[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: A Reforming Catholic Confession ... ???  (Read 178 times)

Puritan Heart

A Reforming Catholic Confession ... ???
« on: September 14, 2017, 03:11:54 AM »
Greetings all,

I would be interested to read any comments on the following link.

http://reformingcatholicconfession.com/

Personally, I have many alarm bells that ring *BEWARE* ... this is a sham to the uninitiated.  From the very outset, there is no clear definition of the word *catholic* and the  obvious association and identity to the institution commonly known as the RC church.  I feel that the use of this word *catholic* can be highly deceptive although this is only one very simple example.

http://reformingcatholicconfession.com/

Very soon after reading through this confession I found this following link by a founder of this confession.  It is both startling and staggering and which clarifies and confirms immediately the danger of this so called *confession* for *Protestants* ....

I look forward to any serious observations or criticisms.

Colossians 2:8King James Version (KJV)

Colossians 2 v 8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

Thanking you in advance for your considerations,

Alexandra
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: A Reforming Catholic Confession ... ???
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 06:09:59 PM »
There may be guns in Heaven?  :Say_what:

Another example of the political Christian with his head still on earthly things.

Tra Millwood

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 09:45:50 PM »
 :iagree: A very strange thing to say.

What would there be guns in heaven for? The Apostasy is REAL.

His thinking is wrong, and therefore what he authors about Christianity is probably wrong.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2017, 01:01:05 AM »
:iagree: A very strange thing to say.

What would there be guns in heaven for? The Apostasy is REAL.

Maybe to protect Christians in heaven from the Mexicans, Muslims and the Black Lives Matter people. or maybe to hunt Lions, Tigers and Bears. Oh My!  ;)

Seriously though, this guy seems to be attempting to find a justification for a doctrine that is clearly unbiblical. He's more Catholic than Protestant talking confusingly about sanctification, which he obviously knows nothing about in the Biblical model. Imperfectly sanctified? What is he even talking about?

His thinking is wrong, and therefore what he authors about Christianity is probably wrong.

Probably? Definitely wrong. His doctrine is not biblical and so should not be considered. An imperfect sanctification of the saints is heretical.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2017, 04:35:10 AM »
Is this the same Jerry L Walls who wrote the book "Why I am not a Calvinist?" If it is, then he lacks credibility and I have absolutely no respect for his handling of theology or his ability to correctly understand scripture. While I also am not a Calvinist, I am not one for sound Biblical reasons, not for the unbiblical ones that he gives (doctrines) that make a mockery out of God's sovereignty and favor.

From reading his book I am thoroughly convinced that beside from his not understanding God's complete sovereignty, nor the Reformed Theology which he speaks so erroneously about, he mischaracterizes our teachings, makes poor assumptions and doesn't grasp what the doctrines of grace truly are. So if this is the same Jerry L. Walls who wrote that book, for my time he is not worth the effort to read his terrible conclusions because they are based on false assumptions. And after watching and listening to this video, it's the same mischaracterizations leading to false conclusions.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2017, 05:32:54 AM »
Hello again

and thank you for your replies.

Reformer, it is indeed the same man who wrote the book to which you refer.

My alarm is in reading to what extent this *confession* has been signed by so called Reformed *dignatories* not only within the USA but equally in Europe, and beyond ... Australia, Asia, etc

My simple conclusion;  The Counter Reformation marches on, only with ever more subtlety than before.  The *modern inquisition* has penetrated Protestant soul ....

The days are dark indeed ...

Alexandra

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2017, 07:24:11 AM »

I have never believed that the Reformed schools and churches would be immune to the apostasy, so I am not at all surprised by such events. I read the list of those who signed on to this, and the only one that I was truly surprised to see there was "Dr. Michael Horton." That one truly shocked me.

It just goes to show.
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

Puritan Heart

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2017, 07:44:14 AM »

I have never believed that the Reformed schools and churches would be immune to the apostasy, so I am not at all surprised by such events. I read the list of those who signed on to this, and the only one that I was truly surprised to see there was "Dr. Michael Horton." That one truly shocked me.

It just goes to show.

Shocking indeed Pilgrim !!

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 12:54:36 AM »

Alexandra, I think the author of this is Dr. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, not Jerry Walls.  But this is just what the church today needs, another confession and less reliance on the bible. How about addressing the weightier or more important matters of the church, like its growing apostasy? Instead, it's let's have a conference on another reformed confession. ::)

Matt. 23:23-24
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel".

Susan

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 02:27:21 AM »
From what I read about this, they are really just trying to get all biblical Christians to stop arguing over the little things and agree on the bigger picture. It really is not about Roman Catholicism, but Protestants getting back to their roots. You really should read up on this before making judgments. Google it.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 12:51:16 PM »

Alexandra, I think the author of this is Dr. Kevin J. Vanhoozer, not Jerry Walls.  .

Hi Reformed Baptist,

The following is from their website; Drafting Committee

Dr. Jerry L. Walls, Scholar in Residence and Professor of Philosophy, Houston Baptist University (Co-Chair)
Dr. Kevin Vanhoozer, Research Professor of Systematic Theology, Trinity Evangelical Divinity School (Co-Chair)

and there are several others also involved. http://reformingcatholicconfession.com/committees/

How about addressing the weightier or more important matters of the church, like its growing apostasy? Instead, it's let's have a conference on another reformed confession. ::)

Matt. 23:23-24
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone. Ye blind guides, which strain at a gnat, and swallow a camel".

I tell you honestly, that I am left aghast ... knowing there will be those who will quote scripture, telling that these things will happen, but Oh, my heart weeps ... I truely Fear for these people and those who so gullibly buy into these herecies .........

Alexandra

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]