[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Premillennialism / Literalism?  (Read 25558 times)

George

• I'm a llama!
Premillennialism / Literalism?
« on: March 25, 2003, 11:09:04 PM »
From reading many posts on this website, I know that most of the Christians here are of the Reformed Amillennial or Postmillennial persuasion, but I would like to discuss the Premillennial viewpoint if that is ok.

Would anyone be interested in discussing the Premillennial position of the early church and how and why people have abandoned it? I would like to discuss this eschatology, and it's merits.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: Premillennialism / Literalism?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2003, 12:43:19 PM »
>>>
From reading many posts on this website, I know that most of the Christians here are of the Reformed Amillennial or Postmillennial persuasion, but I would like to discuss the Premillennial viewpoint if that is ok.
<<<

Sure it is. The only requirement we have in this 'particular' forum is that you support your contentions with scripture, don't attack anyone personally (attacking our doctrine with Biblical refutation is fine), and that you don't defer to authors, traditions or secular history over the Bible. We do this not to limit conversation, but to assure that we are getting bible-based discussions, not secular history. The two forums where this is required is the eschatology and Theology forums.

>>>
Would anyone be interested in discussing the Premillennial position of the early church and how and why people have abandoned it?
<<<

If you want to discuss the early Church from a tradition or secular history standpoint, you'll have to move to the "Open Forum" with your thread. ..since there is no Biblical support for secular writings of historians, and the whole premise of this forum is to have us "appeal to scripture" in support of our Eschatological perspectives.

But in brief, I think the people abandoned the old Judaic form of eschatology of earthly kingdoms, cities, and rules, because it was seen to be antithetical to Christ's teachings of the gospel. What is today called Premillennialism is nothing more than what the Israelites believed about the restoration of a physical Kingdom when Christ first came to them, and this doctrine has been carried over into the New testament congregation in Premillennialism. Christ spoke against it then, and it's no less irrelevant to the glorious kingdom of God today. Many early Jewish Christians likewise didn't understand the Kingdom of Heaven. Even the Apostles asked about the restoration of Israel (under inspiration of God, for His purposes) because they hadn't yet understood. But they would understand when after Holy Spirit was poured out at Pentecost.

But again, this is the problem that many Premillennialists get into when they study eschatology. Instead of studying the Bible, comparing Scripture with Sciptures, and receiving what it says, they're quoting authors like C.I. Scofield, Josephus and John Walvoord. Instead of deferring to what God has inspired written as their beliefs, they defer to what some author wrote, or what they think the early church might have believed. Instead of relying on the scripture alone as the "ultimate authority" for what is correct, they go to theologians and to history. But he with ears to hear knows that the "pertinent" question is not, "what did the early church believe," but rather "what does the Bible actually say?" What did Christ actually teach of the Kingdom? What did Christ actually teach about Israel? What was the Kingdom of God actually likened unto? When were God's children actually translated into Christ's kingdom? When we get our interpretations from scripture rather than from teachers, historians and secular books, then we can be sure that we building upon firm foundation. Even as the "more noble" or honest Bereans were (Acts 17:11).

So then, what passages from scripture do you believe support a Premillennial view, or what passages show that Christ must come again to reign a thousand years upon this sin cursed earth?

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

David Oddo

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2003, 04:43:38 PM »
Would anyone be interested in discussing the Premillennial position of the early church and how and why people have abandoned it?

Hi George.

As a former premillenialist, I can speak for myself. The word of God changed me.   :)

Growing up I attended a premillenialist church, which was big into dispensational teaching. I heard about the 1,000 yr reign, and saw a few verses loosely put together, so in my ignorance I accepted it as Truth. Well, as I got older, into my teen yrs.. I began to have an intense God-given desire to study the word. And as I did, I began hearing things that troubled me from the pulpit. One day I was listening to Christian radio, and a man on there said there was no future 1,000 yr reign. At first I was shocked, because at this point I had assumed everyone was pre-millenialist. But the scriptures he gave to explain what he was saying did seem to reconcile. So my interest was greatly peeked, and I determined to do an intense study on this matter.

As I studied all Christ said, all the Apostles said, all the references to the age to come... and the verses that speak of eternity, I saw how pre-millenialism made absolutely no sense in view of these passages. Then I saw how all the verses that were used to support premillenialism were actually being misapplied. And then I  found out there were multitudes of Christians through the centuries who were not "pre-millenialist", as I had supposed. After studying this issue for several days, God showed me His Truth on this matter. And I now see so clearly, the 1,000 yrs is the church age. And Christ's return on the last day, marks the inception of eternity and the New Heaven and Earth.

