[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The 'Unite the Right' Rally in Virginia  (Read 1012 times)

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
The 'Unite the Right' Rally in Virginia
« on: August 13, 2017, 12:20:08 PM »
The "Unite the Right Rally" yesterday in Virginia by by Trump supporters, Racists, Natzi, David Duke, the white supremacists and the alt-right causing 3 people to die is just another example of the fanatical right wing that insists on placing the blame for all their problems upon others. I know many of you want to sweep it under a rug, but I am so glad to hear many Republicans speaking out against it in the strongest Christian terms, while Trump was being so disingenuous and patronizing. If this is what John and Bram call the good Christian right standing up to support the rights of white people, it's a travesty of the words good and Christian. This was a demonstration of unchristian hate pure and simple, and anyone attempting to label it anything but that is delusional. Their words speak for themselves about what they were there in Virginia for. So I want to say right up front, I don't think people supporting the alt-right and these other fanatical right wing groups are Christian at all, they just use the label to mask their true evil intent. And those who associate themselves with them and claim they are not racist, are just as bad.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: The 'Unite the Right' Rally in Virginia
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 12:56:53 PM »
Liberman,

The governor of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, has said that his only message for the alt-right and white supremacists who brought disorder and anarchy to the city of Charlottesville Virginia is to get out and go home. The Virginia Governor did what Trump wouldn't as he publicly condemned white supremacists after violence claimed the lives of three in his state Saturday.

“You are not wanted in this great commonwealth. Shame on you. You pretend that you are patriots, but you are anything but patriots.”

Not at all unlike those who pretend that they are Christianss, but are anything but Christians. Often, one and the same groups  :'(

aquatic

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:54:08 AM »
Propaganda.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 06:14:32 AM »
Propaganda.

Amen to that aquatic !!

"In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way." - Franklin D. Roosevelt
Habakkuk 3: 17 - 19

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 08:25:10 AM »

“You are not wanted in this great commonwealth. Shame on you. You pretend that you are patriots, but you are anything but patriots.”

Not at all unlike those who pretend that they are Christianss, but are anything but Christians. Often, one and the same groups  :'(

:Goodpoint: Reformer. There will always be pretenders. There will always be people dressed in white sheets calling themselves Patriots. There will always be people dressed in suits and going to church calling themselves Christians.

Luke 6:44
"For every tree is known by his own fruit. For of thorns men do not gather figs, nor of a bramble bush gather they grapes."

Just like Judas. He looked like a Christian until he didn't. The hundreds who gathered in uptown Charlotte to 'stand against hate' are more Christian than the alt-right hypocrites and southern politicians who go to church every Sunday.

Matthew 21:31
"Whether of them twain did the will of his father? They say unto him, The first. Jesus saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That the publicans and the harlots go into the kingdom of God before you."

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 11:49:30 AM »
Liberman,
 The governor of Virginia, Terry McAuliffe, has said that his only message for the alt-right and white supremacists who brought disorder and anarchy to the city of Charlottesville Virginia is to get out and go home.

Reformer,
  You, Tony Warren, Dr. Trevor, Kenneth, Diane, Melanie, and Liberman are a core group here who "keep it real" when it comes to authority of the word, true Christianity and the Spirit of Christ. You respect truth rather than partisan groups, and I will always respect that because I know God's grace is upon you all. So many are so blinded by their own political agenda that the word of God becomes meaningless in a real sense. The old "they can't see the forest for the trees" phenomenon. I have fallen into that sin on occasion myself. I know true Christianity is not political, it's personal honesty in a real relationship with God, the Spirit of truth. A personal relationship that gives no quarter to these right wing so called patriot racists nor left wing baby klillers and degenerates. You are a rare breed.
 :God:Bl-U:
  Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 12:50:11 PM »
The "Unite the Right Rally" yesterday in Virginia by by Trump supporters, Racists, Natzi, David Duke, the white supremacists and the alt-right causing 3 people to die is just another example of the fanatical right wing that insists on placing the blame for all their problems upon others. I know many of you want to sweep it under a rug, but I am so glad to hear many Republicans speaking out against it in the strongest Christian terms, while Trump was being so disingenuous and patronizing.

Our President has just a few seconds ago came out with a special news conference and clarified his comments and spoke out against the Natzi and White supremacists. So I hope now all you who have been clamoring for him to do this will now give him the credit that he deserves.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 01:06:26 PM »
The "Unite the Right Rally" yesterday in Virginia by by Trump supporters, Racists, Natzi, David Duke, the white supremacists and the alt-right causing 3 people to die is just another example of the fanatical right wing that insists on placing the blame for all their problems upon others. I know many of you want to sweep it under a rug, but I am so glad to hear many Republicans speaking out against it in the strongest Christian terms, while Trump was being so disingenuous and patronizing.

Our President has just a few seconds ago came out with a special news conference and clarified his comments and spoke out against the Natzi and White supremacists. So I hope now all you who have been clamoring for him to do this will now give him the credit that he deserves.

