[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Christians Capable of Anything Wicked?  (Read 3582 times)

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
Are Christians Capable of Anything Wicked?
« on: May 21, 2007, 08:46:45 AM »
one party has as much wrong with it as the other. Why? Because they are all human and part of a fallen world. God is neither republican nor democrat and He is not impressed by people who use religious innuendo and His people to their own agendas.  One thing I have had to learn over and over is that no person is above reproach - I truly believe that everyone and anyone is capable of anything at anytime because of the fallen nature of our world and the people who inhabit it - that goes for politicians , religious leaders, and ordinary citizens ....... all human ....... and from the same pile of dirt. There are no pedestals.

Abbiegirl

Interesting! But I am not sure that I agree with it totally. I don't think anyone is capable of anything. That seems like a good excuse for any sin. I don't think anyone is capable of anything, at least not after they have truly become saved. Could a real Christian be a Timothy McVeigh and blow up a federal building with women and children inside? I find that hard to believe. Wouldn't God stop someone who is truly saved and keep him from that? What do you think?
  Curious!

Anne

• Grow With God
Re: Are Christians Capable of Anything Wicked?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2007, 08:22:30 AM »
one party has as much wrong with it as the other. Why? Because they are all human and part of a fallen world. God is neither republican nor democrat and He is not impressed by people who use religious innuendo and His people to their own agendas.  One thing I have had to learn over and over is that no person is above reproach - I truly believe that everyone and anyone is capable of anything at anytime because of the fallen nature of our world and the people who inhabit it - that goes for politicians , religious leaders, and ordinary citizens ....... all human ....... and from the same pile of dirt. There are no pedestals.

Abbiegirl

Interesting! But I am not sure that I agree with it totally. I don't think anyone is capable of anything. That seems like a good excuse for any sin. I don't think anyone is capable of anything, at least not after they have truly become saved. Could a real Christian be a Timothy McVeigh and blow up a federal building with women and children inside? I find that hard to believe. Wouldn't God stop someone who is truly saved and keep him from that? What do you think?
  Curious!

Curious,
 I think that she meant that as human beings born in sin, we are desperately wicked vipers capable of anything, not that we would do anything. 

Jeremiah 17:9
 "The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it"?

I don't think any christian is capable of anything in the wicked sense either. Christians may sin, but they are not living in sin so that they could do something like Mcveigh. I think that this scripture applies, don't you?

1 Corinthians 10:13
 "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it".

So when a christian goes through trials, God is working in him to keep him from falling into deadly sins. With the temptation, God will give the Christian a way to escape it. He will not leave us nor forsake us. Don't you agree?

Theo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »
Well, we all are still human. Maybe Christians are capable of anything wicked, but they will not remain in their wickedness or continue down those paths of unrighteousness.

Let me add that genuine Christians will not willfully sin against God. So if a person should continue in willfull sins against God, that might be an evidence that they are not truly born from above.

Born again Christians can temporarily fall into sin so that they lie, cheat, steal, even murder, as King David did, but they have repentance and they have regret and they have the desire and will to confess their sins and beg forgiveness.

As opposed to false Christians who deny they have sinned, make excuses, justify themselves, etc., because they don't have God's spirit.

The Bible teaches that all sin is a willful act of disobedience against God. If we think the Apostle Paul never sinned after he was saved, we are not reading the bible.

GoldRush

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2007, 02:08:48 PM »
Well, we all are still human. Maybe Christians are capable of anything wicked, but they will not remain in their wickedness or continue down those paths of unrighteousness.

Let me add that genuine Christians will not willfully sin against God. So if a person should continue in willfull sins against God, that might be an evidence that they are not truly born from above.

Born again Christians can temporarily fall into sin so that they lie, cheat, steal, even murder, as King David did, but they have repentance and they have regret and they have the desire and will to confess their sins and beg forgiveness.

As opposed to false Christians who deny they have sinned, make excuses, justify themselves, etc., because they don't have God's spirit.

