[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Taking Communion  (Read 52 times)

Puritan Heart

Taking Communion
« on: September 07, 2017, 06:20:18 AM »
Greetings all,

In reference to the title of this thread, I confess I have not taken communion for a very very long time.  Quite frankly, I do not believe I have ever participated in Holy Communion in the true sense of the meaning, and certainly not been privileged to do so since my conversion.  On three ocassions last year, in 2 different church gatherings, by invitation I participated, and immediately regretted and repented.  Both churches were in ecumenical settings with the most deplorable of heretic teachings !  I had out of desperation attended these services, *hoping* to find some meaningful christian fellowship.  Needless to say, I was profoundly disappointed. 

There are numerous scriptures which refer to the sharing of bread and wine as symbolic of the Body of Christ, I mention only one.

1 Corinthians 11v26;
For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

Please might someone advise what to do when completely devoid of and isolated from any True christian fellowship ?

Is it possible to take communion alone ?

Thanking you sincerely in advance,

Alexandra

Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

James Heckman

Re: Taking Communion
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2017, 01:45:34 PM »

I would recommend this article as your first stop.

http://www.reformation21.org/articles/holy-communion.php

Puritan Heart

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2017, 03:39:23 PM »

I would recommend this article as your first stop.

http://www.reformation21.org/articles/holy-communion.php

Hello James,

Thank you kindly for the link.  Although it did not directly answer my question, the book in reference most certainly more than hints at being an interesting read and I rather like the historical content it seems to offer.

Reading quite voraciously and seeing via internet how some of the Reformed ministers preach and offer their sacraments, I cannot help but see so much RC isms in the church ... a tad too theatrical in the attire and church protocols and I get the sense of people *going through the motions* rather than intimately fellowshipping with each other in remembrance of the finished work of the Cross and His coming ...however, I am open to correction for my views.

Thanks again James,

Alexandra

Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Russell Lloyd

• Always Learning
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2017, 08:09:39 PM »
You can have communion with a group of Christian friends in your own house, or with your family at home. Don't forget, most of the early church were just a group of people in houses. They had no church buildings. It's not pomp and circumstance, we do it in remembrance of him.

1 Corinth 11:24-26
"And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come."

With the Lord's instruction we should celebrate communion with other Christians. As we drink the cup and eat the bread, we reflect on Christ's sacrifice and look forward to his return. There is nothing in scripture that says you have to build a church first in order to have communion, the body of Christ is the church.

Alex Rowland

• The PuritanBoard
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2017, 07:52:03 PM »
Russell, that's not the Reformed tradition, nor in line with the Westminster Confession of Faith.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]