[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Should Christians Evangelize or Preach to Jews  (Read 10782 times)

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
Re: Should Christians Evangelize or Preach to Jews
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2005, 08:06:09 AM »
Rom 2:28-29
28 For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29  But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.

This question about the 'Jews' is not difficult to answer, if one were to simply accept God's (instead of man's) definition of who the real Jews are, and honorably search the Scriptures for truth and harmony, instead of being carnally minded, seeking support for one's own personal biases or agendas.

judy

Judy, I know that there are spiritual Jews. Everyone keeps repeating these scriptures as if I am denying this. That wasn't my question. I was seeking to understand how this fits in conjunction with what this article states.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2005, 08:09:09 AM »
Lieberman,
  I find it "extremely interesting" that not one of these honest open reformed christians here  ::)  have answered your specific question about the article about Jews. You did notice that, didn't you?

Yes, but I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt in maybe they misunderstood my question. I'm not going to jump to conclusions.

Maybe because you are Jewish, they are afraid of your question, as they have moved heaven and hell not to answer it.

I won't believe that is true until I see evidence of it. By the way Drew, you haven't answered it either  ;)

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:51 AM »
Marty,

From what I've read of your understanding, there's a pretty good chance that you are not a Jew...that's from a strictly Biblical viewpoint.  But that is not to say that you will never become one.

Well that's pretty rude. You don't know anything about me except that I asked questions about Jews and this article and anyone's opinion of it.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2005, 08:25:59 AM »
Hi Lieberman, a belated welcome to the forum.

Well thank you sue. I appreciate that.

You're right, no one has yet answered the question you put forth, and there does seem to be some rudeness here from one individual. So let me be the first to try and answer the question.

1 Peter 3:15 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

Sounds like I'm talking to someone who actually lives the word he reads.

First, I did read the article, and my feelings about it is that it is a unwise apology for the Bible. God sent us to evangelize the world. Jewish people are part of the world. So the question itself seems somewhat contrived, no?

Perhaps. But I am genuienly looking for the truth of what scripture teaches about the people of Israel. Many have explained to me that God still has a special promises for the people of Israel. I'm trying to bring harmony to the scriptures they give me with the ones that many here use. I didn't know it would be so hostile and judgmental.

The article seems to be attempting to apologize for Christianity. Christianity has to deny the validity of the Old Jewish law because it is based on a false concept of salvation. By definition, Christ or Christian religion is opposed to any salvation by works of the law. Observing theTorah for salvation cannot be of God, and should never be condoned by any Christian.

That was my understanding as well, but many christians say that somehow there was a slightly different salvation dispensation for Jews. I'm trying to reconcile that with grace and the new testament dispensation. Why is there an 0ld testament, and why was it replaced if it wasn't different? I think it's a good question.

And the natural Jews who would abandon them (according to that article) as traitors are not really the Israel of God. Thus they are not the covenant people and cannot lay claim to any of the covenant blessings.

Yet the natural Jews who do accept Christ are still covenant people. That's what I'm talking about. Their teaching is that there will come a time when natural Jews will turn to Christ and become those spiritual Jews because of the Covenant God has with them. Some Amillennialists I have talked to hold to this also, so it's not just premils. Why biblically are they wrong?

Yes, Paul was talking about the natural Jews in that context. But only those who were also spiritual Jews. Some were not. That's what Romans 9:7-8 that I referenced says. All Israel is not Israel, only some of them are.  It is only a remnant that are Israel in God's sight. So to answer your question, the article seems flawed to me on a very basic christian level.

Thank you kindly for addressing some of my issues. At least I know you understand that it is talking about the natural Jews in that context. I know all Israel is not Israel. I'm confused as to whether at some point most of Israel will be. In other words, a future conversion of the Jews.

Baerchild

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2005, 12:04:40 PM »
Well that's pretty rude. You don't know anything about me except that I asked questions about Jews and this article and anyone's opinion of it.
Marty,

Sorry, I was out of line.

I've noticed for sometime that you seldom include Scripture in your points or questions...but you do quote others who point to appropriate verses.  It just seemed to me that you're more interested in the opinions of others concerning a certain article which might support the conversion of National Israel, rather than the Word of God wherein you may find your answer.