The Bible teaches that all sin is a willful act of disobedience against God. If we think the Apostle Paul never sinned after he was saved, we are not reading the bible.

Amen, Theo.

The law of sin remains in the Christian and can cause great tension:

"But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members."  Romans 7:23

The Apostle John said if we deny being capable of sin, we are liars:

"If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us."  I John 1:8

However, Christians who have the Spirit of Christ (the "seed of Christ") abiding within, will not continually practice sin:

"Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God."  I John 3:9

By God's grace, through the gift of faith and the granting of repentance, the Christian has victory over his capacity to sin:

" . .  thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ."  I Corinthians 15:57

"For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith."  I John 5:4

"For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin. 
Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may  obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."  Hebrews 4:15&16

"There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it."  I Corinthians 10:13

Besides giving us His grace and power to keep us from sin, He forever mediates before the Father on our behalf, to forgive us our sins:

"If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."  I John 1:9

"There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit."  Romans 8:1

Because of these wonderful teachings, we can live realistically, not imposing perfection upon ourselves and others, and yet consciously and successfully choose not to sin, but to serve righteousness, despite our failings.

"Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe . . ."  Romans 3:22

Saving faith is serving and trusting in the righteousness of Jesus Christ, and not our own.  For we will too often fall into temptation and sin, but He is faithful to keep us according to His righteousness, for:

"For he knoweth our frame; he remembereth that we are dust."  Psalms 103:14

J&R

GoldRush
". . Without Me, you can do nothing."
  John 15:5

Theo

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2007, 02:42:12 PM »
J&R,
  Excellent scriptures that show that no man is an island, and without the forgiveness of Christ we are all under wrath of God. Thank you for that.

I also agree with Anne, that some people use grace as an excuse for sin.  And I forget where the scripture is, but the bible says God forbid that we should live any longer in sin.

So it must be twofold. We do sin, but we don't live in sin. Maybe it's sort of a dichotomy.

GoldRush

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 03:31:14 PM »

I also agree with Anne, that some people use grace as an excuse for sin.  And I forget where the scripture is, but the bible says God forbid that we should live any longer in sin.

"God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?"  Romans 6:2 

"What then? shall we sin, because we are not under the law, but under grace? God forbid."  Romans 6:15

So it must be twofold. We do sin, but we don't live in sin. Maybe it's sort of a dichotomy.

An ungodly man is marked by his continual practice of sin.  A son of God is marked by his continual practice of repentance.

"For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.  For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.   Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not  subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.  So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.  But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.  And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.  But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your  mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.  Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live."  Romans 8:5-13

J&R
GoldRush
". . Without Me, you can do nothing."
  John 15:5

Joshua Ashley

• Faith is given to us from God. To whom he choose's
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2007, 06:59:25 PM »

Wickedness is from satan not the LORD.

Rom 6:16  Know ye not, that to whom ye yield yourselves servants to obey, his servants ye are to whom ye obey; whether of sin unto death, or of obedience unto righteousness?

so how could a christian who is a slave to Jesus Christ, do the wicked deeds of satan.

but yes while we are in the flesh we will sin, but we don't continue to do wickedly. for we are called to be holy as he is holy. not say well we all sin and its ok. ever time we sin it ought to humble us.

1Pe 1:14  As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:

1Pe 1:15  But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;

1Pe 1:16  Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

And it is sad that some use grace as an excuse for sin, its sad for it is clear they have not grace.

And also we have a greater LIGHT than king David, and we also have a continuing presence with him the Holy Spirit. He will never leave us nor forsake us. For king David had not the revalation that we have. Look at the NT saints did they do any wickedness? but they told others to seperate from such

1Cr 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God [is] faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear [it].

If there is not an on going longing for holiness and longing to hate what HE hates and loving what HE loves than were none of his.

Rev 4:11  Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.

Joshua Ashley

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:41:16 AM »
King David was saved and he committed murder in order to have another man's wife, so I don't think that we have the right to say any sin disqualifies someone from being saved. Except blasphemy of the holy Spirit.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]