[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Reserved for Myself Seven Thousand - Elijah's Ministry  (Read 281 times)

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
Reserved for Myself Seven Thousand - Elijah's Ministry
« on: May 11, 2017, 04:37:47 PM »

After Elijah had 850 false prophets eliminated upon Mount Carmel, he fled to Mount Sinai to seek God for help.  Elijah told God that he thought he was the only prophet left in Israel. God corrected him that He still have 7,000 who have not worship or kiss Baal:

1Ki 19:16-18
[16]  And Jehu the son of Nimshi shalt thou anoint to be king over Israel: and Elisha the son of Shaphat of Abelmeholah shalt thou anoint to be prophet in thy room.
[17]  And it shall come to pass, that him that escapeth the sword of Hazael shall Jehu slay: and him that escapeth from the sword of Jehu shall Elisha slay.
[18] Yet I have left me seven thousand in Israel, all the knees which have not bowed unto Baal, and every mouth which hath not kissed him.

Rom 11:1-5
[1]  I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin.
[2]  God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew. Wot ye not what the scripture saith of Elias? how he maketh intercession to God against Israel, saying,
[3]  Lord, they have killed thy prophets, and digged down thine altars; and I am left alone, and they seek my life.
[4]  But what saith the answer of God unto him? I have reserved to myself seven thousand men, who have not bowed the knee to the image of Baal.
[5]  Even so then at this present time also there is a remnant according to the election of grace.

I had a debate with someone who insisted that God is talking about literal 7,000 Jews in Israel who served Him at that time.  I disagreed because I believe that God is talking about His whole house of Israel with the number seven thousand signifying the totality and fullness of the spiritual children of Israel according to Election.  Who is right?

I wondered if Elijah actually misunderstood, thinking God was talking about 7,000 men and women in Israel but God talked about a bigger picture about His covenant Israel that ministry of Elijah have an impact on.   

Thoughts?
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Herman Stowe

• SBC
Re: Reserved for Myself Seven Thousand - Elijah's Ministry
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2017, 08:46:40 PM »
Erik. I think both of you are right. I think God did literally have seven thousand that had not bowed the knee to Baal. But I also think that God ordained the number seven thousand to illustrate the complete Israel of God would be the faithful remnant. The number seven thousand (7 X 1000) spiritually signifies completeness.

Trevor

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 04:46:47 AM »

I agree that the ‘corporate’ principle is represented in the number 7000, but that doesn't mean that there were not actually 7000 literal believers there in the time of Elijah. Just as in the example of Christ taking 7 loaves and with it feeding 4000. The number 7 has a spiritual connotation of completeness, but it was also a literal number of 7 loaves.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

James Heckman

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2017, 07:10:39 AM »
I had a debate with someone who insisted that God is talking about literal 7,000 Jews in Israel who served Him at that time. 

Of course. That's because God said there were 7000 that had not bowed the knee.

I disagreed because I believe that God is talking about His whole house of Israel with the number seven thousand signifying the totality and fullness of the spiritual children of Israel according to Election.  Who is right?

He is right. Because the whole house of Israel were not faithful at the time, only 7000 were. Whether the number 7000 has spiritual significance or not, I do not know. Some theologians say yes, some say no. But I know there were 7000 of Israel at the time that were Godly and spiritual.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]