[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: My Favorite Labor Day Recipies  (Read 17668 times)

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
My Favorite Labor Day Recipies
« on: July 11, 2008, 09:00:08 AM »
The labor day weekend is more than a recognition of the contributions of America's working men and women, it is also summer's last hurrah. Yes, Labor Day is the unofficial end to summer,  and a perfect weekend for a family get together and cook-in or out. Following are some of my Labor day favorites.
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
Re: Labor Day Recipies
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2008, 11:14:29 AM »
Labor Day Weekend recipes that are good and easy!

BARBEQUE RIBS
Ingredients:
3 slabs sm. to med. size pork ribs
1/2 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. Louisiana Hot Sauce
1 c. Worcestershire sauce
1 c. A-1 steak sauce
1 c. Kraft Barbeque Sauce
1/3 c. liquid Hickory Smoke
1 1/2 tsp. garlic salt
3 tsp. onion salt
2 tsp. black peppers

Directions:
Use 7 lbs. charcoal briquettes and 1 lb. of wet hickory chips.  Wash - rinse ribs. Place in large pan. Sprinkle garlic, onion salt, pepper evenly. Cover with lemon juice and hot sauce. Let set in cool place several hours or overnight in refrigerator.
Heat grill, preferably with charcoal briquettes - hickory wood. Wait for coals to turn white. Place meat on grill, turn often. If flare-up of flame douse with clear water. The meat should cook slowly with a cover to absorb ample flavor.

Mix all sauces in bowl. When ribs begin to get tender, brush ribs on both sides. When meat begins to pull away from bone, remove from heat. Preserve remaining sauce.
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2008, 11:12:09 PM »
great recipes! I think the mashed potatoes would be great as sides.   

I am wondering if you know a recipe that taste better than KFC's?  ;)

Erik

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Pamela

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 08:21:13 AM »
Italian Caponata  (sweet and sour)

2 green or red (or both) bell peppers
1 eggplant
1 large or 2 small potatoes peeled
1 onion
10 pitted green olives
1 tbsp pine nuts (optional)
celery to taste
2 cups tomatoe sauce
oil for cooking  (perferably olive oil)
1 tblsp vinegar
1 tsp sugar

Chop up bell peppers into large 2 inch square (?) pieces.  Do the same with eggplant.  Chop up some celery and dice the onions.  Cube potatoes.

In a large frying pan, fry bell peppers, eggplant, and potatoes each separately.  Fry the onion after all these.  When they are almost done (still crispy), put all these ingredients (except vingegar and sugar) in the pan along with all the other ingredients.  Add some salt to taste and stir occasionally.  When the vegetables are done, ...in a small cup, put 1 Tblsp of vinegar, and 1 tsp of sugar.  Mix them up well, and then add them to the veggies and stir.  Taste to see if it is sweet enough for you.  If not, add a "touch" more sugar.  I myself do not like it that sweet.

This recipe makes quite a bit, and tastes somewhat like Chinese sweet and sour sauce.  It is best used with meat (hamburgers, breaded cutlets, chicken,ect), as a side dish, or over rice.  Mmmmm Mmmmmm!

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2008, 09:19:10 AM »
great recipes! I think the mashed potatoes would be great as sides.   

I am wondering if you know a recipe that taste better than KFC's?  ;)

Erik

Any good down home old fashioned southern fried Chicken recipe would taste better, in this girl's humble opinion :)

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
Italian Caponata  (sweet and sour)

Will be sure to try this Pamala, sounds yummy!

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
Re: My Favorite Labor Day Recipies
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 08:26:01 AM »
Grilled Tri-Tip Roast Recipe

When rubbed with the tasty blend of seasonings and basted with the tangy sauce in this recipe, a tri-tip roast becomes an extremely flavorful treat that is guaranteed to be among your favorite grilled beef recipes.

