[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Evangelize or Preach to Jews  (Read 11154 times)

nicoengelbrecht

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Should Christians Evangelize or Preach to Jews
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2005, 06:15:55 AM »
                                  R E P L A C E M E N T   T H E O L O G Y
                                                    What Does This Mean?                 
      One hears accusations like "Replacementism" or "Replacement Theology" more and more these days. By coining these phrases some, in the fast growing Hebraic/Jewish Roots Movement and/or Christian Zionist Movement, attempt to scurrilously bring discredit to the true Church. They say it is physical, political Israel that is Godís Israel and not the Church - the Holy Nation, the precious Body of Christ. The Church loves all men, as Jesus loves both Jew and Gentile, and IT IS THIS CHURCH THAT IS GODíS ETERNAL ISRAEL AND NOT ISRAEL IN THE FLESH (1). God loves Jews and Gentiles equally. In the New Testament His people are revealed to be believing Jews and Gentiles (2). The accusers say that those who teach the Church is Godís Israel are guilty of replacementism and that they are anti-semitic. This is because Jesus and His Church correctly teach that unbelievers, related to Abraham through the flesh, are not God's people - Godís Israel - and that they can only become Godís people by repenting and believing in Jesus. The true nation of God is a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people (3). It can therefore clearly be seen that it is these very accusers who are anti-semitic and lie against the truth (4). Tragically they are actually misleading unsaved Jews by treating them as Godís special people and, in order to avoid persecution, they teach it is insensitive to openly talk to them about the Lord Jesus and Godís only Way of salvation.
      It must be understood that God's covenant with Abraham is spiritual, being based on Abrahamís God-given faith. It is not based on any relationship that any fallen man might have to Abraham through sinful flesh (5). Four hundred and thirty years after the Abrahamic Covenant God gave Israel the Law (6). He did this to highlight - (7) - their hopelessness, disobedience and sin, hoping they would admit to their need for God to save them (8). God literally fulfilled all His promises to Israel, in the Land of Israel, but because of the weakness of their flesh - (9) - He knew it could not last (10). This temporal fulfilment was a pre-figuring - type - in prophecy, of the Church of Jesus Christ, the eternal King, of the eternal Jews,  of the eternal Israel (11). This is now clearly revealed as eternally fulfilled in Jesus (12). Egypt, like Israel, was also a type, or figure, but of the unbelieving people of this temporal world.
     A true Jew is a Jew or Gentile, by natural birth, who repents and is circumcised in heart  (13). So to be an earthy relative of Abraham has no eternal standing or power whatsoever with God (14). The tempter, in the spirit of this world, falsely eternalises temporal things, e.g. the earthly city of ďJerusalemĒ (15). He thereby entices men to idolise the creature, which is but dust, and to war with carnal weapons for images and shadows - signs - pointing to Jesus. In Truth, shadows are but dust. Those held captive under the law are blinded and remain spiritually enslaved by worshipping, and serving, the created things rather than the Creator (16). Satan, defeated by Jesus Christ crucified, vainly gathers the spiritually blind to pointless, religious/political wars fought over the land of Israel with carnal weapons (17). 
     From the beginning God's eternal people, whether Jew or Gentile by natural birth, are only those born from above by His Spirit (18). They, like Abraham, have faith in God their merciful Saviour Who saves them from eternal damnation. God honours His everlasting covenant with anyone, whether a Jew or a Gentile by birth, who has repented by coming to Jesus in Spirit (19). In reality it is these false accusers who are the "Replacementists" and  not those they accuse! They actually teach that Jewish unbelievers are God's people - (20)  - and so replace the Truth with a lie. These ďReplacementistsĒ, who should know better, replace what should be an all consuming love for Jesus our Saviour with love for a political, physical nation, rather than for the unsaved souls of the individuals in that nation!  Please note that God has no eternal plan for political Israel other than that of new creatures in Christ within that nation! God will never cast away a Gentile or Jew - (21) - who repents before death and calls out to Jesus in spirit (in their heart) to save their souls and heal the infirmities (delusions) of their fleshly thinking (22). But for the mercy of God, in sending our helper the Spirit, all would remain infirm in mind and soul.  All believers are Godís Holy Nation and so all Israel shall be saved (23)!  Amen.                                                                                               