"...for vain is the help of man."

Jim

Arnold

• The Spirit is willing, but the Flesh is weak.
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2005, 03:53:03 AM »
Here is a good article that helps explain why many Christians don't evangelize Jews.

http://web.archive.org/web/20081215130324/http://www.christianitytoday.com/magazines/bc/2001/005/5.16.html

many people do not understand Jews and so have a hard time not being anti-semitic

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2005, 03:38:30 AM »

Sorry, I was out of line.

I've noticed for sometime that you seldom include Scripture in your points or questions.

I don't think scripture is required when you are asking questions trying to find some answers, only when you are answering questions or teaching or claiming some doctrine.

..but you do quote others who point to appropriate verses.

I referenced an article that I thought was interesting, and wondered how christians with a lot more biblical training would answer such an article.

It just seemed to me that you're more interested in the opinions of others concerning a certain article which might support the conversion of National Israel, rather than the Word of God wherein you may find your answer.

You got all of that from my words "I'd be interested in what you all think of this article?" I think you are jumping to conclusions. If my question about the article was that difficult, never mind.

Baerchild

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2005, 07:30:21 PM »
Marty,

Re: I don't think scripture is required when you are asking questions trying to find some answers,...

I hope you won't think it politically incorrect, but do you believe that The Lord Jesus Christ is God?

Jim

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2005, 06:09:27 AM »

Here is a good article that helps explain why many christians don't evangelize Jews.

http://web.archive.org/web/20081215130324/http://www.christianitytoday.com/magazines/bc/2001/005/5.16.html

I don't think that this article explains anything. The notion that we should evangelize everyone except Jews is absurd. I think the true Christian attitude is summed up in this quote from the article.

• Evangelicals respond that the imperative to share the gospel is a tenet of their faith; Christians are eager to sit at the dialogue table, but not if it means checking their Christianity at the door. We mean no harm, they say, occasionally bewildered by the vehemence with which Jews react to evangelistic efforts; we're spreading the gospel because we care about our neighbor. As the SBC's Phil Roberts put it in 1996, "All we're talking about here is. … sharing of our faith in a loving way with those around us. … Let's say you've found a cure for cancer or discovered the fountain of youth. The right thing to do would be to share it with others."

We shouldn't care about what is politically correct. We preach the gospel to all nations. If they reject it, then we simply move on to others who might receive it. We don't say they are a different type of people and stop preaching to them because they're Jews. We go from city to city, from nation to nation, to the whole world, with no regard for nationality. Our regard is only for if they will receive the gospel or not.

many people do not understand Jews and so have a hard time not being anti-semitic

This is also absurd. Spreading the gospel has nothing to do with being antisemitic, and understanding Jews is as simple as understanding man. He's desperately wicked and a sinner from the womb. Jews are no better or worse than any other people. That is what those who talk about not evangelizing Jews don't get.
Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Illuminated

• In him was life; and the life was the light of men
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2005, 03:13:07 PM »
Should Christians attempt to evangelize Jews

http://www.abrock.com/Attempt.html

I have read the few responses I've gotten. It seems this is an issue that few want to discuss. But what are your feelings on what this article states? Do you agree it is biblical, or disagree, and why? I know that gentiles can be jews. But can Jews be Gentiles or is their a special relationship?

Lieberman,

I have looked over all of the posts you have made in this thread and the thread concerning God's chosen people, and I thought it might be helpful to write a detailed post addressing your concerns and questions.  Some of what I write here will be a repetition of what others have already stated, but I believe this is the best way to handle your questions to make sure that nothing is left unanswered.  This will be a long reply, but I ask that you please read it and carefully consider what is written here.  Your questions will be answered directly from the word of God.  First I will address your questions concerning the article to which you provided the link.  I do not know anything about the person who wrote this article, but I do know God's word, and because of this, I can tell you that this person is either ignorant of what is written in the Bible, or he just doesn't care about what is written in the Bible.  There is no question that this article is unbiblical, and I will use a few quotes from the article to show you why.

Christians, however, had a more troubling theological difficulty than did Jews, for they were inextricably tied, through Jesus, to the God who gave Torah to the Jewish people and entered into covenant with them: "I will be your God and you will be my people." The theological question for Christians thus was how they could be servants of the God of Israel, whom they only knew through Torah observant Jesus, so long as the Jewish people existed as a constant reminder that Christians were interlopers, trespassers even, in the covenant.

