[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What is Good Christian Stewardship  (Read 329 times)

Johnny

• Obviously I'm a Novice
What is Good Christian Stewardship
« on: June 18, 2017, 04:48:49 PM »
Hello fellow Believers,

I feel like I spend too much time, energy and resources on my wife and family and not enough on our Lord and the gospel. My question is, does this mean I am actually neglecting my stewardship, or even that I might not actually be saved? My Pastor says no because my first Christian responsibility is to my family, but I wanted to get other opinions if this is correct. I do feel guilty sometimes, so this is why I ask.

aquatic

Re: What is Good Christian Stewardship
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2017, 06:08:25 PM »
1 Timothy 5:8 But if any provide not for his own, and specially for those of his own house, he hath denied the faith, and is worse than an infidel.

1 Cor 7: 32 But I would have you without carefulness. He that is unmarried careth for the things that belong to the Lord, how he may please the Lord: 33But he that is married careth for the things that are of the world, how he may please his wife.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2017, 06:57:16 PM »
See my Father's day message on responsibility and being a watchman

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=2805.msg37852;topicseen#msg37852

Father'say really should be a day to appreciate and be anexample of our Heavenly Father

Kevin Wright

• Always Reforming
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2017, 04:54:53 AM »
My question is, does this mean I am actually neglecting my stewardship, or even that I might not actually be saved? My Pastor says no because my first Christian responsibility is to my family

I'm sorry but your Pastor is obviously wrong. Your first responsibility is to God, your family is second. Don't listen to your Pastor or to your friends, listen to God.

Matthew 10:37
"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me".

Your first responsibility is to God, not family. Christ emphasizes it by saying if you love your family more than him, you are not worthy of him.  If you want to go bury your father before you go follow him, don't bother following him.  Of course God wants you to take care of your family, just as the scripture aquatic gave shows, but take care of your responsibility to God first.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:50 AM »
I'm sorry but your Pastor is obviously wrong. Your first responsibility is to God, your family is second. Don't listen to your Pastor or to your friends, listen to God.

Matthew 10:37
"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me".

Your first responsibility is to God, not family. Christ emphasizes it by saying if you love your family more than him, you are not worthy of him.  If you want to go bury your father before you go follow him, don't bother following him.  Of course God wants you to take care of your family, just as the scripture aquatic gave shows, but take care of your responsibility to God first.

:God:Bl-U:  :amen:

Re 2:4
Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.

You say you are felling guilty, that might be your first clue. Whatsoever is not of faith is sin.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 01:01:20 AM »
Hello fellow Believers,
 My Pastor says no because my first Christian responsibility is to my family, but I wanted to get other opinions if this is correct.

You must provide for your family, but you have to put God first. Providing for your family doesn't mean getting them the latest iPhone, trips to Hawaii, $300 sneakers, and a brand new car for graduation. This is what most Christians seem to think is providing for their family, and that's why they don't have anything left for the Lord's work. Including stamina because they work so hard getting all those things they claim they need for the family. There is a difference between want and need. All I can tell you is, put God first, and the rest falls into place.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]