SCRIPTURE  REFERENCES

1.   Gal.6:16.Eph.2:15.3:12.Rom.9:6-8.
2.   Gal.3:28.Rev.2:9.Rom.3:9,29.10:12.
3.   1Pet.29a).Mt.21:43.Rev.1:6.
4.   Jn.8:42.Mt.3:9.Rom.16:17-18.
5.   Jn.8:39.Rom.4:11,16.Gal.3:17.
6.   Gal.3:17.
7.   2Cor.3:7.
8.   Rom.3:20.8:20.Gal.3:19.
9.   Rom.8:3.
10.   Josh.21:45.23:14-16.24:19-20.Deut.30:18.
11.   Mt.2:15.Heb.12:22.
12.   Heb.4:8-10.8:10.
13.   Rom.2:28-29.Phil.3:3.Col.2:11.3:11.
14.   Mt.3:9.Jn.8:39.6:63.Rom.4:13.6:17.1Cor.15:47-50.
15.   Gal.4:25.
16.   Jn.4:24.Rom.1:25.Col.1:16.Heb.1:2.
17.   Jn.19:30.Rev.21:6.Tit.1:10.2Pet.2:20.
18.   Jn.3:3,10.
19.   1Cor.12:13.
20.   Jn.8:24,47.Rom.9:3.11:6,14.
21.   Rom.11:15.
22.   Lk.23:42-43.Rom.10:8-9.Deut.30:14.
23.   Rom.11:26.Eph.2:16.

12 March 2005.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2005, 07:24:29 AM »
I believe that is true. I guess my question now is, if we know Christians should preach to the Jews, should there be any special effort to preach to the Jews? Or should no special effort be made to preach to Jewish people anymore than Gentile people. I ask this because some people believe that there should be a special effort to preach to Jewish people because they were originally God's chosen. Is that correct thinking?

Marty

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 12:14:24 AM »
I believe that is true. I guess my question now is, if we know Christians should preach to the Jews, should there be any special effort to preach to the Jews? Or should no special effort be made to preach to Jewish people anymore than Gentile people.

There is neither Jew or Greek, bond or free. We preach to people, their nationality doesn't make one bit of difference. And we can't preach to the Jews in Israel anyway. We are free to preach the gospel of Christ to Jews in the US or other free countries, but not in Israel. Because it is against the law to do that in Israel. The fact is, Evangelism of Jews in Israel is illegal and unsafe. Don't get me wrong. There are missionary organizations there, but they cannot actually actively bring the gospel of Christ to the Jewish people there. Not without being arrested. Amazing that even after all these years, Israel is still obstinate and will not receive their favorite and most famous son.

John 1:11
  "He came unto his own, and his own received him not."

I know most of you here probably already know this, but when talking to some Christian fundamentalists, they were "all" unaware of this, nor did they know that it would result in persecution or prison. Why don't many people know this? Christians simply don't evangelize there.

Searching "evangelism" I came to this old thread. Which also raises an interesting question. At least to me. Are we supposed to stop preaching because authorities tell us to, or suffer the persecution to spread the name of Christ? My fundamentalist friends say we are not to preach because we must obey authorities. I would say we are not to preach if they reject us, but not because we must obey authorities. Because when I look at the Apostles, it seems they had a different view than that.

Acts 4:18-21
"And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of Jesus. But Peter and John answered and said unto them, Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge ye. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard. So when they had further threatened them, they let them go, finding nothing how they might punish them, because of the people: for all men glorified God for that which was done".

So, while the missionary work (as opposed to evangelism) in Israel (and a few other states) today seems to always comply with the law, this seems very different from the evangelism that the Apostles practiced when preaching Christ, which was also against the law then. But I could be wrong.

Disagree?

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 12:05:02 PM »
Israel is still obstinate and will not receive their favorite and most famous son.

How is national Israel's obstinate disinterest and dislike for Christ different from say Russia, China, Vietnam, Canada, or any other countries hatred of God ... including the United States?

Why would national Israel behave any differently? Yes, they do live amongst ancient ruins and their history includes a long period when God used them for His purposes - but today, spiritually, they are just as any other nation. Their hatred and rejection of Christ is the same spirit found everywhere else in the world.

Which is better - to accept that the Messiah came and reject Him (Gentiles) or to pretend He didn't come and be defiantly waiting for a different Messiah (Jew)?

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

Peng Bao

« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
So, while the missionary work (as opposed to evangelism) in Israel (and a few other states) today seems to always comply with the law, this seems very different from the evangelism that the Apostles practiced when preaching Christ, which was also against the law then.

It is illegal here in China also. Would it not be politically correct to ask for missionaries to come to China, where Christ is well received. You can do it covertly as many Christians do, and still be faithful.

Your question I would think means you think people should openly preach and get arrested? I see what you're saying, but I don't know what purpose getting arrested serves.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2017, 01:14:36 PM »
So, while the missionary work (as opposed to evangelism) in Israel (and a few other states) today seems to always comply with the law, this seems very different from the evangelism that the Apostles practiced when preaching Christ, which was also against the law then.

