[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Believers Marry Unbelievers?  (Read 35079 times)

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Should Believers Marry Unbelievers?
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2016, 04:52:16 AM »
Tony, it is clear that a believer can marry an unbeliever. The proof is that Joseph married an Egyptian woman,  the daughter of the priest of On. There was obviously a disparity of worship, since one was a unbeliever and the other a believer. Therefore from scripture we know that disparity of worship previous to marriage is not an impediment marriage.

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2016, 07:21:39 AM »
The reason God doesn't want us to marry an unbeliever is that he or she can and often will influence you away from the Lord. We shouldn't be so naive or self-assured as to think that "you" will never fall succumb to an unbeliever you love. It happens all the time. And even if you don't, others will. God puts these rules in place for a reason.
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2016, 07:28:55 AM »

I don't see a contradiction.

There is absolutely no sanction for gay marriage.

There is absolutely no sanction in scripture for a believer marrying a unbeliever either. So whether you see the contradiction or not, it is there. You can't justify one sin and condemn another. That's not what Christians are supposed to do.

"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2016, 09:01:25 AM »

Oh please, how is your belief that God practices racial discrimination consistent with his love? Clearly that passage has nothing to do with not marrying the unbeliever, since I've already gave an example. Just idolatry, not an unbeliever.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #169 on: May 27, 2016, 04:09:48 AM »
>>>
Tony, it is clear that a believer can marry an unbeliever.
<<<

Clear to who? The definition of clear is something transparent, that which is very apparent; obvious; easy to perceive or understand; be be free of any obstructions or objects. How you can presume God's holy people are free to marry unbelievers is a clear allowance of Scripture is mind boggling. If it's anything, it's certainly not clear. From Scripture it is evident, unmistakable, incontrovertible, "clear," that God didn't want His holy people marrying the unholy people around them.  God specifically said that they were not to marry the Gentiles who didn't believe in Him (Deuteronomy 7:3), nor give your daughters to their sons to wed or take their daughters for your sons. That's what clear is, something stated unambiguously. Which is also continued in the New Covenant relationship with Israel, as we are likewise not marry outside of the Lord's covenanted people. Only in the Lord are we to marry.

2nd Corinthians 6:14-15
  • "Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?
  • And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?"

Of course, I'm well aware that many Christians take what is "clear" and claim it's unclear, however thw law forbids a believer and unbeliever from being yoked or tied together. It's for the exact same reason Israel under the Old Covenant dispensation was forbidden, because there is no agreement and it will lead to mixing God's laws and the idolatry of unbelievers.

>>>
The proof is that Joseph married an Egyptian woman,  the daughter of the priest of On. There was obviously a disparity of worship, since one was a unbeliever and the other a believer. Therefore from scripture we know that disparity of worship previous to marriage is not an impediment marriage.
<<<

You're using the unbiblical practice of using one passage "out of context" to contradict another passage. The Bible doesn't contradict itself, therefore we know that your "conclusions" are flawed because you've made certain assumptions. Assumptions used in order to seemingly justify rebellion against God's very clear law--which is always an unsound hermeneutic. First of all, the law of God was "clear" on the matter:

Deuteronomy 7:3-4
  • "Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.
  • For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly."

Not only did God instruct Israel not to intermarry with the unbelievers around them, but He gives the reason why He forbids it. Because they would turn away the hearts of believers to idolatry. Now that's "clear!" Which of course we saw vividly in the episode of King Solomon illustrating God's omniscience in commanding it. Therefore, just because someone does what God commands "NOT" to do, does not give merit to an idea it is acceptable. e.g.:

Nehemiah 13:26-27
  • "Did not Solomon king of Israel sin by these things? yet among many nations was there no king like him, who was beloved of his God, and God made him king over all Israel: nevertheless even him did outlandish women cause to sin.
  • Shall we then hearken unto you to do all this great evil, to transgress against our God in marrying strange wives?"

You claim the proof is that Joseph married an Egyptian woman, however that is no more proof of righteousness than King Solomon Marrying foreign women means he didn't sin. You can't use assumptions to make sound conclusions. Moreover, he was not offered in or out of this marriage, he was given this wife by the  Pharaoh of Egypt. The bottom line is, you can't use an example of someone doing something they shouldn't to nullify God's word that they were not to do this. Obviously!

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #170 on: May 27, 2016, 04:18:01 AM »
>>>
Oh please, how is your belief that God practices racial discrimination consistent with his love?
<<<

That is another "Straw Man!" It is not his belief nor mine that God practices racial discrimination regarding His people, rather that He requires spiritual discrimination. In other words, He wants to keep His people a separate people, a holy people, a special people that are set apart from the people of the world as the family of the Lord God.

James 4:4
  • "Ye adulterers and adulteresses, know ye not that the friendship of the world is enmity with God? whosoever therefore will be a friend of the world is the enemy of God."

Those who attempt to mix the wor;ld with the body of Christ are spiritual adulterers. We are to be a "separate" people, and that is what is so missing in the church today. The understanding that we are to be a separate, holy people of God that will not marry those of the world in orde to keep that body holy. It has nothing to do with racial discrimination, but the discriminating between a covenanted and holy people and an uncovenanted and unholy people. The people of the world vs the people of God.

