[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: This Generation Shall Not Pass Until All be Fulfilled  (Read 15261 times)

plowboy1534

• I'm a llama!
Re: This Generation Shall Not Pass Until All be Fulfilled
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2004, 06:28:36 PM »
And what about 1 Thessalonians 13-17?

1 Thessalonians 4:13-17

But I would not have you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning them which are asleep, that ye sorrow not, even as others which have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so them also which sleep in Jesus will God bring with him. For this we say unto you by the word of the Lord, that we which are alive and remain unto the coming of the Lord shall not prevent them which are asleep. For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.

How does the preterist interpret that?

tornpage
Proverbs 30:5-6

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2004, 07:05:28 PM »
The bible nowhere says that a generation is 40 years. That is your private interpretation of the bible

My private intepretation agrees with scripture. Do the math.

17 So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

Well now I see why your timing is all off on the covenants, and on 70 AD.  Let me make it elementary for you. If each generation is 40 years as you claim,

Do the match? OK, if you insist!

14 Generations
X3
-------

X40 years each
------
1680 years from Christ to Abraham

That's absurd! It's been at least 2000 years by everyone's account, and probably a lot more. That is to say, everyone who knows anything about the bible, history, or both. Nothing that you have said has proven to be accurate or true. From the leveling of Jerusalem to the ground, to the claim that the bible says 40 years is a generation. So why is that? Your doctrine is unsound, so there's not really much I can add to it. You've given no scripture to prove anything, including these verses you claim prove a generation is 40 years.

So what do you believe scripture teaches concerning the length of a generation? Nothing?

The scriptures teach that the length of a generation can be any number of years. You'd know that if you only read the bible and let it interpret itself instead of trying to push Preterism. The children of Israel were prophecied to be in Egypt 4 generations. And theyy were. Are you telling us they were there 160 years when God plainly said they were there 430 years? You see the people here can count. Does that sound like 40 years a generation to you?

Lets use scripture to tell us.

Heb 8:13By calling this covenant "new," he has made the first one obsolete; and what is obsolete and aging will soon disappear.

What a convenient translation.

Heb 8:13 In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.

The apostle Paul in the preceding verses proved the insufficiency of the old covenant, and the necessity of the new, and here he informs us of the abrogation of the old covenant, and with the preaching of the new making converts, it's is ready to vanish away from sight. Not that it was still valid until 70 AD (which is your doctrine), but that the remnant are still being converted.Just as Peter after Pentecost still held that Gentiles were not permitted in, he had to be convinced that the old was gone, and the new had come. In that sense only it was vanishing.

No view of preterism believes the resurrection had already occured at the writing of this letter.

But the resurrection and the second coming of Christ are simultaneous. Not a moot point!

Why don't you try addressing some of the contradictions put to you that couldn't have possibly occurred in 70 AD instead of dancing around them?

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2004, 07:21:04 PM »
Elect Lady:

What you fail to see is that the destruction of Jerusalem is not in view in these verses.

Which verse speaks about the destruction of Jerusalem?  And even IF (hyopthetically speaking) Jerusalem were in view, nothing about it has anything to do with the fulfillments spoken of in Luke and Matt. concerning the end of the world. 

Hi Kohathe,

Perhaps, the Scriptures can answer your questions...

Luke 21:20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the DESOLATION thereof is nigh.

21 Then let them which are in JUDAEA flee to the mountains: and let them which are in the midst of it depart out: and let them that are in the countries enter therein.

Compare...

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall see "the abomination of desolation," spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place, (whoso readeth, let him understand:!

16 Then let them which be in JUDAEA flee into the mountains.

And...

Mark 13:14 But when ye shall see the "abomination of desolation," spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in JUDAEA flee to the mountains.

Are you not aware these are all describing the same event, "the desolation/destruction of Jerusalem"?

If in doubt, notice the flee to JUDAEA in all three!

Elect Lady,

Our Lord Jesus Christ,  is the blessed and only Potente, the King of Kings, and Lord of lords...

Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom "no man" HATH SEEN, NOR CAN SEE:
to whom be honour and power everlasting. A'men. 1 Timothy 6:16

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2004, 07:24:43 PM »
>>>Luke 21:32 Verily I say unto you, "This Generation" shall not pass away, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.

Till all "what" be fulfilled?  All things written (Lu.21:5-36)!<<<

You are claiming the generation has passed?  You are claiming all things described in Luke 21:5-36 have been fulfilled?

Luke 21:9
9   But when ye shall hear of wars and commotions, be not terrified: for these things must first come to pass; but the end is not by and by.

So where is the end?  Has the end come and gone already?