Here, Mr. Brockway demonstrates his complete ignorance of the nature of the covenants that God made with Israel.  The first covenant (the law) was given to the physical nation of Israel, and they broke it through their continual disobedience and idolatry (as was prophesied in the Old Testament).

Deuteronomy 31
24   And it came to pass, when Moses had made an end of writing the words of this law in a book, until they were finished,
25   That Moses commanded the Levites, which bare the ark of the covenant of the LORD, saying,
26   Take this book of the law, and put it in the side of the ark of the covenant of the LORD your God, that it may be there for a witness against thee.
27   For I know thy rebellion, and thy stiff neck: behold, while I am yet alive with you this day, ye have been rebellious against the LORD; and how much more after my death?
28   Gather unto me all the elders of your tribes, and your officers, that I may speak these words in their ears, and call heaven and earth to record against them.
29   For I know that after my death ye will utterly corrupt yourselves, and turn aside from the way which I have commanded you; and evil will befall you in the latter days; because ye will do evil in the sight of the LORD, to provoke him to anger through the work of your hands.

Jeremiah 11
6   Then the LORD said unto me, Proclaim all these words in the cities of Judah, and in the streets of Jerusalem, saying, Hear ye the words of this covenant, and do them.
7   For I earnestly protested unto your fathers in the day that I brought them up out of the land of Egypt, even unto this day, rising early and protesting, saying, Obey my voice.
8   Yet they obeyed not, nor inclined their ear, but walked every one in the imagination of their evil heart: therefore I will bring upon them all the words of this covenant, which I commanded them to do: but they did them not.
9   And the LORD said unto me, A conspiracy is found among the men of Judah, and among the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
10   They are turned back to the iniquities of their forefathers, which refused to hear my words; and they went after other gods to serve them: the house of Israel and the house of Judah have broken my covenant which I made with their fathers.
11   Therefore thus saith the LORD, Behold, I will bring evil upon them, which they shall not be able to escape; and though they shall cry unto me, I will not hearken unto them.

The second covenant (grace and righteousness brought by the shed blood of Christ and cleansing by the Holy Spirit) was never promised to the physical nation alone.  It was promised to all of God’s people (Jew and Gentile alike).  This covenant required obedience also, but Jesus Christ insured that the obedience would always be met.  The second covenant was actually promised before the first and we need to pay careful attention to what God says about it.

Genesis 3
15  And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Genesis 21
12  And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.

Genesis 22
15  And the angel of the LORD called unto Abraham out of heaven the second time,
16  And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the LORD, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
17  That in blessing I will bless thee, and in multiplying I will multiply thy seed as the stars of the heaven, and as the sand which is upon the sea shore; and thy seed shall possess the gate of his enemies;
18  And in thy seed shall all the nations of the earth be blessed; because thou hast obeyed my voice.

2 Samuel 7
8  Now therefore so shalt thou say unto my servant David, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, I took thee from the sheepcote, from following the sheep, to be ruler over my people, over Israel:
9  And I was with thee whithersoever thou wentest, and have cut off all thine enemies out of thy sight, and have made thee a great name, like unto the name of the great men that are in the earth.
10  Moreover I will appoint a place for my people Israel, and will plant them, that they may dwell in a place of their own, and move no more; neither shall the children of wickedness afflict them any more, as beforetime,
11  And as since the time that I commanded judges to be over my people Israel, and have caused thee to rest from all thine enemies. Also the LORD telleth thee that he will make thee an house.
12  And when thy days be fulfilled, and thou shalt sleep with thy fathers, I will set up thy seed after thee, which shall proceed out of thy bowels, and I will establish his kingdom.
13  He shall build an house for my name, and I will stablish the throne of his kingdom for ever.

The seed spoken of to Adam, Abraham, and David in these passages of scripture refers to none other than the Lord Jesus Christ.  The fact that God tells Abraham it is through this seed that all nations of the earth will be blessed, lets us know without a doubt that this promise is not meant for just the physical nation of Israel.  This is confirmed for us in the New Testament.

