[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Thou Art Weighed in the Balances and Art Found Wanting  (Read 198 times)

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Thou Art Weighed in the Balances and Art Found Wanting
« on: July 25, 2017, 03:54:44 AM »
Greetings in the name of our Lord,

I have been reading Daniel 25:27 where it says "Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting" mean? Specifically, what does this mean? Thank you so much for a beautiful community.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: Thou Art Weighed in the Balances and Art Found Wanting
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2017, 09:41:35 AM »
Hi Jon,
  This language means that when God's justice is applied and the king's actions, and those actions are weighed by God's standards,  the king has failed to meet God's acceptable standard of God fearing behavior, according to what God requires of him. He is found wanting in that regard.

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2017, 12:42:09 PM »

A balance is an old fashioned scale. Originally a scale worked by balancing something against another known weight. So it means the balance was not correct.
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2017, 02:39:04 AM »
>>>
Greetings in the name of our Lord,
<<<

Welcome!

>>>
 I have been reading Daniel 25:27 where it says "Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting" mean? Specifically, what does this mean? Thank you so much for a beautiful community.
<<<

Daniel 5:27
  • "TEKEL; Thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting."

As King Belshazzaf was drinking wine and praising the gods of gold and silver, this writing of the Holy Spirit signified that he was toi come under the judgment of God. The term "weighed in the balances" is illustrative of a measuring or appraisal by God of Him--that he has come up short. The illustration comes from the imagery of a pre medieval scale/balance used for measuring the value or worth of things. You would put a known measure of weight on one side, and what is to be tested by it on the other side, and an equal balance would determine if it measures up. If they are unequal and one is lighter, then whatever you are measuring is lacking or found wanting. Someone who was dishonest would find ways to have the balance uneven while seeming to be equal. God uses this illustration to demonstrate the sins of the king, as balanced against God's righteousness. Measured against God's requirements, this king (and all of us) are found wanting.

Isaiah 64:6
  • "But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away."

God's righteousness balanced by man's righteousness is as an uneven balance. So then, being weighed and found wanting is illustrative of an unjust or uneven balance (Job 31:6) where one side is false or not true against the other. The term "found wanting" is illustrative of one side of the balance being too light (coming up short) or being deficient (wanting) and thus false. It is equivolent to saying, you have been measured and found to be lacking in what is required. So then, thou art weighed in the balances, and art found wanting simply means that he has been tried of God and judged guilty. When measured in the scale against God's word, he came up short and God has numbered his kingdom and finished it. ...even as we all come up short without the mercy of God. Our arrogance, self-righteousness, vanity and carnal nature notwithstanding.

1st Samuel 2:3
  • "Talk no more so exceeding proudly; let not arrogancy come out of your mouth: for the LORD is a God of knowledge, and by him actions are weighed."

Like King Belshazzaf in Daniel, man's actions are weighed in the balances by God, and unless they conform to God's commands on the other side of the scale, they will be found wanting just as King Belshazzaf. Which is a lesson for all mankind, that we should always weigh ourselves not in relationship to the perceived righteousness (or unrighteousness) of others, but in the scale of God's perfection. It is there that we will find that we always are uneven against it and miss the mark. We will never measure up.

Phillipians 3:9
  • "And be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith:"

In recognizing this truth, we have a better appreciation of the great mercy and sacrifice of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ on our behalf. To behold as in the perfect balances of the Lord's word, we see just how far we were from being conformed to His likeness. Thus we rejoice that we who were far off, were brought near.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »
Thank you Tony, Reformer and Pilgrim. I was taken aback by the "found wanting" language, but that makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking time to address this question for me.

Jon Thomas

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2017, 12:37:41 PM »
Can you explain "God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it".

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2017, 01:08:25 PM »
When measured in the scale against God's word, he came up short and God has numbered his kingdom and finished it. ...even as we all come up short without the mercy of God. Our arrogance, self-righteousness, vanity and carnal nature notwithstanding.

Amen Tony

"All the ways of a man are clean in his own eyes; but the LORD weigheth the spirits. Proverbs 16:2"

Without Christ we would all be weighed in the balance and found wanting.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2017, 02:34:08 AM »
>>>
Can you explain "God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it".
<<<

It is related to the other verse--namely that because God has weighed his actions and found them wanting, God has brought his days ruling as king to an end. Actually, all of our days are numbered of God, since God is Omniscient and "Sovereign" to determine the end from the beginning.

Genesis 5:8
  • "And all the days of Seth were nine hundred and twelve years: and he died."