Of course we give him "due" credit. But I must "also add" that this is what he should have done in the first place, rather than wait for the uproar where members of his own Republican party (not to mention his daughter) put pressure on him to come out and distance himself from these racists who carried Trump banners. David Duke even claimed they are those who elected him President. It should have been automatic that he would reject that without prodding, don't you think? You see, Trump always makes his own problems "and then" he blames fake media.

So, credit for making the statement? Yes, absolutely. Exoneration or absolution of him from blame in creating this issue in the first place? No way.

I think that's fair.

Stan Pat

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:42 PM »
So, credit for making the statement? Yes, absolutely. Exoneration or absolution of him from blame in creating this issue in the first place? No way.

I think that's fair.

:iagree: But you are always fair IMO.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
Propaganda.

Unfortunately, some people don't know the difference between facts and propaganda. Here are many of the "FACTS" from an article that cannot be denied by any honest person.

excerpted:

After the deadly violence involving white supremacists in Charlottesville, Virginia, and Donald Trump’s failure to find the right response, Barack Obama stepped into the void with an assist from South Africa’s first black president, Nelson Mandela: “No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love. For love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

Trump’s tepid response, so stark in contrast to his predecessor’s handling of tragedies such as the Sandy Hook school and Charleston church shootings, is arguably the low point of his short presidency to date. It is likely to dominate journalists’ questions at his next public appearance – originally expected in Washington DC on Monday but now unlikely during his single day in the capital.
Analysis How Trump’s paranoid White House sees ‘deep state’ enemies on all sides
Internal document shows the ‘alt-right’ Steve Bannon wing of the administration’s fervent belief that America is at risk from ‘The Opposition’
Read more

Speaking at his golf club in New Jersey on Saturday after a man rammed a car into protesters, Trump said: “We condemn in the strongest possible terms this egregious display of hatred, bigotry and violence on many sides. On many sides.” The president added defensively: “It’s been going on for a long time in our country. Not Donald Trump, not Barack Obama. This has been going on for a long, long time.”

No mention of racism. No mention of white supremacists. No mention of the Ku Klux Klan. Instead, the repetition of “on many sides”, a characteristic Trump verbal tic used for emphasis. It served merely to emphasise his tin ear and imply moral equivalence between neo-Nazi demonstrators and those who took to the streets to oppose them. There were echoes of some white South African politicians who still occasionally float the notion that colonialism wasn’t all bad.

The Daily Stormer, a neo-Nazi publication, expressed delight: “Trump comments were good. He didn’t attack us. He just said the nation should come together. Nothing specific against us. He said that we need to study why people are so angry, and implied that there was hate … on both sides! So he implied the antifa [anti-fascists] are haters. There was virtually no counter-signaling of us at all.”

Whereas Obama was oblique, the former vice-president Joe Biden punched back directly, tweeting: “There is only one side. #Charlottesville.”

Significantly, Republicans, losing patience with Trump in recent weeks, also berated his failure of leadership. Senator Cory Gardner, chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee, told CNN’s State of the Union: “I think the president needs to step up today and … call it for what it is. It’s evil, it’s white nationalism, it’s bigotry and it’s unacceptable. And if he doesn’t do that, we can continue to answer the question of why. But I believe he has a chance to do that today.”

Senator Orrin Hatch, 83, of Utah, who was eight years old when his brother Jesse, a nose turret gunner in B-24 bomber, was killed in the second world war, tweeted: “We should call evil by its name. My brother didn’t give his life fighting Hitler for Nazi ideas to go unchallenged here at home.”

Senator Marco Rubio, beaten by Trump in the party primaries, tweeted: “Very important for the nation to hear @potus describe events in #Charlottesville for what they are, a terror attack by #whitesupremacists.”

Senator Ted Cruz of Texas, another Republican, called it a “grotesque act of domestic terrorism” and called for a justice department investigation, which is going ahead.

Under growing pressure on Sunday, an unnamed White House spokesperson issued a fresh statement, insisting that the president “condemns all forms of violence, bigotry and hatred, and of course that includes white supremacists, KKK, neo-Nazi and all extremist groups”.

But Trump himself remained unusually silent, in person and on Twitter. And Gabriel Sherman, a journalist at Vanity Fair magazine, tweeted: “When I asked senior WH official why Trump didn’t condemn Cville Nazis, he said: ‘What about the leftist mob. Just as violent if not more so.’”
Advertisement

The stance was shocking but not surprising. Trump’s opinionated statements and policy positions are all over the place, except on two issues: Vladimir Putin and white nationalists. Even as cabinet secretaries and members of Congress condemn and sanction the Russian leader, the president is unfailingly reluctant to criticise him directly.

Even as his daughter Ivanka tweeted condemnation of white supremacists and neo-Nazis on Sunday, the president was, his critics say, committing crimes of omission.

There were similarities with February 2016, when, in an interview on CNN, Trump refused to condemn the Ku Klux Klan or disavow his endorsement by the former Klansman David Duke. He later blamed a faulty earpiece. Duke, in Charlottesville on Saturday, told the USA Today Network: “We’re gonna fulfil the promises of Donald Trump. That’s what we believed in, that’s why we voted for Donald Trump, because he said he’s gonna take our country back.”

