[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Celebrate Easter?  (Read 17425 times)

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
Re: Should Christians Celebrate Easter?
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2003, 11:54:54 PM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If it's done in a non-pagan or non worldly fashion, then where is the problem?

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2003, 11:45:41 PM »
I don't see what all the fuss is about. If it's done in a non-pagan or non worldly fashion, then where is the problem?

The fuss is about personal points of view of some cultic-like groups who think their point of view is  from God's mouth. Personally, I see room for disagreement here, and without Church disunity.

But apparently some think that if we can't agree on this issue, we must be heathens and not to be associated with. That's what the big fuss is about. As Tony said, self righteous indignation.

How many times must one say if you don't want to observe Easter, then don't, without someone taking offense.

Sportsnut

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2003, 10:10:27 PM »

Why?

Sue Landow

• Gold Member
  • Distributing to the saints & given to Hospitality.
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2003, 07:47:11 AM »
Boy, I didn't think this vote would be this close, but apparently more than a few have a problem with Easter. That surprises me.
"And again he said, Whereunto shall I liken the kingdom of God? It is like leaven, which a woman took and hid in three measures of meal, till the whole was leavened". Luke 13:20-21

Layla

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2003, 08:33:00 AM »
Greetings

I have a question.  Do the christians here that celebrate Easter also celebrate Good Friday?

Peace,
Layla

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2003, 05:58:37 PM »
What value does a poll have?  None in my book.  Although I went ahead and added my vote you'll notice that only 13 have responded.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2003, 08:35:21 PM »
What value does a poll have?  None in my book.  Although I went ahead and added my vote you'll notice that only 13 have responded.

judy

Oh, I think it has value. Not that it shows who is right and who is wrong of course, but in my opinion the value is that it can give a useful  outline of where the people who participate in this forum stand on certain issues, and if accompanied by some message, why they do.

Tony even has taken many polls on his website that allow comments too, and I think for the same reason. Just to get the broad strokes on where people stand who frequent his site, and why.

As far as only 13 responded, perhaps you're right. Maybe if more had responded, we'd get a better idea of what those here really think of  Easter Sunday. I hope they don't think they are above participating in a poll, as if there is something evil about it. I don't mind standing up and being counted for biblical principles myself.

By the way, I vote in elections also. Some people tell me that's a waste of time also.

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2003, 08:36:50 PM »
Greetings

I have a question.  Do the christians here that celebrate Easter also celebrate Good Friday?

Peace,
Layla

Do you find something wrong with that also. You don't think anyone should celebrate the death "or" the resurrection of Christ?

Layla

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2003, 09:24:29 PM »
Greetings Pearson

First let me say you insinuately wrongly that I find something wrong with christians celebrating easter.  I found Tony Warren's response on the other thread interesting.  I will not judge, but will discern what I find correct for myself and my children.  My question regarding Good Friday was because if Jesus Christ died on Friday (from the scriptures the ninth hour) then Saturday would be one day one night, come Sunday (easter) we don't have 3 days and thus those who celebrate Good Friday and Easter are following man's doctrine.  They can call it what they want, but it isn't truth.

Peace,
Layla

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2003, 10:35:00 PM »
The 3 days 3 nights thing is a whole different subject from if we should celebrate Easter, Christmas or Good Friday.

But I agreee with you on one thing. Tony was right, we shouldn't judge another man's servant. Celebrate or not celebrate, to each to himself be true.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2003, 12:21:28 AM »
Pearson,

My comments were too brief and terse.
There's nothing inherently wrong or 'evil' with a poll (although I don't see equating it with an election of government officials).  The point I failed to make in my post is that there is no 'right' or 'wrong' on this issue; it's a matter of personal conviction; a 'heart' matter between a person and the Lord.   I think Tony Warren's response to the matter covers it biblically and fully.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2003, 03:06:21 AM »
Judy, your point is well taken. I only brought up the election because I vote even when I know the outcome is a foregone conclusion. I would still cast my vote just to stand up and be counted.

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2003, 11:12:13 AM »
Layla,

When Christ came under the wrath of God to pay the sin debt for all who would be saved His agony and suffering began in the garden the evening prior to His crucifixion.  "Father, if it is Your will remove this cup from Me; nevertheless not My will but Yours, be done" (Lk. 22:42).  He is already suffering, else why would He ask that the cup be removed?  "And being in agony He prayed more earnestly.  And His sweat became like great drops of blood falling down to the ground" (Lk. 22:44).  You are making the assumption that being in the heart of the earth refers to actually being dead in the tomb for 3 days.  But where in Scripture do we find that coming under the wrath of God meant that Christ had to be dead and buried for 3 days?

If we begin with His suffering Thur. night in the garden and then count to Sunday we have three days.  No great mystery at all.  

Sandy

Layla

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2003, 11:19:12 AM »
Greetings Sandy

Matthew 12:39
But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:  

Mat 12:40   For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Peace,
Layla

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2003, 11:53:41 AM »
Hi Layla,

Can you supply Scripture that proves "three days and three nights in the heart of the earth" means buried in a tomb for that period?  How could being dead and buried, being in silence in the grave be described as a time when God is pouring out His wrath on Him?  There must be more to being "in the heart of the earth"???

Sandy

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]