[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Decline of Christianity  (Read 5637 times)

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
Re: The Decline of Christianity
« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2017, 12:33:01 PM »
Are you implying that the election of a righteous man like Trump hasn't brought the gospel of Christ to the world?  :Fighting:

Just Kidding! ;)

Maybe I do spend to much time on politics and not enough on the gospel. That's something I certainly need to consider.  I will say I agree 100 percent with you and with the others on the reason for the decline of the church. The ministers, those whom God called the messengers of the church, have forsaken their duty as messenger of his word and allowed the corruption of Christ's teachings. That in turn allows those in the church to become unfaithful, without a pastor to reel them in. There's no question about that.

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #76 on: April 05, 2017, 09:04:04 PM »
Are you implying that the election of a righteous man like Trump hasn't brought the gospel of Christ to the world?  :Fighting:

Just Kidding! ;)

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #77 on: April 05, 2017, 09:15:28 PM »

I assume from your question that you know who Dabney is, but for those who don't know, Robert Lewis (R.L.) Dabney was Stonewall Jackson’s chief of staff and chaplain during the Civil War, a controversial Christian author of the 1800's who much of the Reformed community have latched onto and who's views are quite racist. But that's not the problem. Lots of people were racist in those days, that didn't mean they weren't saved. The real problem is "some" christians today want to put forth an argument that he wasn't racist (like John did about Bundy in that thread I bumped), but was just misunderstood because he used unfortunate wording. ::)

That's ridiculous and that is the real problem. The failure of many conservative Christians to recognize racism because I believe they themselves are closet racists. The minute you use the word racism they fly into a tizzy about liberals destroying the nation and other rants that have no bearing on what you were discussing. My position is that there is no need to white wash the fact that R.L. Dabney was a racist (Martin Luther was antisemitic) because none of us are perfect in our thinking. But their position is that he wasn't racist at all, it's just that we (or anyone who actually looks at the facts) are "liberals" who throw that term around without any basis. Then they redefine the word racism so that it's nearly impossible for anyone to be a racist.

Ok, I get your point Philly Dawg. I really didn't know that about Dabney and it's a eye opener for me.   The way some of his writings are you would think he was more educated, but I guess this proves the old adage, you can't judge a book by its cover. What did Christ say? It's what's inside that matters.  Obviously he was a really bitter and ugly man inside. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my question because I had not heard any of this before. Now I understand where you are coming from since I have heard many people justify their racism in life also. Just not really in a Christian setting or forum. The South lives I guess.

Nina

• Obviously I'm a Novice

Nina

• Obviously I'm a Novice

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2017, 03:43:33 AM »
Don't believe that. That's the Washington Post liberal media attempting to make you believe the church is declining. The church is not declining, and the proof is that we all got together and played a major role in electing Trump President. Without us, he would have lost. That's something we all as Christians should be proud of. It's only flower children like Tony Warren, Erik, Reformer and the like who are trying to make people swallow liberal ideas and believe that the church is in trouble. The liberal left have an agenda and it is to remove Christian principles. I go to church every sunday and I am not alone.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2017, 05:33:09 PM »
>>>
Don't believe that. That's the Washington Post liberal media attempting to make you believe the church is declining.
<<<

The belief that the church is declining is not "seen" through secular articles in the Washington post, but in the words f the Bible through spiritual eyes. It is seen through testing, through comparing Scripture with Scripture, through considering whether God's word agrees with man's word. The Lord exhorts us to prove all things and that includes the church that we have decided to belong to. For when we stand before God, we're not going to be able to excuse our abominations by saying our Catholic Priests deceived us, or our Reformed church tradition was wrong, or our evangelical leaders taught us false doctrines. We stand or fall on on what we believe, as compared with what is in the Holy Bible, not as compared with what we read in the Post, Journal or Courier.

1st John 4:1
  • "Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world."

Meaning, no one is to blindly believe me, or you, or their church or Pastor. They are to try or test the spirits and see if they are in agreement with what the word of God says, versus their own personal opinions and  suppositions. Does the churches today still hold to sound doctrines once delivered to the saints and as prescribed in the word of God? That is the question. The question is not, do we believe what we read in a secular article.

>>>
 The church is not declining, and the proof is that we all got together and played a major role in electing Trump President. Without us, he would have lost. That's something we all as Christians should be proud of.  I go to church every sunday and I am not alone.
<<<

You may go to a church George, but is it the church of Christ? If you want to believe that the church is doing fine and there is no decline, of course that is your prerogative. But even Christ has warned us before against thinking that He is somewhere that He is not, because many false teachers and prophets will abound and will be out to deceive us.

Matthew 24:24-26
  • "For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
  • Behold, I have told you before.
  • Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not."

I expect people to tell me Christ is still over here and he's still over there in this or that church when He is not. Because that's what false Christians and false teachers do. They convince us that their church is a church of Christ, despite the fact that it is disobedient unto death. Christ warsn, "Believe It Not," or in other words, He knows there will be deceivers claiming Christ and we are not to believe it when told Christ is over there or over here. He is not a Christ that can be in collusion with the house of Dispensationalism, it is a fallen house with false teachers, it is a house spiritually as Babylon preaching all sorts of unbiblical theories and man made ideas. Foreign ideas such as your beliefs in unsubstantiated  fables about the nation of Israel, doctrines of free will, ideas of political grandeur brought about by the church. You may say "Peace, Peace" wall you want, but where is the peace? Is it hiding in such houses? Is it in the Desert, under the bed or hidden in a steeple in Arkansas? It's a desert or wilderness where "you claim" Christ is, but Christ is not there because He has no agreement as light with darkness? Can Christ and the man of sin rule in one house together? Is Christ Catholic, Protestant and Dispensationalist also? The Scriptures indicate no.