Neo-Nazis and the so-called “alt-right” have been a crucial part of the Trump base. Critics have noted the nods, the winks, even the Republican national convention speech, with its giant screens and logos that bordered on fascist parody.

And it goes beyond mere political opportunism. Trump has a track record. In 1973, he and his father were sued by the justice department for racial discrimination because prospective black tenants were blocked from renting in their buildings.

In 1989, after African American and Latino teenagers were accused of assaulting and raping a white woman in Central Park, New York, Trump spent $85,000 to put full-page ads in the four daily newspapers, calling for the revival of the death penalty. The five were later exonerated by DNA evidence, but Trump continued to insist last year: “They admitted they were guilty.”

More recently, Trump was a key proponent of the “birther” movement, questioning whether Obama was born in the US and therefore a legitimate president. He ran a divisive campaign for president that stoked divisions and portrayed inner cities as lost causes. His inaugural address pushed a theme of “American carnage”.
Advertisement

The White House issued a statement to commemorate International Holocaust Remembrance Day that did not mention Jews, Judaism or antisemitism. The former press secretary Sean Spicer was forced to apologise after claiming that Adolf Hitler, who gassed millions of Jews during the Holocaust, did not use chemical weapons.

Trump’s attorney general is Jeff Sessions, who has long been dogged by accusations of racism. His chief strategist is Steve Bannon, who once proudly said of Breitbart News: “We’re the platform for the alt-right.”

Trump’s deputy assistant is Sebastian Gorka, who has worn a medal awarded to the Hungarian group Vitezi Rend, linked by some to Nazi collaborators. Gorka said last week: “It’s this constant, ‘Oh, it’s the white man. It’s the white supremacists. That’s the problem.’ No, it isn’t … go to Sinjar. Go to the Middle East, and tell me what the real problem is today. Go to Manchester.”

A president’s actions and words can only do so much, but they can create a climate in which certain groups, attitudes and mindsets flourish. Trump, 71, will not switch course now, for as Michelle Obama once observed: “Being president doesn’t change who you are. It reveals who you are.”

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2017, 03:50:41 AM »
Propaganda.

Unfortunately, some people don't know the difference between facts and propaganda. Here are many of the "FACTS" from an article that cannot be denied by any honest person.

Keyword, "honest." It can and will be denied by the dishonest who hide behind sheets, words like patriots and the right. A young Christian girl lost her life for standing up against these neo-nazis who were shouting "Hail Trump." There is a reason for that, it's not just some propaganda by the fake news, it's the facts of what happened.

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2017, 03:56:01 AM »
Propaganda.

Amen to that aquatic !!

Amen to what? I would like some clarity?

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2017, 04:32:26 AM »

Of course we give him "due" credit. But I must "also add" that this is what he should have done in the first place, rather than wait for the uproar where members of his own Republican party (not to mention his daughter) put pressure on him to come out and distance himself from these racists who carried Trump banners.

David Duke even claimed they are those who elected him President. It should have been automatic that he would reject that without prodding, don't you think? You see, Trump always makes his own problems "and then" he blames fake media.

I think that's fair.

You're always fair Reformer. Unlike some so-called Christians who have fallen into that "fake news" delusion. In the interest of fairness I would also like to correct something Lieberman said in his quote above. He said "I know many of you want to sweep it under a rug.." I would change that to a few. There aren't "many" here who want to sweep this hatred by the "Unite the Right Rally" people under a rug. I think we could name them on one hand. So that doesn't constitute "many" here.

By the way, another one of these right wing anti-government types that "a few" like to think are patriots was arrested yesterday as he was planning to bomb another building in Oklahoma city in protest of the Federal Government. A 23-year-old Oklahoma man named Jerry Drake Varnell has been arrested after he tried to blow up a building in downtown Oklahoma City using a vehicle bomb similar to the one used by Timothy Mcveigh that destroyed the federal building there in 1995. The man had been plotting the attack for months.

Puritan Heart

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2017, 08:47:20 AM »
Propaganda.

Hello Lieberman,

I read and commence with only the part that I quoted above.  You state your presentation of *FACTS* with rumbuctious fervour, thus my questions to you;

1. How do you personally define *fact* and upon what and whose authority ?

2. Do you personally know the author of the article ?

3. What qualifies you to determine any individuals level of honesty, be he / she christian or non and how do you prove their trustworthiness ?

From what I can gather, as an outsider, the only FACTS that can be gleaned from this deplorable event is;

1. A young woman lost her life.

2. Secularism won the day, showing yet again that a life lived in denial of a Divine Creator leads man to the type of savage behaviour displayed... conduct only mankind is capable of.  Even animals do not express themselves in this manner. 

I will read the remainder of the article from your quoted post once you have answered the simple questions above.

Thanking you in advance,

Alexandra

Puritan Heart

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2017, 09:12:59 AM »
Propaganda.

Amen to that aquatic !!

Amen to what? I would like some clarity?

Hello Laura,

First and foremost, it is obviously apparent that we differ in our observations and understanding of the world around us.

Before I commence, please may I ask that you read my response to Lieberman ... you might want to offer some of your personal insights to some of the questions I posed to him.

Thanking you in advance,

Alexandra

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]