Luke 21:25-26
25   And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the sea and the waves roaring;
26   Men's hearts failing them for fear, and for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the powers of heaven shall be shaken.

What were the signs in the sun, and in the moon?  When were the powers of heaven shaken?

Luke 21:27
27   And then shall they see the Son of man coming in a cloud with power and great glory.

Are you saying Christ has come back already?

Bradley

Hi Bradley,

Yes, if the Word of God is true and I believe it is!

Elect Lady,
Our Lord Jesus Christ,  is the blessed and only Potente, the King of Kings, and Lord of lords...

Who only hath immortality, dwelling in the light which no man can approach unto; whom "no man" HATH SEEN, NOR CAN SEE:

kohathe

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2004, 07:22:20 AM »
Hi, Elect Lady:

Jerusalem at the time of its destruction in 70 AD was no longer the "holy place" (after the cross) spoken of in Matthew and Daniel, therefore this would rule out literal Jerusalem.  The only holy place that God could be talking about is the local congergations, and more so in the last days just before his second coming.  You shouldn't take one or two verses and based on that come up with a conclusion or doctrine.  Based on your conclusion, it does not harmonize with everything else in the Bible.  God did not write those verses in Luke and Matthew plainly for anyone to understand.  On the surface, yes, they sound like what had occured in 70 AD when Jerusalem was destroyed, but God spoke in parables and he conceals things in his Word such that only his children whose spirits will help them discern the truth of his word.  Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the honor of kings to search out a matter."  So truth comes with searching and searching the whole Bible for harmony.     

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2004, 12:24:43 PM »
Hi, Elect Lady:

Jerusalem at the time of its destruction in 70 AD was no longer the "holy place" (after the cross) spoken of in Matthew and Daniel, therefore this would rule out literal Jerusalem.  The only holy place that God could be talking about is the local congergations, and more so in the last days just before his second coming.  You shouldn't take one or two verses and based on that come up with a conclusion or doctrine.  Based on your conclusion, it does not harmonize with everything else in the Bible.  God did not write those verses in Luke and Matthew plainly for anyone to understand.  On the surface, yes, they sound like what had occured in 70 AD when Jerusalem was destroyed, but God spoke in parables and he conceals things in his Word such that only his children whose spirits will help them discern the truth of his word.  Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing, but the honor of kings to search out a matter."  So truth comes with searching and searching the whole Bible for harmony.     

Hi Kohathe,

Let us be clear, Jerusalem was the holy place until the destruction of Jerusalem AD 70, and Jesus was not speaking in parables, nor was he concealing the facts from the disciples!

Matthew 24:15 When ye therefore shall SEE the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the HOLY PLACE, (whoso readeth, let him understand:)

16 Let them which be in JUDAEA flee to the mountains.

Luke 21:20 And when ye shall SEE Jerusalem" compassed with armies, then KNOW that the desolation thereof is nigh,

21 Then let them which are in JUDAEA flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst depart out; and let not them that in the countries enter thereinto.

Jesus said Jerusalem was the "holy place" at the time of the desolations (not local congregations), besides there is "no longer" a JUDAEA to flee from,  it was destroyed AD 70.

Kohathe,  why do you think Jesus told the disciples to flee JUDAEA?

Elect Lady,

kohathe

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2004, 02:00:26 PM »
Elect Lady:

The church would be the holy place, therefore Judea would have to be the church, and the true believers will flee from the churches as they see the abomination of desolation in them when God has opened there eyes and find shelter in the mountains, that is Jesus. 

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2004, 02:16:37 PM »
Elect Lady:

The church would be the holy place, therefore Judea would have to be the church, and the true believers will flee from the churches as they see the abomination of desolation in them when God has opened there eyes and find shelter in the mountains, that is Jesus. 

Lu 21:20-21
 "And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
 21 Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter thereinto."

How is it that you understand Judea is the Church, synonymous with Jerusalem, and yet you don't understand that the living waters going forth from Jerusalem, would thus be Christ in the Church?

Jeremiah 2:12-14
 "Be astonished, O ye heavens, at this, and be horribly afraid, be ye very desolate, saith the LORD.
 13 For my people have committed two evils; they have forsaken me the fountain of living waters, and hewed them out cisterns, broken cisterns, that can hold no water.
 14 Is Israel a servant? is he a homeborn slave? why is he spoiled?"

Jeremiah 17:13
 "O LORD, the hope of Israel, all that forsake thee shall be ashamed, and they that depart from me shall be written in the earth, because they have forsaken the LORD, the fountain of living waters."

John 4:13-14
 "Jesus answered and said unto her, Whosoever drinketh of this water shall thirst again:
 14 But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life."