Galatians 3
13  Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:
14  That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
15  Brethren, I speak after the manner of men; Though it be but a man's covenant, yet if it be confirmed, no man disannulleth, or addeth thereto.
16  Now to Abraham and his seed were the promises made. He saith not, And to seeds, as of many; but as of one, And to thy seed, which is Christ.
17  And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.
18  For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.

The phrase that Mr. Brockway quotes – “I will be your God, and you will be my people” – is a reference to this covenant that God would establish through Christ for all nations of the world.  It never referred only to national Israel.

Ezekiel 37
24  And David my servant shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my judgments, and observe my statutes, and do them.
25  And they shall dwell in the land that I have given unto Jacob my servant, wherein your fathers have dwelt; and they shall dwell therein, even they, and their children, and their children's children for ever: and my servant David shall be their prince for ever.
26  Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them: and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them for evermore.
27  My tabernacle also shall be with them: yea, I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
28  And the heathen shall know that I the LORD do sanctify Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them for evermore.

John 10
14  I am the good shepherd, and know my sheep, and am known of mine.
15  As the Father knoweth me, even so know I the Father: and I lay down my life for the sheep.
16  And other sheep I have, which are not of this fold: them also I must bring, and they shall hear my voice; and there shall be one fold, and one shepherd.

Jeremiah 31
31  Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:
32  Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake, although I was an husband unto them, saith the LORD:
33  But this shall be the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel; After those days, saith the LORD, I will put my law in their inward parts, and write it in their hearts; and will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34  And they shall teach no more every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the LORD: for they shall all know me, from the least of them unto the greatest of them, saith the LORD: for I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.

The NT quotes this passage word for word and lets us know without a doubt that the covenant that God would establish with "the house of Israel and the house of Judah" in which He would "forgive their iniquity" and "remember their sin no more" is none other than the new covenant that Jesus Christ established through His shed blood on the cross.  I won’t post it here but please read Hebrews, chapters 8 – 10 (the quote from Jeremiah is found in chapter 8 ).  Also, pay careful attention to how that phrase is repeated in the scriptures that I just posted – “I will be their God, and they will be my people”.  Like I said, this refers to all of God’s people from all nations of the world – the elect whom He chose before the foundation of the world.  This is what Mr. Brockway and so many Christians do not understand today.  God has always had only one group of people – the “ekklesia”, the assembly, the called out ones, the elect – made up of people from every nation.  Before the cross, it primarily consisted of Jews with a few Gentiles (people such as Rahab and Ruth).  After the cross, it consists of mostly Gentiles with a remnant of Jews (Paul and the twelve, and every Jew who has come to Christ since His resurrection).  Christians are not “interlopers” and “trespassers” in the covenant as Mr. Brockway suggests.  Christians (Jews and Gentiles as one body in Christ) were always the object of the covenant.  They are the ones who would be His people, and He would be their God.

Here is another grievous mistake that Mr. Brockway makes in explaining the relationship between Judaism and Christianity.

Jews and Christians worship the same God -- the God who made covenant with
Israel. Should Christians then try to convince Jews to worship God in the Christian way, with the Christian goal (salvation) in mind, instead of the Jewish way, with the Jewish goal (obedience) in mind? Many Christians think so; many do not. In each case the response hangs on a critical interpretation of Christian identity.

This statement could not be farther from the truth.  Jews and Christians do not worship the same God.

John 5
22  For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:
23  That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.
24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.

John 8
18  I am one that bear witness of myself, and the Father that sent me beareth witness of me.
19  Then said they unto him, Where is thy Father? Jesus answered, Ye neither know me, nor my Father: if ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also.
20  These words spake Jesus in the treasury, as he taught in the temple: and no man laid hands on him; for his hour was not yet come.

John 14
5  Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
7  If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
8  Philip saith unto him, Lord, show us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
9  Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Show us the Father?
10  Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
11  Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

John 14
21  He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.
22  Judas saith unto him, not Iscariot, Lord, how is it that thou wilt manifest thyself unto us, and not unto the world?
23  Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.
24  He that loveth me not keepeth not my sayings: and the word which ye hear is not mine, but the Father's which sent me.

