[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Dyslexic  (Read 7718 times)

matt205

• I'm a llama!
Re:Dyslexic
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2003, 03:30:41 PM »

Tony, Please take the Humor Forum down. Bickering is not humorous.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2003, 04:59:23 PM »
Jim's feelings are his own and should be respected.    There are tons of other subjects that can be discussed, so no point in making a mountain out of a mole hill.  

Also,  jokes shared by dyslexics on a dyslexic site is a different matter altogether -- there it could rightly be said they are laughing 'with' each other.  It's sort of like I can tell Black jokes with Black friends, but I would find it offensive if someone told a Black joke here.

So I say let's respect our brother's wishes and move on to the next joke!  :)

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

matt205

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2003, 06:06:24 PM »
Like I said. We can be PC to the extreme, or we can have a humor forum. But you cannot have both. And to equate racist jopkes to this humor is ridiculous. Let's not play the race card.

I think Tony should either allow humor or take the humor forum down. Maybe get a moderator here or something. If he's going to bow down to this request, then what's the next one. No jokes about stupid people? No jokes about blondes? The list is endless. It will be an endless stream of "I'm offended" by something messages. The point I am making is, there is always someone who is offended. Don't you understand that? Humor is like that. I made a joke about a Preacher putting people to sleep, and a preacher was offended by it and said I was unfairly painting all preachers as boring. So who's to say that's not a fair complaint? You? Jim? The Preacher who was offended? Get a sense of humor or don't come here, that's the proper way to handle it. Especially for a Christian. No one's forcing anyone to read these Jokes.

judykanova

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2003, 10:46:44 PM »
matt205,

One point of clarification, then I don't have anything further to say.  You misunderstood my post altogether.  I wasn't 'playing the race card' nor was I  "equating racist jopkes to this humor".  This has nothing to do with being politically correct.  It has to do with sensitivity to one simple, and in my opinion, reasonable request by a regular member of this forum.  Your arguments regarding 'blondes' and 'preachers' haven't  proven to be an issue here, now have they?  I doubt  this one thing is going to matter one way or the other.  So, I repreat the main point of my post --  stop making a mountain out of a mole hill.

judy
'For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.'   Ps 119:89

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2003, 09:26:01 AM »
I usually agree with you Judy. In fact, 99 percent of the time I think that you are very biblical and wise. But I have to disgree this time. I concur with others who say that if one christian is offended by this type humor, then they should not read the humor forum.

The reason I say that is that whether we like it or not, it is true that we can find people who are offended with almost every joke in this forum. I think you understand that. And you can't defer to what one person requests without doing what the next person asks. Not righteously anyway. You have to be fair. That means when a lady writes next and says she's offended by the women jokes, you have to take all them all off also because once you start this sort of thing, you have to be consistent and treat everyone the same. You can't say it's not ok to hurt your feelings, but it's ok to hurt the women's feelings, or the blondes, or the men, etc.

Personally, if I were a christian Dyslexic (and I know it's easy to say since I'm not), I wouldn't be so sensitive as to look at humor written by Dyslexics themselves, as an offense to me personally (it's obviously not), but as a challenge to myself, to be more Godlike, less concerned about my own feelings, more patient, more forgiving. Likewise, if I were the one making these Dyslexic jokes, I would find some other kind, and be more understanding, more giving and compromising. I like Jim too, but sometime people are overly sensitive, and that's a spiritual problem too.

It is true that since this issue was brought up by Jim, it has literally killed the humor forum. Just took the life right out of it. There were jokes here almost every day. Now no one is posting any at all. Including Jim.. But then, he never has.

I can only assume what's happened is because people have been put off by his charges and indignation. That's unfortunate, because I really enjoyed these little laughs before I go to work and don't see anything wrong with this type humor.

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2003, 06:54:40 PM »
<<<I get so sick of the PC Christians >>>
Sorry,but what is a PC christian?
andreas. 8)
kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2003, 07:57:57 PM »
<<<I get so sick of the PC Christians >>>

Sorry,but what is a PC christian?
andreas. 8)

I guess I'll jump in the fray here. PC stands for "Politically Correct". PC Christians are professing Christians who try to be all things to all people where they try not to offend anyone, and in the process can never really have an opinion, take a stand, or say anything relevant because it might offend someone or hurt someone's feelings. Like people who walk around on egg shells.