2 Peter 3:8-9
But, beloved, be not ignorant of this one thing, that one day is with the Lord as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day. The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.
But the day of the Lord will come as a thief in the night; in the which the heavens shall pass away with a great noise, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat, the earth also and the works that are therein shall be burned up.
Seeing then that all these things shall be dissolved, what manner of persons ought ye to be in all holy conversation and godliness,
Looking for and hasting unto the coming of the day of God, wherein the heavens being on fire shall be dissolved, and the elements shall melt with fervent heat?
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

Incidentally, this is how I came to the Truth on predestination and election too. Being a Berean at 17 yrs old, and studying God's word to see if these things were so. God was my teacher bringing me out of the unbiblical errors of premillenialism and freewill gospels. I can only praise him for opening my eyes.

In Christ
Jeremiah 23:29
Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2003, 05:42:36 PM »
Ok, that's fair enough. First of all I have a problem with the futurist understanding of the kingdom. The method of writing shows that it is a physical Kingdom, and thus it's certainly not now.

Psalms 122:5 For there are set thrones of judgment, the thrones of the house of David.
 6 Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: they shall prosper that love thee.
 7 Peace be within thy walls, and prosperity within thy palaces.

Peace in the palaces and walls. This has to be built.

The scriptures call for a sudden coming of Christ and his bringing fruit to israel to bring peace to them. The Kingdom was promised Israel forever. So the Arabs cannot take it.

1 Kings 2:45 And king Solomon shall be blessed, and the throne of David shall be established before the LORD for ever.

This peace of the kingdom is future, and that peace will last for 1000 years according to revelation chapter 20. That's what the kingdom is bringing in. After the 1000 years it will continue forever. We don't see such a physical kingdom now. Obviously, it is future.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2003, 05:48:41 PM »
David,
  What  do you mean the verses of Premillennialism are misapplied? That's an opinion. Is it misapplied when God promised Israel the land forever? How is that misapplied? When you use the historicist method, you find a kingdom is a kingdom. It's not spiritualizing. land is land, it's not spiritualizing. Nations are nations, they are not spiritualizing.

David Oddo

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2003, 02:41:17 AM »
David,
  What  do you mean the verses of Premillennialism are misapplied?

George, there are no verses of premillenialism. What I said was, "the verses that were used to support premillenialism were actually being misapplied."

When a premillenialist looks to Isaiah 65, for example... and says, "look here, in Isaiah 65:20, this is speaking of the time period of the millenial reign of Christ on this earth..."

Isaiah 65:20
There shall be no more thence an infant of days, nor an old man that hath not filled his days: for the child shall die an hundred years old; but the sinner being an hundred years old shall be accursed.

...what they are doing is misapplying that verse to their own preconceived idea of a future 1,000 yr reign of Christ on this earth. But they are dead wrong, for God gives us the context of what period this is..and it is the period of eternity.. the New Heaven and Earth. The previous 3 verses have set the stage for verse 20.

Isaiah 65:17-19
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

Premillenialists will teach you that the New Heaven and Earth does not come until after some 1,000 yr reign of Christ on this sin-cursed earth. Yet, they will use verses speaking of the New Heaven and Earth, and try to apply them to an imagined 1,000 yr period. That is gross misapplication. And yet, this is commonplace by those who subscribe to premillenialism.

Is it misapplied when God promised Israel the land forever?

Unfortunately premillenialists do not know who is the Israel of God and which land is promised forever. The land in the middle east was not promised forever. That was a type and shadow of the eternal promised Land of the New Heaven and Earth. But father Abraham knew which land was promised forever. He viewed the land in the Middle East as a strange country, for he looked for the eternal city!

Hebrews 11:9
By faith he sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange country, dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of the same promise:
For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose builder and maker is God.

God's word is very clear this earth is going to be destroyed, and that includes the chunk of land in the middle east. But the promised seed of Abraham, the great multitude which no man can number, will indeed enter into the Land of Promise, and will never be removed.

2 Peter 3:13
Nevertheless we, according to his promise, look for new heavens and a new earth, wherein dwelleth righteousness.

When you use the historicist method, you find a kingdom is a kingdom.

The Kingdom of God is not National Israel. Christ said to National Israel:

Matthew 21:43
Therefore say I unto you, The kingdom of God shall be taken from you, and given to a nation bringing forth the fruits thereof.

