[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Celebrate Easter?  (Read 17425 times)

George

• I'm a llama!
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Easter?
« Reply #30 on: April 20, 2003, 05:49:14 AM »
Pearson, for once we agree. happy Easter!

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2011, 06:38:41 AM »
I celebrate Easter and I do so in good conscience. I don't know why there is this rush to judge other Christians for observing days for Christ sake just because they choose not to. If we want to take one day out of many to  have a special memorial of Christ's resurrection, then why should anyone find fault with that. Christ rose from the dead after taking upon His shoulders the responsibility of our sins, that we might receive the hope of life everlasting. Death is our final enemy, but it's not the last word. God has the last word, and it's the resurrection. That's why I celebrate Easter with great joy, even if others find the need to judge.

So have a happy early Easter everyone!

Johnny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 09:27:14 AM »
Is it biblical to observe the Easter holiday? People are telling me that it was a pagan holiday and that as such, Christians shouldn't celebrate it. What are your views on this?

This is a very topical topic this week. I think that it was a pagan holiday, and I also have been told that we shouldn't celebrate the day. Frankly, I'm a little torn on the issue. I enjoy Easter but I don't know that it's proper to observe a pagan holiday. I've read this thread and there's not much biblical justification, any other  reasons for celebrating it other than tradition? Or not celebrating it?

James Heckman

« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »

The good Reformed Dr. C. Matthew McMahon calls it the Devil's Holiday. That's all you need to know.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2015, 03:49:38 AM »

The good Reformed Dr. C. Matthew McMahon calls it the Devil's Holiday. That's all you need to know.

Why? Is His word God's?

"And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God." Luke 18:19

Only God is good and only God's word infallible. Quote God's word and I'll listen.

Simon

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2015, 06:26:33 PM »

I never go to any site with popup Nag-Ads that beg for money every page. Either people will give or they won't. Pop-up begging is ridiculous, especially for a Christian site. If no one will support your site, you should close it down! It's so annoying.

Just my two cents!

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #37 on: April 05, 2015, 07:09:29 AM »
>>>
Dr. C. Matthew McMahon calls it the Devil's Holiday
<<<

Why waste time straining at a gnat, when you may swallow a camel? If you look up the definition of Holiday (at least in this country), it is:

"a day set aside by custom or law in which normal activities cease to the intent of allowing individuals to celebrate or commemorate something of cultural or religious significance."

So if this day we choose to celebrate the resurrection of Christ is the Devil's Holiday, then why is the Devil not here rejoicing and celebrating with us that resurrection that we choose to venerate or hold special commemoration for?

Of course the answer is obvious, it is because it's not the Devil's Holiday, but a heart-felt celebration of his Waterloo. The day of his final crushing defeat. How then is it his holiday. What ridiculous notion.

Waterloo (w′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-, w′tər-lo͞o′, wŏt′ər-)
 the place where Napoleon met his final defeat in the Battle of
 Waterloo (June 18, 1815); (Military) a total or crushing
 defeat (esp in meet one's Waterloo); by analogy any decisive
 or crushing defeat; noun - A disastrous overwhelming failure,
 collapse, downfall, fall; ruin.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable. But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive. -1st Corinthians 15:19-22"

Stan Pat

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #38 on: April 05, 2015, 08:14:46 AM »
 :iagree: So long as there is the recognition of this act of resurrection rather than bunny rabbits and Easter eggs. Just as Christmas is not about Santa Claus, but the birth of Christ.  :GoodPopst:

billnjune

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2015, 01:47:48 PM »

I never go to any site with popup Nag-Ads that beg for money every page. Either people will give or they won't. Pop-up begging is ridiculous, especially for a Christian site. If no one will support your site, you should close it down! It's so annoying.

Just my two cents!

Simon,
This comment is totally off topic and has nothing to do with Christians Celebrate Easter and it is very distracting to the subject at hand.

Tony, I suggest that you remove Simon's comment along with my response and keep the two cents. 
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2015, 01:57:49 PM »
Of course the answer is obvious, it is because it's not the Devil's Holiday, but a heart-felt celebration of his Waterloo. The day of his final crushing defeat. How then is it his holiday. What ridiculous notion.

:amen: With Christ's resurrection, we are delivered from the power of the Devil. That's what we celebrate.

"And to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, even Jesus, which delivered us from the wrath to come".  I Thess 1:10

By Christ's resurrection, we have the victory over him. Definitely not His holiday.

billnjune

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2015, 01:58:40 PM »
I personally do not celebrate Easter.  If you dont attend Easter services, then I dont know how to celebrate Easter.  I am quite sure that you do not have Easter bunnies and colored eggs.  Perhaps you just have ham dinner for your family.

My opinion of the church is that it is full of wolves in sheep clothes and on Easter is the day that all the wolves dress up and fill Gods holy temple, but they will do so without me.

Bill
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

NeutralZone

• The 66 books of the Bible are my only authority.
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2015, 09:49:13 PM »
Personally I celebrate both Easter and Christmas, and that some pagan may have used the words long ago doesn't bother me anymore than that a pagan used the word SUN-day. If one is going to use that criteria, they shouldn't even mention the days of the week because their origin is pagan.

Reformer:

Your argument is not compelling.  The days of the week are not used as part of Christian celebration.  Compare that to Easter and Christmas--both taken from the worship of pagan gods--and both paraded as Christian celebrations.  The Bible instructs Christians to separate themselves from false worshippers and to not touch the unclean thing.

2 Corinthians 6:17 ~ International Standard Version
"Therefore, "Get away from them and separate yourselves from them," declares the Lord, "and don't touch anything unclean. Then I will welcome you."

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

NeutralZone

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2015, 09:56:14 PM »
To me (and I think millions of other Biblically minded Christians), Easter is the celebration of of the Lord's resurrection, and Christmas is the celebration of the birth of a Savior. It's not about a mass, and it's not about pagan rituals. We don't do Easter bunnies, and we don't tell lies about some Santa Claus.

A good article on questions like this can be read here.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/faq/histchrist.html
This is by Tony Warren and pretty much sums up my view of this issue.

God Speed.

Reformer:

You choosing to reject portions of Easter celebrations, such as bunnies and easter eggs, hardly changes the fact that Easter is pagan in origin.  Similarly, your choosing to not "tell lies about some Santa Claus" hardly changes the fact that the Christmas tree, the lights, the drinking and feasting, the giving of gifts, etc. were among the rituals performed during the pagan Saturnalia aka the worship of the unconquered son god in ancient Rome. 

NeutralZone
". . . be swift about hearing, slow about speaking, slow about wrath. . . . " (James 1:19-20)

NeutralZone

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2015, 10:01:39 PM »
To me (and I think millions of other Biblically minded Christians), Easter is the celebration of of the Lord's resurrection, and Christmas is the celebration of the birth of a Savior. It's not about a mass, and it's not about pagan rituals. We don't do Easter bunnies, and we don't tell lies about some Santa Claus.

Reformer:

The Bible gave no instructions about celebrating the resurrection of Jesus Christ, anymore than it gave instructions that Christians should celebrate Jesus' birth. 

Far from celebrating Jesus' birth, the Bible instructs Christians to celebrate the exact opposite:  Jesus DEATH.

Jesus himself instructed his apostles, shortly before his sacrificial death, that they should celebrate his death.  And as we all know, death is the opposite of birth.

Luke 22:19
"Also, he [Jesus] took a loaf, gave thanks, broke it, and gave it to them [his apostles], saying: 'This means my body which is to be given in your behalf.  Keep doing this in remembrance of me."

NeutralZone

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]