Seth's 912 years were numbered of God, and it was God who finished it that he died. All man's days are numbered before of God because "God is absolutely sovereign" and has preordained each and every one of them. He determines when you are born, when you die, what hairs of your head are black or white, when you rule and when you fall from rule. Thus, when the king's appointed rule was over, that was God finishing his rule or Kingdom.

Daniel 5:26
  • "This is the interpretation of the thing: MENE; God hath numbered thy kingdom, and finished it."

i.e., God has brought that number to completion. This is akin to today's corruption of the phrase by the use of the expression, "your number is up," meaning you had a certain amount of days, and the last number of those days is come.

Both mankind's days on this earth, as well as the days of the rule of one who is a king, are all preordained by God. Seeing as the very hairs of our head are numbered, so are the days of our lives. The days of a Leader, President or a King ruling over a land, and the day that that kingdom is finished or taken away from him, is appointed by God. In other words, all the number of days of a king's rule is in the hands of sovereign God, and He decides when to finish it.

Daniel 2:21
  • "And he changeth the times and the seasons: he removeth kings, and setteth up kings: he giveth wisdom unto the wise, and knowledge to them that know understanding:"

The number of days a king is set up to rule, and then removed from ruling, is totally under control of Sovereign God (Psalms 75:6-7; 1Sa 2:7-8).

So then the language of God saying that this ruler's Kingdom is numbered and God has finished it means that the ruling time set and numbered by God is up and now God has finished or completed it. In other words, the predetermined length of time this king rules in this Kingdom is finished. For whatever reason God brings it to an end is all God's business. It could be as judgment, as a matter of course or simply His sovereign good will to end it.

This verse of Daniel is where people got the expression, "your days are numbered," meaning the number of days God allotted you to live on this earth is finished, or by implication your end is near.

As for this King Belshazzaf, God is simply telling him that his numbered time to rule is up, and his judgment looms nigh.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Bunyan

• Luke 8:24
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2017, 08:24:23 AM »
Without Christ we would all be weighed in the balance and found wanting.

:cLaPpInGg: That is the truth.
"The law says, 'do this,' and it is never done. Grace
says, 'believe in this,' and everything is already done
."
- Martin Luther

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2017, 01:32:39 PM »
A Popular song was written in 1957 about this episode:

Belshazzar - Johnny Cash

Well, the bible tells us about a man
Who ruled Babylon and all its land.
Around the city, he built a wall
And declared that Babylon would never fall.

He had concubines and wives,
He called his Babylon "Paradise."
On his throne he drank and ate,
but for Belshazar it was gettin' late.

For he was weighed in the balance and found wanting,
His kingdom was divided, couldn't stand.
He was weighed in the balance and found wanting,
His houses were built upon the sand.

Well, the people feasted and drank their wine
And praised the false gods of his time.
All holy things they scorned and mocked,
But suddenly all their mocking stopped.
For on the wall, there appeared a hand,
Nothin' else, there was no man.
In blood the hand began to write,
And Belshazar couldn't hide his fright.

For he was weighed in the balance and found wanting,
His kingdom was divided, couldn't stand.
He was weighed in the balance and found wanting,
His houses were built upon the sand.

Well, no one around could understand
What was written by the mystic hand.
Belshazar tried, but couldn't find
A man who could give him peace of mind.
But Daniel, the prophet, a man of God,
He saw the writing on the wall in blood.
Belshazar asked him what it said,
And Daniel turned to the wall and read:

"My friend, you're weighed in the balance and found wanting,
Your kingdom is divided, it can't stand.
You're weighed in the balance and found wanting,
Your houses are built upon the sand." Johnny Cash

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2017, 01:59:47 PM »
A Popular song was written in 1957 about this episode:

A little before my time ;)

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2017, 04:58:38 AM »
A little before my time ;)

Youngsters!

Davis

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2017, 08:19:01 AM »
Seth's 912 years were numbered of God, and it was God who finished it that he died. All man's days are numbered before of God because "God is absolutely sovereign" and has preordained each and every one of them. He determines when you are born, when you die, what hairs of your head are black or white, when you rule and when you fall from rule. Thus, when the king's appointed rule was over, that was God finishing his rule or Kingdom.

Tony, you are correct. I looked up this word numbered and strong's says it means counted or "appointed" so this is right on point. Numbering as in counting the time appointed.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 12:36:41 PM »
Tony, I hate to always be the "only one" challenging your flippant and frivolous statements, but there's nothing in scripture that says God appoints a specific number to judgment. God says his kingdom is numbered. Period. This is mere speculation on your part, which is typical of the non-literal positions of the futurist and Amillennial positions. Sovereignty only goes so far.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 02:38:04 PM »
:Question_: I'm assuming the words Mene, Mene, Tekel and Upharsin mean something related.

Why is Meme written twice?  Or is it?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]