The nation of Israel ceased to be the national representatives of the kingdom of God when Christ came. The Kingdom of God is not a country, it is not the nation in the middle east. It is not a race of people. It is not a physical kingdom on this earth. God's word is clear, it's in the carnal minds of men where there is confusion. Christ's kingdom is not of this world. God's chosen holy nation is the Church.

1 Peter 2:9
But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light;

The Israel of God, is not the antichrist nation in the middle east. It is not the physical seed of Abraham, except for the remnant of the physical seed according to the election of grace. Because someone is born a Jew does not make them chosen. The Israel of God is made up of Jews and Gentiles alike, those elected together in Christ Jesus. This is the Jerusalem above, which is free. This is the true seed of Abraham. And the heirs according to the promise.

Galatians 3:27-29
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.
There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.
And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

In Christ

Is not my word like as a fire? saith the LORD; and like a hammer that breaketh the rock in pieces?

Glenda

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2003, 09:18:59 AM »
In light of the war situation , going on in Irac now , can someone please explain this verse in Isaiah2:4

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

If we are in the millenial reign NOW , what does this mean?
In His Grip...
Glenda
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Adullamite

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2003, 11:49:57 AM »
In light of the war situation , going on in Irac now , can someone please explain this verse in Isaiah2:4

And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

If we are in the millenial reign NOW , what does this mean?
In His Grip...
Glenda

Glenda.

Why do you think this refers to an earthly millennium?

The millennium refers to Christs reign, which takes place in the hearts of his people: Thy kingdom come, they will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
Did we not see this begin to come to pass when peoples from the nations dwelt together in peace in the Church? Christ has judged many people, he has rebuked them for their sins, and they have lain down there weapons.
It is a mistake to think this refers to an earthly millennium where non-believers will be ruled by Christ in some sort of political Golden age, whether of the pre or post millennial form.

It is all too easy to look at events surrounding us, and turn to passages of scripture. Mat 24 points out that these things will occur throughout the age, until Christ puts down all authority and power at his return.

regards

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2003, 04:27:05 AM »
Let me explain Premillennialism a little. You should read the book about Waiting for His Son from Heaven, By Dr. Dave Breese.  Seems some are hiding from the question.

David Oddo

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2003, 06:38:22 AM »
Doug - Why didn't you answer it for yourself? because you can't? Pointing someone to another man's book again?

Anyway, your accusations are ridiculous. No one was hiding from Glenda's question... at least I know I wasn't. Adumallite answered her question on March 28th. Of which he received no response from Glenda, so there was no further discussion on it.

Oh and since you brought this "ignoring" posts issue up, why did you ignore my responses to you on the "Israel" thread? And what about the "buying and selling" thread? I gave you several verses, and you did not answer? "Hoping those verses go away"?

As to Isaiah 2.....

Isaiah 2:4 is speaking of the church age, when the Holy One of Israel was reconciling the nations unto himself. Christ, the Prince of Peace, has caused the enemies of God from all nations to throw down their swords, and become the sons of the living God. And has made us all family in Christ.

Revelation 5:9
And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;

The statement "it shall come to pass in the last days" in Isaiah 2 is a reference to the whole New testament era...

Isaiah 2:2-4
And it shall come to pass in the last days, that the mountain of the LORD's house shall be established in the top of the mountains, and shall be exalted above the hills; and all nations shall flow unto it.
And many people shall go and say, Come ye, and let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob; and he will teach us of his ways, and we will walk in his paths: for out of Zion shall go forth the law, and the word of the LORD from Jerusalem.

Acts 2:14-18
But Peter, standing up with the eleven, lifted up his voice, and said unto them, Ye men of Judaea, and all ye that dwell at Jerusalem, be this known unto you, and hearken to my words:
For these are not drunken, as ye suppose, seeing it is but the third hour of the day.
But this is that which was spoken by the prophet Joel;
And it shall come to pass in the last days
, saith God, I will pour out of my Spirit upon all flesh: and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams:
And on my servants and on my handmaidens I will pour out in those days of my Spirit; and they shall prophesy
:

Hebrews 1:1-2
God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,
Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

After we get past the verses speaking of God's glorious Salvation progam to the nations, the latter verses of Isaiah 2, start speaking of the "days of vengeance" of the great tribulation period, and Judgment Day for the unsaved...

Isaiah 2:19
And they shall go into the holes of the rocks, and into the caves of the earth, for fear of the LORD, and for the glory of his majesty, when he ariseth to shake terribly the earth.

Revelation 6:15-17
And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;
And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:
For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

There is absolutely no reference to any mythical 1,000 yr reign of Christ on this sin-cursed earth in Isaiah 2. When Christ returns on the last day, this present earth is going up in fire, and the saints will enter into the new heaven and earth to rule and reign with Christ forevermore.