This is the day that living waters went out from Jerusalem, half of them toward the former sea, and half of them toward the hinder sea, in summer and in winter. SEE THE SCRIPTURES OF THE BATTLE OF JERUSALEM.

kohathe

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2004, 02:44:08 PM »
Reformer:

The living water is Christ or the gospel that comes out of Jerusalem or the church when the true believers come out of the churches. That's what I wrote in the other thread.  please check the other thread. 

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2004, 08:59:20 AM »
Kohathe,

I do not understead the logic behind your reasoning, and you have not given scriptural support, therefore I surmise you are posting what you have been taught (doctrine of men) rather than believe what the Scriptures teach.

If I am wrong I apologize, and ask what can convince you apart from the Word of God?

Elect Lady,

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2004, 01:29:18 PM »
Hi All,

I submit unto you the WORD of God, and ask you to evaluate it for yourself, and decide if you will believe the word of men or the Word of God...

LUKE 21

5 AND as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,

6 As for "these things" which ye behold, THE DAYS COME, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down,

7 And THEY asked him, saying Master, but when shall "these things" be? And what sign will there be when "these things" shall COME TO PASS?

8 And He said, Take heed that ye be not "deceived"" for many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ; and THE TIME DRAWETH NEAR : go ye not therefore after them.

Events that would be occuring (9-19)...

20 And when YE shall SEE Jerusalem compassed with armies, then KNOW that the desolation thereof is NIGH.

21 Then let them which are in JUDEA flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter therein.

22 For these be the DAYS OF VENGEANCE, that ALL THINGS WHICH ARE WRITTEN MAY BE FULFILLED.

Coming of the Son of man (25-27)...

28 And when "these things" began to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads for your redemption draweth NIGH.

Parable of the fig tree (29-31)...

32 Verily I say unto "you" THIS GENERATION "shall not" pass away, TILL ALL BE FULFILLED.

Jesus told the disciples the truth, if ...ALL THINGS WRITTEN, WERE FULFILLED, in "the days of vengeance" (Lu.21:22), and THEIR GENERATION did not pass away TILL ALL WAS FULFILLED (Lu.21:32).

Jesus "did not" tell the disciples the truth, if ALL THINGS WRITTEN was not FULFILLED in THEIR GENERATION!

Did Jesus tell the disciples, the truth ?   Yes or No?

Elect Lady,

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2004, 03:35:45 PM »
Question #1) More clearly worded in Matthew 24:3b "Tell us, when shall these things be?": 
LUKE 21
5 AND as some spake of the temple, how it was adorned with goodly stones and gifts, he said,

6 As for these things which ye behold, the days come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down, 7 And they asked him, saying Master, but when shall these things be?

Fulfillment at Calvary:
John 2:19 "Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.  Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?  But he spake of the temple of his body."

Mark 14:58 "We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands."

Matthew 23:33, 27 "And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him...And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him... Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom"

Question #2)  More clearly worded in Matthew 24:3c "and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?": 
7b And what sign will there be when these things shall COME TO PASS? 8 And He said, Take heed that ye be not deceived for many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near : go ye not therefore after them. 20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter therein. 22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 28 And when these things began to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads for your redemption draweth nigh. 32 Verily I say unto you this generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Yet to be fulfilled prophecy - to be fullfilled at the end on the last day of human mortal history, when Jesus returns physically, visibly, and audibly; Just as Scripture Describes:

Mark 16:15 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."
Matthew 24:14 "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2004, 05:03:41 PM »
Question #1) More clearly worded in Matthew 24:3b "Tell us, when shall these things be?": 
LUKE 21

6 As for these things which ye behold, the days come, in the which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down, 7 And they asked him, saying Master, but when shall these things be?

Fulfillment at Calvary:
John 2:19 "Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.  Then said the Jews, Forty and six years was this temple in building, and wilt thou rear it up in three days?  But he spake of the temple of his body."

Mark 14:58 "We heard him say, I will destroy this temple that is made with hands, and within three days I will build another made without hands."

Matthew 23:33, 27 "And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him...And saying, Thou that destroyest the temple, and buildest it in three days, save thyself. If thou be the Son of God, come down from the cross. Likewise also the chief priests mocking him, with the scribes and elders, said, He saved others; himself he cannot save. If he be the King of Israel, let him now come down from the cross, and we will believe him... Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost. And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom"

Question #2)  More clearly worded in Matthew 24:3c "and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?": 
7b And what sign will there be when these things shall COME TO PASS? 8 And He said, Take heed that ye be not deceived for many shall come in my name saying, I am Christ; and the time draweth near : go ye not therefore after them. 20 And when ye shall see Jerusalem compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh. 21 Then let them which are in Judea flee to the mountains; and let them which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in the countries enter therein. 22 For these be the days of vengeance, that all things which are written may be fulfilled. 28 And when these things began to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads for your redemption draweth nigh. 32 Verily I say unto you this generation shall not pass away, till all be fulfilled.

