[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Hyper-Calvinism  (Read 105 times)

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Hyper-Calvinism
« on: April 20, 2017, 08:00:38 AM »
Is Hyper-Calvinism a form of fatalism?

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Hyper-Calvinism
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2017, 12:35:55 AM »

Anyone have any opinion on this?

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2017, 01:30:03 AM »
Zerocool,
I think Hyper Calvinism (in effect) teaches that God is the actual author of sin because he ultimately controls all aspects of one's life where man is just a puppet in God's hand,or chess pieces on a board to be moved around by God. I think that really makes man responsible for nothing because ultimately God is pulling all the strings. It takes predestination to absurd and unbiblical heights by intellectualizing and over thinking the issue.

"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God: for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man: James 1:13"

I do believe that Hyper-Calvinists conclude that not only does God predestinate and move us to salvation, but also predestinate and moves the wicked to be damned so that God can glory in that. This is a half truth, which means it's a lie. It contradicts God's word I just quoted in James that not only can God Himself not be tempted to sin, he tempts or moves no man to sin. Not for His purposes or anyone else's. From what I read of hypercalvinism, it's wrong. In my opinion Hyper Calvinism is a form of fatalism in that it basically teaches that whether to sin or to righteousness, God is responsible for both in double Predestinating and pre-authoring our actions. But God only says he pre-authors our move to obedience that we would be saved, not to disobedience or sin that we would be damned.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2017, 08:18:05 AM »
I do believe that Hyper-Calvinists conclude that not only does God predestinate and move us to salvation, but also predestinate and moves the wicked to be damned so that God can glory in that.

But that's what all you calvinists believe. It's called double predestination. So isn't there a contradiction there in your theology? On the one hand you say god moves no one to sin, and on the other you say god predestinates the wicked to damnation. You can't have it both ways.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2017, 09:46:03 AM »
But that's what all you calvinists believe. It's called double predestination.

I'm not a Calvinist, nor do I believe in double predestination. I'm reformed, and I believe in God's sovereignty. If you don't know the difference, I can't help you. Maybe this Jamieson, Fausset, Brown commentary will enlighten you.

Romans 9:21
      21. Hath not the potter power over the clay; of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another to dishonour?--"The objection is founded on ignorance or misapprehension of the relation between God and His sinful creatures; supposing that He is under obligation to extend His grace to all, whereas He is under obligation to none. All are sinners, and have forfeited every claim to His mercy; it is therefore perfectly competent to God to spare one and not another, to make one vessel to honor and another to dishonor. But it is to be borne in mind that Paul does not here speak of God's right over His creatures as creatures, but as sinful creatures: as he himself clearly intimates in the next verses. It is the cavil of a sinful creature against his Creator that he is answering, and he does so by showing that God is under no obligation to give His grace to any, but is as sovereign as in fashioning the clay" [HODGE]. But, Second: "There is nothing unjust in such sovereignty."

john

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2017, 04:30:22 PM »
There is Biblical Soteriology, which is the true understanding of God's salvation program and then there are perversions of it.

The Arminian perversion exchanges the sovereignty of God and transfers His power to fallen man.

The hyper-Calvinist perversion removes the responsibility of man in salvation and transfers all responsibility to God.

Arminianism makes man god and God a powerless but concerned by-stander.

Hyper-Calvinism makes man a puppet and God the author of sin.

Arminianism holds that everyone is commanded to repent and believe, therefore (using human logic and ignoring Scripture) all men must be able to repent and believe, on their own. Therefore, the decision to believe or not resides within each person, God is helpless and cannot interfere with human sovereignty (called "free will", meaning free of God acting upon men). In the Arminian world, God must love everyone, Christ died for everyone, redeemed everyone, was the propitiation for everyone, removed the sins of everyone, made everyone "qualified" to enter heaven -- if they will accept the work done by God, else that one sin (apparently unpaid by Christ in some manner) puts them into hell. Thus, it is only the sin of rejecting (the Holy Spirit) that sends anyone to hell, or so they believe.

Thus, Arminianism is a schizophrenic soteriology, the Arminian claims Christ took away the sins of everyone, then claims some will be in hell for sins not removed. They have Christ's atonement accomplishing nothing and the work of reprobate men in "accepting" Christ of their own free will, accomplishing everything via the power of man to activate the atonement. Thus, Arminianism is more than just confusion, more than just a lie, more than just not knowing what the true gospel is, it is blasphemy and a damnable heresy.

Hyper-Calvinism holds that all men cannot repent and believe apart from God, therefore (using human logic and ignoring Scripture) all men being unable are not required by God to repent and believe, God saves without evangelism. Using human logic, it would be unreasonable to ask people to accomplish a task (repent and believe) which God says they are patently unable to perform. The hyper-Calvinism fears stepping on God's sovereignty by demanding the unelected do something that God has no intention of doing (saving them). But, if God is truly sovereign (and He is), then there is nothing the preacher or evangelist can say or do that could upset or thwart God's redemptive plan anyway.

Arminianism fails because it rejects the Scripture truth that man is unable to repent and believe, that man is spiritually dead in sins. Man is a spiritual corpse, and cadavers do not repent and believe, they only rot. There is no free-will, man is not sovereign but rather enslaved to sin and in rebellion to the will of God. God is the only sovereign, He chooses and saves those He wills and those He does not save were not chosen to salvation and will not be saved. Because Arminianism rejects God as sovereign over His creation they find God's intention to NOT save everyone abhorrent and unloving. They fail to recognize that God is not required to save anyone, if God saved just one person from the penalty of their sins it would be perfect and just. Yet, He saves untold millions - and the rest remain in their sin to curse and mock Him.

Hyper-Calvinism fails because it assumes that God is unable to do two things: Regenerate (make spiritually alive) and bring the elect together to hear the evangelist's salvation message. The Hyper-Calvinist is making assumptions as if they knew the mind of God, which they do not. True enough, man does not have the ability to believe due to his spiritual depravity, but still God demands everyone to repent and to believe. It is a matter of reality, we are beings created in God's image, and such we are all called to believe what is true. God is not wrong to demand His creation see the right and do it. That they don't is judgement against them.

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

yaboo

• I'm a Lamma
« Reply #6 on: Yesterday at 06:56:53 AM »
Only Melanie actually answered the question, which if you all forgot was, "is Hyper-Calvinism a form of fatalism?"   I would say, Yes, it is.Because it leaves people with the impression that they can't do anything to change anything in their lives.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: Today at 02:10:09 AM »
Hyper-Calvinism fails because it assumes that God is unable to do two things: Regenerate (make spiritually alive) and bring the elect together to hear the evangelist's salvation message. The Hyper-Calvinist is making assumptions as if they knew the mind of God, which they do not. True enough, man does not have the ability to believe due to his spiritual depravity, but still God demands everyone to repent and to believe.

Thank you all for your comments, I really do appreciate them. John, so in your opinion does all that mean that Hyper-Calvinism actually is a form of fatalism, or simply the doctrine that everything that happens is predetermined?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]