[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Quotes and Periods and their Placement  (Read 102 times)

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Quotes and Periods and their Placement
« on: September 11, 2017, 08:19:14 AM »

I have a question that I feel embarrassed about and I guess I should have learned it in school, but for whatever reason I don't remember being taught it or learning it. My question is, should periods and commas go inside the quotation marks or outside? I see both ways practiced here.

Puritan Heart

Re: Quotes and Periods and their Placement
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 02:06:02 PM »

I have a question that I feel embarrassed about and I guess I should have learned it in school, but for whatever reason I don't remember being taught it or learning it. My question is, should periods and commas go inside the quotation marks or outside? I see both ways practiced here.

Hello Gerry,

Never too late to learn, thus no need to feel embarrassed.  :)

I learnt that periods or full stop marks and commas, all punctuation for that matter, are placed within the quotation marks. 

I hope that helps.

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 04:59:42 PM »

I don't remember either Gerry so you are not alone. However I googled it and came up with an answer. Actually both ways are acceptable and depending upon where you live, that's the way you may have been taught. Most in this country put it inside the quotes, but some places and other countries place it outside, so there's no real standard or incorrect way. I think it looks neater inside, but that's just me.

Source:

Click > Google Answers

Gerry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2017, 06:16:33 AM »

Thank you both.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]