Container: grill, medium saucepan, small mixing bowl
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 40 mintues
Serving Description: 4 slices
Servings: 6
Enter desired servings:     

Ingredients
  SAUCE:
-   1/2 cup ketchup
-   2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
-   1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 
-   1 tablespoon molasses
-   1 teaspoon soy sauce
-   1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-   1 teaspoon garlic - chopped
-   1/4 teaspoon celery salt
-   1/2 teaspoon liquid hickory smoke

RUB:
-   1 teaspoon kosher salt
-   1/2 teaspoon celery salt
-   1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
-   1/2 teaspoon fresh garlic - chopped

-   2 pounds tri-tip beef roast
-   3 tablespoons olive oil

Directions
SAUCE:
In a medium saucepan, combine all of the sauce ingredients with 2 tablespoons of water.
Bring to a simmer over medium heat.
Cook for one minute and then set aside.
Save half of the sauce for dipping and use half for brushing onto the meat.
RUB:
Mix all ingredients together in a small mixing bowl.
ROAST:
Allow the roast to sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before grilling.
Coat the meat with olive oil.
Season with the rub mixture.
Grill over direct medium heat for approximately 5 minutes on each side until well marked with grill marks.
Move the roast to indirect medium heat, cook to desired doneness; 20-30 minutes more for medium rare.
Brush the roast with sauce every five minutes or so as it is grilling.
Remove from grill and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
Cut meat across the grain into thin slices.
Serve with the remaining sauce. 

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 08:27:44 AM »

BROCCOLI AND CAULIFLOWER CASSEROLE
Ingredients:
2 cups water
 1/2 teaspoon salt
 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of fresh broccoli and cauliflower pieces (frozen is okay)
 1 1/2 cup milk
 4 to 5 tablespoons butter
 4 tablespoons flour
1 cup vegetable stock
salt and pepper to taste
 dash nutmeg
 2 tablespoons fine dry bread crumbs
1 to 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1/8 teaspoon paprika

Directions:
In a large saucepan, bring water and salt to a boil. Add broccoli and cauliflower; cook just until crisp-tender.  Add milk to the vegetable stock.  Turn vegetables into a shallow 2-quart baking dish.  Melt 3 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over medium heat.  Blend in the flour, stirring until smooth and bubbly.  Gradually stir in milk mixture.  Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth.  Season with the salt, pepper, and nutmeg.  Pour sauce over broccoli and cauliflower.  Dot with remaining 1 to 2 tablespoons of butter.  Combine bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and paprika; sprinkle over vegetables. Bake at 450E for about 20 minutes, until casserole is bubbly.

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 08:28:50 AM »
Labor Day Fried Chicken Special

Ingredients:
1 chicken size 12 cut into 4 or 4 chicken
 2 tablespoons olive oil
 2 eggs
juice of one lemon
flour
olive oil
freshly ground pepper salt

Directions:
Put the chicken pieces in an earthenware or glass container in which they fit completely. Put the lemon juice, oil, salt and pepper into a shallow dish and beat with a fork until well amalgamated; then pour it over the chicken. Turn the chicken pieces once or twice to make sure that they are well coated on all sides, cover the dish, and allow to stand for at least one hour. Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade and pat dry with a paper towel. Break the eggs into a soup plate, season with salt and pepper, and beat lightly with a fork. Coat the chicken pieces with flour, dip into the egg, and fry in hot oil. When the chicken is golden brown on all sides remove it from the oil and put it on a rack to drain in a moderately hot oven leaving the oven door open, until you are ready to serve.

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2009, 03:51:42 PM »
Labor Day Avocado Chicken Salad
Ingredients:
4 Soft wheat flour tortillas
1/2 lb. smoked Chicken
1 1/2 tbsp. cocktail or chile sauce
1 sectioned, pink grapefruit peeled
1 skinned Avocado seeded and diced
1/8 cup toasted Pecans chopped
1 packaged salad mix

Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.  Spray both sides of tortillas with vegetable spray, then press each into large muffin tins or custard cups.  Bake for 10 minutes or until golden.  Remove from heat and cool. In a medium bowl, combine chicken, dressing and cocktail sauce. Cover and chill for 20 minutes. Stir in grapefruit, avocado and pecans. To serve, arrange greens in tortilla cups and spoon salad on top.