Isaiah 65:17-19
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.
But be ye glad and rejoice for ever in that which I create: for, behold, I create Jerusalem a rejoicing, and her people a joy.
And I will rejoice in Jerusalem, and joy in my people: and the voice of weeping shall be no more heard in her, nor the voice of crying.

In Christ,
David

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2003, 06:41:22 PM »
 For the record, the question was "if this is the millennium, what does this verse mean?"

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

you might just answer the question.

Please.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2003, 07:53:17 PM »
Judy,
 As Tony Warren would say, "This is nothing but distraction from the question." And not even subtle.

For the record, the question was "if this is the millennium, what does this verse mean?"

"And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more."

If you don't have an answer..

Anyone who wants to reply with Bible support, then please do.

Glenda

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2003, 10:00:55 AM »
To whom it may concern: ;)

I can-not understand escatology, I do not know what I believe , as far as escatological views.

I do not think that my salvation is dependent on when the Lord will come for His bride. I think that salvation is based on hearing the word of God.  "The gospel"

Rom 10:17 So then faith [cometh] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Gal 3:2 This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

Gal 3:5 He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, [doeth he it] by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?

I did not put that verse  ( Isaiah 4:2 ) here to cause contention but to see , what it means. Because as I said before I do not understand.
   I also do not understand this war we are fighting. I stand behind our president 100%, but I do not understand. Maybe its a woman thing  ( my being simple ) or maybe God just knows my heart and knows I'm simple and that all this information would be worthless to me.
 I am a christian , that I am sure of, I believe that Jesus is the Son of God , and that He went to the cross willingly to put away MY sin, so that I might fellowship with Him. I know that my righteousness is as filth rags, and that I can not of myself earn or merit salvation. It is simply CHRIST ALONE.
I did not make a "decision for jesus" , I was chosen in Him before the foundation of the world.
  Based on the information that I have given you, do you think I am saved? not that it matters but is believing enough?

Act 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Romans 4 :13-25 For the promise, that he should be the heir of the world, [was] not to Abraham, or to his seed, through the law, but through the righteousness of faith.
   For if they which are of the law [be] heirs, faith is made void, and the promise made of none effect:  
    Because the law worketh wrath: for where no law is, [there is] no transgression.  
    Therefore [it is] of faith, that [it might be] by grace; to the end the promise might be sure to all the seed; not to that only which is of the law, but to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all,  

(As it is written, I have made thee a father of many nations,) before him whom he believed, [even] God, who quickeneth the dead, and calleth those things which be not as though they were.  

Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations, according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.  

And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sara's womb:  
    He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;  
    And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform.  
    And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.  
    Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;  
    But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;  
   Who was delivered for our offences, and was raised again for our justification.  

If you substitute escatological views for the law here in this passage, this is my point, the law (or end time belief) Does not save.

Most of the time I am afraid to post here for fear of being slammed, if you can help me with out being abusive , please do, but other wise  please dont personally attack me!

I Love Him, because He first loved me
Glenda
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2003, 12:21:16 PM »

Still waiting an answer.

Bradley

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
Isaiah 2:4
4   And he shall judge among the nations, and shall rebuke many people: and they shall beat their swords into plowshares, and their spears into pruninghooks: nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall they learn war any more.

This verse is speaking about salvation.  Before we are saved we are enemies to God.  Once we have been quickened by his Holy Spirit we are brought into union with Christ and no longer war against Christ.  We go from warfare to peace.  We are immediately brought into the Kingdom of God and we become fellow workmen for the kingdom.  We begin to plant and water for Christ by proclaiming the good news to all those around us.  The kingdom is made up of people from every tribe and nation, and there is no division within the kingdom of God.  All children of God work in unity for one purpose.  This is only possible with the leading of the Holy Spirit.  One Spirit and one faith, which is the faith of Christ.

Ephesians 2:12-17
12   That at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world:
13   But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.
14   For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15   Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16   And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17   And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.

Romans 8:1-9
1   There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2   For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3   For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4   That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5   For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6   For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7   Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8   So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9   But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.

This is the power of Salvation.  It bring us from "enemy" status to "child of God" status.  We are translated into the kingdom of God.  A spiritual kingdom, not an earthly kingdom.

John 18:36
36   Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence.

Colossions 1:12-14
12   Giving thanks unto the Father, which hath made us meet to be partakers of the inheritance of the saints in light:
13   Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:
14   In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:

May we continue to grow in the grace of God.

Bradley

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]