>>>
Clearly that passage has nothing to do with not marrying the unbeliever, since I've already gave an example. Just idolatry, not an unbeliever.
<<<

That's so "not true," but you've already shown you don't really understand that the word "clearly" means unambiguously or something not obscure. What God is "clearly" dealing here with is not racial discrimination (since Gentiles could become part of Israel and Jews lawfully married Gentiles who became Jews), but non-believing people--those who were not children of the God of Israel and would surely lead His people and their children away from the faith of Israel. Ruth the Moabitess for example. Also, God didn't drive out the people from before Israel because race, or because Israel was righteous, but because of the people who were in the land were unrighteous and idolatrous and sinful. God told Israel that and warned them against making deals with them or allowing them to remain in their land. The real point here is that God again lists the reason why, and it is because God said that in doing so they would make the children of Israel to sin against Him.

Exodus 23:32-33
  • "Thou shalt make no covenant with them, nor with their gods.
  • They shall not dwell in thy land, lest they make thee sin against me: for if thou serve their gods, it will surely be a snare unto thee."

This is the same reason Christians are not to marry those outside the covenant with Israel today. Because these unbelievers would make God's people sin against Him and serve their gods. As the preacher said "ecc. 1:9 - The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun." The precept against a marriage covenant with unbelievers remains as true today as it was back then. If the children of Israel married people outside of His covenant, the children born of this union would inevitably be children who would {because of the non-faith of the married spouse) stray from the path into the idolatry and beliefs of the unbelieving spouse. As this also inevitably happens today with such marriages. So that it's not a precept supporting racial discrimination, but a discrimination between God fearing people and those who practice idolatry and unbelief. A holy discrimination that is not only desirable, but necessary and commanded for all truly love the Lord.

Deuteronomy 7:3-6
  • Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.[/i]
  • For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.
  • But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire.
  • For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth."

In this same way of the nation of Israel, God has chosen us as a holy people unto Him, a special people unto himself above all people that are upon the face of the earth. So what we are talking about here is an objective of God to keep His people holy, and His continuing divine command (and explanation) why we should not intermarry outside of the faith. 

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #171 on: April 27, 2017, 02:11:28 AM »

Deuteronomy 7:3-6
  • Neither shalt thou make marriages with them; thy daughter thou shalt not give unto his son, nor his daughter shalt thou take unto thy son.[/i]
  • For they will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods: so will the anger of the LORD be kindled against you, and destroy thee suddenly.
  • But thus shall ye deal with them; ye shall destroy their altars, and break down their images, and cut down their groves, and burn their graven images with fire.
  • For thou art an holy people unto the LORD thy God: the LORD thy God hath chosen thee to be a special people unto himself, above all people that are upon the face of the earth."

In this same way of the nation of Israel, God has chosen us as a holy people unto Him, a special people unto himself above all people that are upon the face of the earth. So what we are talking about here is an objective of God to keep His people holy, and His continuing divine command (and explanation) why we should not intermarry outside of the faith. 

:GoodPopst: I couldn't agree more. I don't see how anyone could believe that God intends us to marry outside of the faith. That makes no sense. Nice Bible verse showing why. "They will turn away thy son from following me, that they may serve other gods".

By the way, just read your latest tweet.

"I stood not at all until I began standing for something greater than myself."

Loved it!

R. Anspach

• No condemnation for those who are in Christ
« Reply #172 on: April 27, 2017, 06:18:27 AM »

Zerocool or anyone,
Where is his twitter page or @
"But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith." Galatians 3:11

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #173 on: April 27, 2017, 07:35:21 AM »

https://twitter.com/TonyWarren10

He's not really active on Facebook, but if you're interested:

https://www.facebook.com/tony.warren.509994

Tweet @TonyWarren10

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #174 on: April 28, 2017, 06:33:14 PM »
I don't see how anyone could believe that God intends us to marry outside of the faith.

Don't you think God has more pressing problems than who we marry? We're all sinners. It is clear that a believer can marry a unbeliever and as I said before, the proof is that Joseph married an Egyptian woman,  the daughter of the priest of On. There was obviously a disparity of worship, since one was a unbeliever and the other a believer.

aquatic

« Reply #175 on: April 28, 2017, 11:26:10 PM »
A believer can marry an unbeliever, BUT the title of the thread states: SHOULD a believer marry an unbeliever.

No

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2017, 03:54:53 AM »
A believer can marry an unbeliever, BUT the title of the thread states: SHOULD a believer marry an unbeliever.

Completely ignored my example of a believer marrying an unbeliever in the bible. It seems he didn't have that self-righteous attitude of today's believers.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #177 on: May 01, 2017, 01:18:15 PM »
Don't you think God has more pressing problems than who we marry?

No I don't. If God wasn't concerned about who we marry, he wouldn't have put laws in scripture about who we should marry. Don't you think?

We're all sinners.

Yes we're all sinners, but that doesn't mean we sin because we are under grace. Should we be obedient or just say we're all sinners and not obey at all. That's what I think is the issue.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]