[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why Study Theology?  (Read 1180 times)

tshusker

• Doctrine Matters
Why Study Theology?
« on: December 14, 2005, 10:17:36 PM »
http://www.onthewing.org/user/Th_Why%20Study%20Theology.pdf

Why Study Theology?
by Shane Rosenthal
© 1993 Reformation Ink (revised 05/01/02)
Shane Rosenthal, M.A., Historical Theology, Westminster Theological Seminary in CA, is a freelance writer, editor and producer.

What's your favorite point/observation made by Mr. Rosenthal?  Mine is (among others), "Can we really know God apart from knowing about him?"

ď...s the celestial glory of so little esteem with him, that he counteth it not worth running the hazard of a few difficulties to obtain it?Ē  (John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress)

"In order to find his equal, an Irishman is forced to talk to God." (Stephen, Braveheart [1995])

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
Re: Why Study Theology?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2005, 10:40:50 PM »

What's your favorite point/observation made by Mr. Rosenthal?  Mine is (among others), "Can we really know God apart from knowing about him?"

In the biblical sense, yes. John the Baptist knew God from the womb. In other words, salvation equals knowing God. Simply by having his spirit within us, means we know him and he knows us. By contrast, the unsaved never know God, nor God them, no matter how long they read or studied the bible.

Matt 7:23
  "And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity".

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 02:16:32 PM »

"From that time forth began Jesus to shew unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men. Matthew 16:21-23"

Here, Peter had an ungodly theology. In fact, it was so ungodly that it was as if Satan himself were talking to Jesus. But what was so bad about what Peter said? Well, briefly stated, he was focused on "the things of men" rather than Christ's mission of the cross. This is one of the biggest problems in the church today. In many pulpits across this country, you will hear passionate and exciting things,
even very religious things. But many of them are ultimately focused on the things of men rather
than on the centrality of the cross. If Peter could get sidetracked, so can your pastor, and so can
you. This is the heart of the matter for us today. Because we think that theology is irrelevant, we have been "conformed" to the world's way of thinking rather than being "transformed by the renewing of our minds" (Rom 12:2).

Only if we resist the emphasis on personal experience, self indulgence, and the anti-intellectualism of our day, and begin to mine the rich resources of our Christian faith and heritage, then will we "no longer be infants, tossed back and forth by the waves, and blown here and there by every wind of teaching.
 :amen:

Granny

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »

Why study theology?  Because Godís will for your life isnít really about your life.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 04:14:23 AM »
Why Study Theology?

You mean Knowing about Mr. Rosenthal's vision of Him? but why study theology?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 08:35:06 AM »
>>>
You mean Knowing about Mr. Rosenthal's vision of Him?
<<<

Did not Mr. Rosenthal get his knowledge of Him from the Spirit through the study of the Bible? If the vission of Him is from the Bible, it is God's view.

>>>
...but why study theology?
<<<

The primary reason for studying theology is so that we will gain a clearer and accurate understanding of Scripture. Like anything else, we cannot really have any good knowledge of anything without the study of it. If we truly believe that the Holy Bible is the divine, spirit breathed  (2nd Peter 1:21) and authoritative word of the living God, then it is incumbent upon all faithful Christians to not only glean His wisdom from it but to use it to be equipped unto all His good will and pleasure.

2nd Timothy 3:15-17
  • "And that from a child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.
  • All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
  • That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works."

If we truly are Spirit filled Christians we will automatically want to earnestly learn what His word teaches about Him, not only for head knowledge but for accuracy that is independent of leaders and teachers that may have a flawed understanding. i.e., the Roman Catholic Hierarchy, Dispensationalists, Pat Robertson, Pentecostals, and on and on. Without the study of theology, even in a fundamental way, we are ripe to be deceived by charlatans. Thus we study theology in a structured way to obtain accurate knowledge and understanding of the God of the Bible--as opposed to say, the gods of the imaginations of men's minds. In order to do that, we must have an authority and then reflect upon its teaching, rather than submit to our own will, beliefs or private opinions about what is right and wrong. In short...

2nd Timothy 2:15
  • "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."

We can't be approved of God without honestly handling (literally, cutting "straight" ) the word of God that we understand accurately what it says. Truth is knowledge, knowledge is power, and God's word is truth.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]