John 15
22  If I had not come and spoken unto them, they had not had sin: but now they have no cloak for their sin.
23  He that hateth me hateth my Father also.
24  If I had not done among them the works which none other man did, they had not had sin: but now have they both seen and hated both me and my Father.

John 16
2  They shall put you out of the synagogues: yea, the time cometh, that whosoever killeth you will think that he doeth God service.
And these things will they do unto you, because they have not known the Father, nor me.

1 John 5
1  Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.

1 John 5
9  If we receive the witness of men, the witness of God is greater: for this is the witness of God which he hath testified of his Son.
10  He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of his Son.
11  And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son.
12  He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

This is the pure, unadulterated, infallible, undeniable word from the mouth of God Himself.  To deny Jesus, is to deny God; to hate Jesus, is to hate God; to dishonor Jesus, is to dishonor God; to reject Jesus and His word, is to reject God and His word.  It is impossible to worship God apart from Jesus Christ; therefore, Jews who hate and reject the only begotten Son of God are not worshiping the same God as Christians who have received Him.  Mr. Brockway’s suggestion that Jews have obedience in mind when they define salvation, neglects the fact the Jews have disobeyed God’s most important command:

John 6
28  Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God?
29  Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

Jews and Christians do not worship the same God.  And what follows next only compounds Mr. Brockway’s error.

On the other hand, there are Christians who are just as firmly convinced that the attempt to convert Jews to Christianity is to betray the God whom they both worship. On their reasoning, Jews as individuals are, by definition, part of the Jewish people with whom God made covenant; they are already within the covenant and have no need to enter it in a different way. The attempt to convince them otherwise is an attempt to convince them to deny God's covenant with Israel. The proper stance for Christians, therefore, is to understand as best they can what it means for Jews to live as obedient members of the Jewish people before the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob. And, in the process, help Jews comprehend how it is that Christians -- gentiles for the most part -- can rightly worship that same God "through Jesus Christ our Lord."

Christians who reason this way are deceived and ignorant of what the word of God states.  Jews are not “by definition, part of the Jewish people with whom God made covenant”.  They are not “already in the covenant and have no need to enter it in a different way”.  As it is written:

Romans 9
6  Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.
9  For this is the word of promise, At this time will I come, and Sarah shall have a son.

And again:

Romans 2
25  For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
26  Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
27  And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
28  For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
29  But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God

And again:

John 14
6  Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

Only those in Christ, circumcised in the heart by the Spirit (whether Jews or Gentiles) are true Jews and part of the covenant with the true Israel.  Those who reject Christ (whether Jews or Gentiles) are spiritually Gentiles, uncircumcised in the heart and have no part in the true Israel or in the everlasting covenant. 

And so Mr. Brockway’s error continues farther:

Israel's Covenant with God Remains Valid
…The latter-day realization that God's covenant with the Jewish people remains valid -- which Vatican II made explicit and numerous Protestant affirmations confirmed -- came, therefore, as a shock to those portions of the Christian community that were aware of or sensed its import.

Again, Mr. Brockway’s ignorance of God’s covenants is clearly seen.  As stated previously, Israel broke their covenant with God through their disobedience.  God has established a new covenant now, and the old is no longer valid (at least not in the way that this article suggests).    The Jews cannot find salvation in obedience to the law because they are not capable of keeping God’s law perfectly.  This has always been the mistake of Jews and Christian dispensationalists who think that the Jews are under a different salvation plan than the rest of the world.  They don’t recognize that there is no salvation outside of Christ because those who are not in Him stand guilty of breaking God’s law, and thus must be judged accordingly.  There is not one person (Jew or Gentile) in all of human history who has ever kept or ever will keep God’s law perfectly (except for Jesus Christ and those found in Him).  To suggest that Jews can find salvation in obedience to the Law is unbiblical heresy.

Romans 9
30  What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31  But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32  Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;
33  As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

Galatians 3
10  For as many as are of the works of the law are under the curse: for it is written, Cursed is every one that continueth not in all things which are written in the book of the law to do them.
11  But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12  And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.
13  Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

The Law cannot save.  It can only bring cursing and death.  However, the problem is not with the Law.  The Bible uses words such as good, holy, and spiritual to describe the Law.  The Law is a reflection of God’s holy and perfect nature.  The problem is with man, because we cannot keep the Law.  It exposes our sin before a holy God, and brings us death.  Our only hope is in Christ (the one who kept the Law perfectly).