In this case, I think the writer intended it to mean those who are quick to jump on the "this is an offensive joke" bandwagon just to appease one person. I think there are implications to making such an appeasement. When you make such concessions, there's no going back.

Personally, I didn't think it was offensive any more than any other joke was offensive, and for anyone to think it was meant cruely is I think ridiculous. I don't think it makes any weaker brother stumble, I think to make this concession causes him to stumble, because it feeds into the self pity.

Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

Kenneth White

• Thinking Christians, Intelligent Theology
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2003, 08:12:47 PM »
I usually agree with you Judy. In fact, 99 percent of the time I think that you are very biblical and wise. But I have to disgree this time. I concur with others who say that if one christian is offended by this type humor, then they should not read the humor forum.

Jeff, I think that's a good point which is overloooked. And I hope no one thinks me cruel or heartless for saying so. I don't mean it that way.

I think you've hit on a very good point here. This is not something I could explain succinctly, but intuitively I think that there is some truth to what you say. Perhaps all humor is offensive, and that's what makes it funny.  Doesn't most humor have a butt -- the person who is dumb, the kid who says something cutting that grown people would never say, the person who slips on the banana peel?

Sure. Maybe in the big scheme of things all humor is offensive. It's not very funny to the person who slips and says something embarrassing, or falls down, especially 20 years later when he/she is still suffering from resultant back pain. But it's harmless humor really. I see a person fall down, once I go over and make sure they are alright, it's natural to laugh, and the person who slips and falls is nine out of ten times laughing harder than those who witnessed it. He's not sitting there thinking poor me, people are making fun of me. laughter is natural.

I'm not saying you're right or wrong about the offense, I have my own view. But I'd say you're right-on saying we either allowing this type humor, or should take down the humor forum all together. Because you can't start splitting hairs about offending this group, this guy, this girl, this one, or that one. Unless it's truly in bad taste or hateful, I don't see the harm in it. I think some people just need to grow up or lighten up a bit. We are talking about Christians here, right? They more than anyone are not supposed to be in self-pity where they are getting offended by every little bit of humor.

I have a bigger question. Does the fact that no one has posted any humor since then mean that people have come to that same conclusion that humor is by it's very nature offensive, and want all the humor stopped? It's something you have to consider.

Proverbs 1:5-6 "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings."

GoldRush

« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2003, 10:08:04 PM »
To all the brethren,

I ask your forgiveness for causing some here to be offended by my complaint of being offended.

One man's offense is no better than the next.

Please continue in whatever pleases you most.

Jim

GoldRush
". . Without Me, you can do nothing."
  John 15:5

andreas

• Gold Member
  • Helpless, look to Thee for grace
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2003, 03:19:49 AM »
 Some people with dyslexia:Thomas Edison ; Albert Einstein ; Winston Churchill ; Michael Heseltine ;  Woodrow Wilson ; George Bush ; George Patton ; Jackie Stewart, a racing driver ; Duncan Goodhew, an olympic swimmer ; Tom Cruise, actor ; George Burns ; Whoopi Goldberg, actress ; Susan Hampshire, actress ; Danny Glove, actor ; Cher, actress, singer.
andreas. 8)

kai ean diabainhs dió udatos meta sou eimi kai potamoi ou sugklusousin se kai ean dielqhs dia puros ou mh katakauqhs flox ou katakausei Isaiah 43:2

Blade

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2003, 10:20:44 AM »
To all the brethren,

I ask your forgiveness for causing some here to be offended by my complaint of being offended.

One man's offense is no better than the next.

No apology necessary Goldrush. We have respect for you and your sensitivity even if we disagree with your first position. I for one won't post anymore Dyslexic jokes.

yaboo

• I'm a Lamma
Re: Dyslexic
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2005, 11:11:07 AM »

Dyslexics untie!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]