribes and Pharisees pray? I'm sure nearly every religion tells you to pray, don't they? It's not prayer that is good, but the God you are praying to. And if you are deceived, you're praying to the wrong God.

Peter

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
Lloyd

I'm sorry to say that in my case, it was a matter of time. I'm just catching up on reading my mail, not even realizing that I had responses and answers to my questions and comments. I guess I should make time, but I didn't.  Just not perfect yet.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]