Yet to be fulfilled prophecy - to be fullfilled at the end on the last day of human mortal history, when Jesus returns physically, visibly, and audibly; Just as Scripture Describes:

Mark 16:15 "And he said unto them, Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature."
Matthew 24:14 "And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world for a witness unto all nations; and then shall the end come."

Hi Dave,

I believe anyone reading the text, will  clearly understand Jesus and the disciple was talking about an earthly temple (and gifts), seeing as how it said ... "as some SPAKE OF THE TEMPLE, how IT was ADORNED with goodly STONES and GIFTS, he said, as for THESE THINGS which you behold, the days come, in which there shall not be left one stone upon another, that shall not be thrown down." (Lu. 21:5,6).

Jesus was clearly addressing the TEMPLE (and gifts) which the disciples had just mentioned (Vs. 5)!

The Bible is explicitly clear when Jesus spoke of his body as the temple ... But he spake of the temple of his body (Jo.2:21).

That said "was not" Jesus Crucifixion and Resurrection (of his body/temple within three days) during THE GENERATION of the disciples?

Albeit, you  "wrestle" the Scriptures the truth remain the same, the disciples was THE GENERATION, that SAW "the destruction of the temple" (whether stones and mortar, or the temple/body of the Lord).

THE GENERATION, in which...ALL THINGS WRITTEN WAS FULFILLED/ THE GENERATION which shall not "pass away," TILL ALL BE FULFILLED (Lu. 21:22,32)!

Elect Lady,

Dave Taylor

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2004, 05:44:01 PM »
Again you err, EL, because you try to ignore that two questions were asked and two separate answers given by Jesus; one which was a near-term question and another which was a far-term question.

Preterism appears to have fully closed your eyes, and that is a sad thing.

Again.

Question 1) Matthew 24:3b "Tell us, when shall these things be?" 
'these things' being the destruction of the temple which occured in 33 AD as per the scriptures given and rejected by your embracing of Full Preterism.

Querstion 2) "and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"
'the end' being the future return of Christ as per the scriptures given and also rejected by your embracing of Full Preterism.

You have constantly and consistantly turned a deaf ear to every post that any and everyone has made to you over the last few weeks regarding Full Preterism.

Since you have no intent on abandoning Full Preterism; no matter how many people show you its error from the scriptures;
How much longer to you plan to sow discord on this forum?
Are you proselytizing for Full Preterism?
Are you hoping to draw away converts?

Shall you continue as Paul warned, until the false teachings you continue to promote 'overthrow the faith of some' as Hymenaeus and Philetus did with their teaching of Full Preterism?

Elect Lady

• Daughter of Zion!
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2004, 06:24:46 PM »
Again you err, EL, because you try to ignore that two questions were asked and two separate answers given by Jesus; one which was a near-term question and another which was a far-term question.

Preterism appears to have fully closed your eyes, and that is a sad thing.

Again.

Question 1) Matthew 24:3b "Tell us, when shall these things be?" 
'these things' being the destruction of the temple which occured in 33 AD as per the scriptures given and rejected by your embracing of Full Preterism.

Querstion 2) "and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?"
'the end' being the future return of Christ as per the scriptures given and also rejected by your embracing of Full Preterism.

You have constantly and consistantly turned a deaf ear to every post that any and everyone has made to you over the last few weeks regarding Full Preterism.

Since you have no intent on abandoning Full Preterism; no matter how many people show you its error from the scriptures;
How much longer to you plan to sow discord on this forum?
Are you proselytizing for Full Preterism?
Are you hoping to draw away converts?

Shall you continue as Paul warned, until the false teachings you continue to promote 'overthrow the faith of some' as Hymenaeus and Philetus did with their teaching of Full Preterism?

Hi Dave,

NO! I am not doing ANY of the things which you have accused me!

You and others have directed unwarranted slurs at me to which I continually ignore, obeying the word of God...

Romans 12:17 Recompense to "no man" evil for evil.  Provide things honest in the sight of all men.

18 If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.

19 Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather "give place to wrath": for it is written, Vengeance is mine: I will repay, SAITH THE LORD.

I call heaven and earth to witness between us, and JUDGE who is speaking the Word of God (falsely/erroneosly), from an insincere heart filled with impure motives and reward with us accordingly, in Jesus name!

Elect Lady,

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]