[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why Do People Make Fun of Christians and Religion  (Read 252 times)

Henry

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Why Do People Make Fun of Christians and Religion
« on: June 29, 2017, 04:32:08 AM »
I notice that nearly everywhere I go, young people in particular make fun of Christianity. I see it on TV, it's in the neighborhoods and it's in the liberal psyche to have scorn and contempt for religion. They seem to think Christians are gullible, naive or even stupid to believe in God. I don't understand this. Beside for the obvious answer (Satan) I would like to know why all of a sudden Christians are looked upon with snickers, eye rolls and pity for being foolish? It didn't use to be that way.

Mila Ostrovsky

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Why Do People Make Fun of Christians and Religion
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 01:42:36 PM »
Beside for the obvious answer (Satan)

Is there any other reason? That's why it's obvious.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2017, 02:14:28 PM »
Henry,

It is part of the Great Tribulation when Satan is being loosened from bottomless pit.  Things will continue to get worse and worse in the world, AND THE CHURCH. For a short season til Christ come. It is because God has finished sealing his people and has removed his restraining hand out of the way to use Satan as a tool of judgment upon unfaithful church.  That is why we are witnessing increase of mockery and attacks against Christianity all over the world with full force along with chaos in the world.  We, as "alive and remaining" Elect, are understandable sick of the decline, vexed by the evil (like Lot), mourning for many professed Christians being deceived, but we know that God is still in control and He will come soon. 

Don't get too frustrated about the situations going on against Christianity.  God has warned us about this before so we need to trust Him and contune to do the work He has assigned us to do.  We are only a strangers and pilgrims in this world but we will soon go home where Jesus has prepared rooms for us in His Father's House. 

Blessings.   
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2017, 07:56:08 PM »
>>Why Do People Make Fun of Christians and Religion

Whatever you're afraid of, you fear and ridicule. Remember the Jewish people who were against Christ, ridiculed him. It was because they feared his teachings might catch hold. Whatever people fear, they make fun of. Demagogue do it, racists do it, liberals do it, conservatives do it, atheists do it, the Pharisees did it, because it's a defense mechanism. Those who can't defend their own positions effectively make fun of other's positions.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:57:53 AM »
I take a different perspective and say a lot of the blame for this ridicule of Christianity has to go to Christians themselves, who by their beliefs have made Christianity a laughing stock. When God talks about the decline of his people, does he blame the outside world or does he blame the people themselves? The world isn't making the church a laughing stock, the church itself is.

Today's Christians have so watered down the gospel to conform to the world's ideas of discipline, morality and wisdom that it is unrecognizable as anything but hypocritical and something to deride. They bend over backwards to accept ridiculous views and personal opinions of book authors as legitimate Christianity. Even more, that the clergy and tradition carries special weight over and above the Bible record. To me it seems that they are more trying to get Christians to break free of God's authority, and when that happens then God himself will laugh.

Ps 2:2 The kings of the earth set themselves, and the rulers take counsel together, against the LORD, and against his anointed, saying,
3 Let us break their bands asunder, and cast away their cords from us.
4 He that sitteth in the heavens shall laugh: the Lord shall have them in derision.

Is it no wonder the world laughs when the church is in derision. These modern kings of the earth have managed to make their church teachings completely irrelevant to modern society, and acceptable only when they teach social values and acceptances that are laughable and absurd in the real church. Like Homosexuality, Abortions, Women Priests and liberal philosophies. When we think of ourselves as progressive by accepting sexual immorality, divorce and irresponsibility, what we do is make the church nothing more than a hippie commune without the Kumbaya, colorful clothes and long hair. Shall He that sitteth in the heavens not laugh?

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 09:50:50 AM »

The media and our education system for one thing. They always try and make Christianity appear hypocritical by highlighting some preacher who is stealing, cheating on his wife or showing how the bible is supposedly contradictory or some fool with a gun at an abortion clinic or some racist Christian ranting about the good ole days. They make it "seem" like this is the typical Christian or ideology. Or that religion itself, not just Islam, is usually at the root of all the problems in the world. Kids are bombarded with that picture of Christians night and day and that leads to this cynicism and mocking.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]