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2009, 03:55:21 PM »
LABOR DAY CRAB BALLS
Ingredients:
2lbs crab meat
2 cups bread crumbs
handful of minced onion
juice of one lemon
some parsley
some dill
1/4 cup white wine
1/2 lbs  thinly slice bacon

Directions:
Pick over crabmeat and remove any shell or cartilage.  In medium bowl, combine crabmeat, bread crumbs, lemon juice, minced onion, and enough wine to moisten the mixture.  Mix thoroughly and shape into walnut-size balls.  Cut bacon slices in half crosswise and wrap each crabmeat ball in a half slice of bacon, covering crab mixture completely.  Secure bacon to crab balls with toothpicks.  Broil on a rack in middle of oven about 15 minutes, turning frequently, or until bacon is crispy on all sides.  Makes about 40 appetizer crab balls.

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
Labor Day Apple Pie
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2009, 05:58:46 PM »
LABOR DAY APPLE PIE

Ingredients:
6 small or four large cooking apples (Granny Smith recommended)
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup cold butter
cold water
1/2 cup sugar (amount of sugar is determined by how sweet the apples are)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
one egg
pie pan
small fruit knife, peeling tool, rolling pin, Pastry brush,

APPLE FILLING
Wash and peel the apples, then core and chop them using a small knife. Place the apple slices in a pan and sprinkle with sugar, 2tbps of water and 3/4 tsp of cinnamon. Cook slowly till soft, place in a container and refrigerate.

PIE DOUGH

Ingredients:
all purpose flour and  butter Add a pinch of salt and sugar.

Directions:
Using your hands rub the ingredients together until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.  Make a hollow circle in the powdered mix and add to this approx. 2 tbsp of water.  Now gently mix the water into the powdered mix until a paste is formed.  Note: Depending on the flour quality you may need to add a little more water or a bit more flour to reach the desired dough consistency.  Knead the dough until the consistency is smooth and neither too hard nor too soft. Roll it into a ball, wrap it in film and let it rest in the refrigerator for about an hour.  Storage: The dough could be prepared the day before and can be kept in the refrigerator for about 3 days.  (Mixer: You could  place everything into a food processor and mix it up that way also.)

Directions to put the pie together:
Get your favorite 9 inch pie pan or pie dish.  Roll it out to a  1/5 inch thickness and until it is large enough to cover the pie dish with a little extra to spare.  Make sure you have dusted the working surface with some flour to prevent the dough from sticking.  Lift the dough gently and flop it over the pie pan and set into place.  Ease the dough all around the pie dish and into the dip.  Now you can add the filling or alternately freeze the pie shell for later use.  Spread the filling evenly into the pie shell.  Add a final sprinkling of sugar onto the apple filling. This really depends on how sweet the apple filling is or how sweet your tooth.  Using water or egg wash, wet the dough on the edge of the pie shell.  Roll out the remainder of the dough and gently flop it over to cover the top of the filled pie dish.  Using your thumb and fingers press the two pieces of dough firmly together.  Using a small sharp knife trim the dough by cutting against the edge of the pie pan in a downward motion.  Clean the edge using your thumb and fingers again. Make an egg wash using one egg and a pinch of salt.  Brush it over the top of the pie.  With a small sharp knife stab in a few small cuts in the middle of the pie top.  sprinkle some sugar over the pie.  Bake in a pre-heated oven of 430 for ten minutes then bake at 375 twenty minutes or until golden brown  Leave to cool or serve hot... fresh from the oven.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 02:52:34 PM »
Hello Ms Sue Landow,
It has been quite a while since this was posted and I sincerely hope you are still on this forum....??  Just to tell, in Sweden we are now beginning to harvest our apples - many many apples and I thought to tell, that I shall be trying your apple-pie recipe tomorrow  :)

I do though have a request:  since we have much available (most gardens where I reside have apple trees) would you wonderful people, please send to me your favourite apple recipes.  They do not have to be pie (but are very welcome), however, any recipes that would feature apples as a main ingredient.

I have pickled, juiced, pie'd, curried, sauced....and the list goes on... and on... and....   I just hate to see so much beautiful fruit go to waste.   I have a lovely root cellar and my stock is taken care of.

I really do look forward to hearing from someone...., and please, before the season is over ;)
Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]