It is illegal here in China also. Would it not be politically correct to ask for missionaries to come to China, where Christ is well received. You can do it covertly as many Christians do, and still be faithful.

It is interesting that one can be arrested in China and Israel (among various Muslim nations) for evangelizing or overtly preaching the gospel. Is it strange or appropriate that Israel is one of the few westernized nations that fit into that category?

Your question I would think means you think people should openly preach and get arrested? I see what you're saying, but I don't know what purpose getting arrested serves.

No, I don't think that anyone should go to China or Israel and deliberately get arrested for preaching. With today's modern technology, one can preach to people there without actually going there. The difference is, the Chinese people to a greater degree actually receive the gospel. But before anyone says I'm antisemitic, Japan is pretty much in that same boat of not receiving it, as are many Muslim nations.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2017, 04:05:52 PM »
The point is, Jewish people don't trust Christians or the New Testament, and so they respond negatively towards them. After all, Christians persecuted them and the New Testament has thousands of versions. Their Bible has only one version. And so you have to approach them differently from the rest of the world, and especially witnessing the New Testament. They will come around and they have been.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2017, 09:07:40 PM »
Since they don't accept the New Testament for many reasons, we should discuss the Old Testament with them. Not attempt to beat them over the head with the new.

(2 Peter 1:21)
"for prophecy was not ever uttered by [the] will of man, but holy men of God spake under the power of [the] Holy Spirit". -DT

This they believe.

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2017, 04:38:19 AM »
Since they don't accept the New Testament for many reasons,

None of them valid reasons.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2017, 05:33:30 AM »
>>>
we should discuss the Old Testament with them. Not attempt to beat them over the head with the new.
<<<

That is a head-in-the-sand philosophy. The New Testament is the Old Testament revealed. You are in effect saying that we should hold back half of the Bible, in hopes that they will come to Christian believe by reading them something they already believe? How will they believe the New Testament if we withhold from them that which is a testimony to the truth of the promised Christ, and revelation of that Testament or Covenant? Isn't this exactly what God sent messengers, witnesses and preachers to do? God didn't send John the Baptist to Israel to say "I'm alright, you're alright, we're all alright," he sent Him to preach Rwepent, for the end is at hand. This modern day approach to preaching is the ruination and scourge of the church.

Romans 10:14-17
  • "How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed? and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard? and how shall they hear without a preacher?
  • And how shall they preach, except they be sent? as it is written, How beautiful are the feet of them that preach the gospel of peace, and bring glad tidings of good things!
  • But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Esaias saith, Lord, who hath believed our report?
  • So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

They can't have knowledge if we withhold it from them, and they can't hear without a preacher, and they won't believe what they hear is true without the Spirit of truth, so how is that in harmony with this theory of neglect of God's Testament concerning fulfilled prophecy?

First, we should discuss with them (assuming they will listen) the whole Bible, illustrating its synchronicity, harmony, consistency and perfect integration of God's purposes, prophesies and covenants. To leave half of the Bible out is at best counterproductive, and at worst a violation of taking away from the words of the book. It seems some Christians act as if it is man's own teaching techniques that will draw people to Christ. Nothing could be further from the truth. The chosen are taught of the Spirit to believe, not by man's wisdom and intellectual formulas.

Second, that's like giving someone a beautiful car, but removing the engine. The Revelation of Christ in the New Testament is the engine of this car, so how do you "not" include that? The Old Covenant and New Covenant are intricately and intimately related so that discussing one half is like trying to drive a car without wheels. It makes it impossible to witness to the present reality of Israel's Covenant, People, Restoration, Peace, King and Kingdom.

Third, I fail to see how witnessing to the validity of the New Testament with Israel through a sound exegesis and witness of Scripture is  "beating them over the head?" Is that not what we were told to do by Christ? To be Witnesses and testify to the truth of these things? I have never understood this notion that we should be silent about the one Christ among certain people because (it is surmised) God will call them in due time. The fact is, the due time is now, and God calls them through preaching, not through silence. Thus we are assured that our commission to witness to the world is not in vain.

Isaiah 49:8
  • "Thus saith the LORD, In an acceptable time have I heard thee, and in a day of salvation have I helped thee: and I will preserve thee, and give thee for a covenant of the people, to establish the earth, to cause to inherit the desolate heritages;"
2nd Corinthians 6:2
  • "For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation."

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2017, 09:02:05 AM »
Jon, correct! None of them are valid.

Can we as Jews truly Trust the New Testament?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]