>>>
It's only flower children like Tony Warren, Erik, Reformer and the like who are trying to make people swallow liberal ideas and believe that the church is in trouble. The liberal left have an agenda and it is to remove Christian principles.
<<<

Actually, the Christian principles are already removed and candles already put out, but unfortunately there are a massive number of professing Christians who haven't yet figured that out. Yes, I'm sure you'd like God's people to say there is peace, when there is no peace, and to tell you tings that you want to hear about this nation, the church, the world and Israel, but the faithful witness gives a faithful testimony, not the one you desire.

Isaiah 30:9-12
  • "That this is a rebellious people, lying children, children that will not hear the law of the LORD:
  • Which say to the seers, See not; and to the prophets, Prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits:
  • Get you out of the way, turn aside out of the path, cause the Holy One of Israel to cease from before us.
  • Wherefore thus saith the Holy One of Israel, Because ye despise this word, and trust in oppression and perverseness, and stay thereon:
  • Therefore this iniquity shall be to you as a breach ready to fall, swelling out in a high wall, whose breaking cometh suddenly at an instant."

Yes, I could prophesy deceits and tell you the church is as great as it ever was, I could tell you smooth things you could swallow without difficulty, I could tell you that we're on the verge of a great nation, but then I would be betraying the Lord. I will not turn aside out of the path or be a cause for the Holy One to cease from before us. The chuirch is declining and has become spiritually as Sodom and Egypt.

George, if flower children means children who worship the Rose of of Sharon, and the Lily of the valleys, we'll be happy to take that and say "Thank You!"  Better that than what so many worship in the church today, which is mainly themselves, assuring that their own will, rather tan God's, be done in earth. The sinful man, or the man of sin, is already seated in the once Holy Temple and ruling as if he were God. Man on his own throne worships he knows not what, but we worship God. If that's what you call liberal, fine. I'm comfortable with God defining who I am and who I serve, rather than man.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #82 on: May 16, 2017, 08:31:32 AM »
The belief that the church is declining is not "seen" through secular articles in the Washington post, but in the words f the Bible through spiritual eyes. It is seen through testing, through comparing Scripture with Scripture, through considering whether God's word agrees with man's word.

There's more to life than quoting scripture Tony. Christianity isn't defined by how many people quote scripture, but by how many have the spirit to love Israel and serve God. Not by how many say "thus saith the Lord". You need to work on your preaching skills.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #83 on: May 17, 2017, 07:49:39 PM »
There's more to life than quoting scripture Tony.

Like what? Privately interpreting it? Twisting it? Ignoring it? Taking away from it? Adding to it? What is greater than faithfully witnessing to the unadulterated word of God? Tell me, what is better than saying thus saith the Lord, when the Lord has said?

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #84 on: May 18, 2017, 11:17:13 AM »

Like what? Privately interpreting it? Twisting it? Ignoring it? Taking away from it? Adding to it? What is greater than faithfully witnessing to the unadulterated word of God? Tell me, what is better than saying thus saith the Lord, when the Lord has said?

:ditto: Keep Quoting Scripture, thus saith the Lord is "NOT" something that we should neglect!

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #85 on: May 19, 2017, 12:26:13 PM »
>>>
<<<

There sure is, like actually hearing the Scriptures quoted, for instance.

Matthew 7:22-25
  • "Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
  • And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.
  • Therefore whosoever heareth these sayings of mine, and doeth them, I will liken him unto a wise man, which built his house upon a rock:
  • And the rain descended, and the floods came, and the winds blew, and beat upon that house; and it fell not: for it was founded upon a rock."

>>>
Christianity isn't defined by how many people quote scripture, but by how many have the spirit to love Israel and serve God.
<<<

Quoting Scripture is called being a witness to the testimony of God, while quoting John Walvoord is called being a witness to the testimony of Mr. Walvoord. I know which one is God honoring, do you?

2nd Corinthians 1:12
  • "For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward."

>>>
 Not by how many say "thus saith the Lord".
<<<

How many is decidedly "Not Enough" as far as I'm concerned. Would we did have more saying "Thus saith the Lord," instead of "This is what I think is best."

Psalms 106:3
  • "Blessed are they that keep judgment, and he that doeth righteousness at all times."

Clearly, it is not enough to praise God with the mouth, giving lip service to love while rejectiung His precepts due to a hard heart.

>>>
You need to work on your preaching skills.
<<<

I won't argue that, perhaps I do.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #86 on: June 12, 2017, 12:09:19 AM »
>>>
<<<

There sure is, like actually hearing the Scriptures quoted, for instance.

I had to laugh when I read that, because there are so many times in my witnessing that what I'm saying actually goes right over the head of who I am saying it to. They hear it on a physical ear level, but they just don't hear it. So even though it says exactkly what I had said, they still say I'm wrong. It's unexplainable when they are supposed to be Christians and accepting of God's word.

Thanks so much for your insights. Do you suppose they'll come a time when there aren't anymore Christians?

Dan

• Dan the Man
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2017, 02:08:00 AM »
  Thanks so much for your insights. Do you suppose they'll come a time when there aren't anymore Christians?

Never! They'll never come a time when there are no more Christians. The church will continue right up until the day of the rapture when they will be taken home. The church is not in as much decline as some would he you believe.

http://www1.cbn.com/how-christianity-growing-around-world

aquatic

« Reply #88 on: June 12, 2017, 04:50:58 AM »
There will be Christians until the coming of Christ:

1 Thessalonians 4:(14-17) For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #89 on: June 12, 2017, 01:55:45 PM »

The question shouldn't be if Christianity is declining, but why is Christianity declining?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]