Romans 7
7  What shall we say then? Is the law sin? God forbid. Nay, I had not known sin, but by the law: for I had not known lust, except the law had said, Thou shalt not covet.
8  But sin, taking occasion by the commandment, wrought in me all manner of concupiscence. For without the law sin was dead.
9  For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died.
10  And the commandment, which was ordained to life, I found to be unto death.
11  For sin, taking occasion by the commandment, deceived me, and by it slew me.
12  Wherefore the law is holy, and the commandment holy, and just, and good.
13  Was then that which is good made death unto me? God forbid. But sin, that it might appear sin, working death in me by that which is good; that sin by the commandment might become exceeding sinful.
14  For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin.

The Law simply cannot save anyone.  Only Christ can, and this goes for Jews and Gentiles.  As it is written:

Romans 3
21  But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22  Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
23  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24  Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25  Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26  To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.

The declarations of misguided and biblically uninformed Christians (“Vatican II” and “numerous Protestant affirmations”) cannot change that fact.  However, as I said before, the first covenant still has its place, but not in the manner suggested by Mr. Brockway.  The old covenant finds its fulfillment in the new.  God’s words will never pass away.  We must still adhere to His Law.  It continues to teach us of God’s holiness, our sinfulness and utter helplessness before this holy God, and of our need for a savior (the Lord Jesus Christ).  He is the one who fulfills this Law, and we can only fulfill it in Him.

Matthew 5
17  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
18  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
19  Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
20  For I say unto you, That except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.

The new covenant fulfills the old.  It was established in the shed blood of Jesus Christ, and it is only by being buried with Him in death and raised again in His resurrection, born again of the Spirit and circumcised in the heart, that anyone (Jew or Gentile) can meet God’s righteous requirements.  Mr. Brockway does not understand this, and that is why his entire article is a grievous error.  I could take up many pages writing about the rest of the errors that fill this article, but I hope that won’t be necessary.  What you have read so far should be sufficient to demonstrate that this article is indeed unbiblical.  If you do have questions about anything specific that is in the article, please don’t hesitate to ask.  I would be happy to answer your questions.  I will end this post for now because it has grown so long,  but I would still like to address your question of whether or not Christians should evangelize Jews.  The answer of course is yes; however, I will provide the biblical details of why this is so in another post.

Please let me know if this helps you in any way.

May God bless you with the wisdom and the understanding to truly know His holy word.

William
"Through the tender mercy of our God; whereby the dayspring from on high has visited us, to give light to them that sit in darkness and in the shadow of death, to guide our feet into the way of peace." Luke 1:78-79

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2005, 04:03:20 AM »
If you do have questions about anything specific that is in the article, please don’t hesitate to ask.  I would be happy to answer your questions.  I will end this post for now because it has grown so long,  but I would still like to address your question of whether or not Christians should evangelize Jews.  The answer of course is yes; however, I will provide the biblical details of why this is so in another post.

Please let me know if this helps you in any way.

May God bless you with the wisdom and the understanding to truly know His holy word.

William

Excellent response William, may God bless you. I was thinking about looking up some verses and responding, but you have put it much better than I would have.

1 Peter 3:15
 "But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:"

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2005, 05:27:06 AM »
I hope you won't think it politically incorrect, but do you believe that The Lord Jesus Christ is God?

Jim

Yes.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2005, 05:55:58 AM »
William and Kenneth,
  Thanks for your responses. I don't want you to think I'm ignoring you the last few days, I just have been chewing over what you've said, and also have been reading the eschatology section. I have some things to think over. But I'm still interested in what you have to say or anything new you can add.

Gods Child

• another one of God's children
    • The Word of Truth ~ as it is written
« Reply #43 on: February 06, 2005, 04:55:12 PM »
Joh 20:26  And after eight days again his disciples were within, and Thomas with them: then came Jesus, the doors being shut, and stood in the midst, and said, Peace be unto you.

Joh 20:27  Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.

Joh 20:28  And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.

Thomas says He is  :)
Pro 1:7 
The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2005, 11:14:43 AM »
This is a question that has been raised many times.

http://members.tripod.com/JCRelations/9.html

This should answer the question.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]