[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The Decline of Christianity  (Read 5135 times)

Laura Tomlinson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: The Decline of Christianity
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2016, 04:23:24 AM »
I've been reading this thread and I'd like to add my little bit since there is this ludicrous idea by some that the church isn't in decline. By others (mostly Republican politicians) that it is in decline but it's because of liberals and the media. I would agree that Christianity is in decline, but not for the reasons that right wing Republicans scapegoat (Jews, Muslims, the media, gays, Democrats, the ACLU, liberals and atheists), but because the people calling themselves Christians have changed in that they don't really parent the old fashioned way anymore. Parents don't educate or train their children in faithful Christianity. They refuse to train them up in the ways of old or teach them strict Christian morals anymore. They believe that is old fashioned and so they allow the children to watch all sorts of TV, associate with the wrong people, go to immoral events, do immoral things, and then they spoil them with everything their heart desires instead of teaching them a work ethic. And then when the kids go wrong, they blame it on TV (that they let them watch) and liberals. They wonder what's happening to the kids today. Well, they are what's happening to the next generation, just as their liberal parents are what's allowed them to stray away from a strict upbringing. They've broken away from age old methods of raising kids to accept new modern methods that strip away discipline, attendance  and strict order and duty from the equation.

Proverbs 22:6
"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."

Don't give me that old "I know a parent that did that and the kid was still immoral" line, God put this into scripture because it's a truism. Of course there are some exceptions, but this is God's general rule that parents have lone gone away from because they feel they are too strict. The changes taking place in the church are because well meaning Christians allowed these worldly ideas to infiltrate it and  spoil it. It's like contamination. The big thing with Christians today is not moral education but secular education (college degrees), freedom to so-called "be themselves" and the training of MTV, Disney and the latest rock stars and teen movies. Is it any wonder that the children that are growing up are not replacing the Godly Christians who went before? The sexual revolution (including feminism and homosexual equality) did not remain in the world, we brought it into our churches under the name of love. So of course Christianity is declining. Liberals and the media didn't do it, we did it to ourselves. It's like the Republican party blaming liberals for Trump making idiotic comments, that's what I see in conservatives blaming the liberals and the media for a decline in Christianity.

Banning of prayer in public school didn't create a decline in churches, what was happening in churches created the decline. Public school is not a church, nor a place to train your children, that should have been done at home, and it wasn't. Like Trump, it's so easy to blame everyone else for problems we've created ourselves. the allowance of same-sex marriage came because of a great moral decay, not because there are liberals in the world. There has always been liberals in the world, but we outnumbered them because the church taught faithfully and that held evil back. No way the things that are routinely done today could have been done 50 years ago. Not because there were no liberals, but because the majority of the country had and taught morals. Now Christians not only allow their children sexual promiscuity, they freely say they allow it because they're going to do it anyway. What kind of christian teaching is that? So I don't want to hear how it's the liberals and politicians fault the church is in decline, it's the church's fault.  The Pew report noted that Americans are also changing religions much more than in the past, and when they do so, they are more likely to move away from Christianity than toward it. That's not a failure of liberals and media, that's a failure of the church, its non-evangelism and Christians.

Just my two cents for what it's worth.

Joanne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2016, 07:19:09 AM »
Joe, like Tony said, if you don't understand why Satan was bound, then you're never going to understand why or when he is loosed. If he was bound to keep the nations from attacking the nation of Israel, then he mst have been bound with sewing thread because Israel was destroyed by the nations not long after Christ went to the cross.

:Goodpoint:  :cLaPpInGg: And I'm sorry to say, most Christians don't have a clue why Satan was bound, much less when, how or who looses him. That's the sad truth. Is that the reason why they don't see the obvious decline of Christianity? Perhaps, at the very least it adds to their confusion.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 09:07:54 AM »
Reformer,
  Am I to assume from this that you believe Satan is already loosed and is casting some of the church into prison that the body is being tried? Is that what you are saying?

Yes. God often uses the term Prison to describe the spiritual captivity of those ruled by Satan. Some examples are Isaiah 42:7,  Isaiah 61:1-2, Luke 4:18-19, 1 Peter 3:19. The church is tested by the unfaithful who have been brought into the prison house of Satan. In our day worldwide it has failed this test miserably.

You believe that this decline is because Satan is loose?

Yes. Not just a decline, but a historical world wide decline, apostasy in all nations, Europe, US, Canada, Scotland, South Africa, everywhere.

If so, my question is why are the nations not gathered together against Israel?

The camp of the saints is the congregation of spiritual Jews, not the nation Israel in the middle east. The nations of Revelation 20 are spiritual gentiles whom Satan has been loosed to bring to the camp of the saints to try them. Don't confuse Revelation 20 talking about the camp of the saints with the nation of Israel in the middle east as the Dispensationalists do. The saints of the New Testament are those of the church, not those of the nation of Israel.

Bruno Kolberg

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
As well as a worldwide decline in faithful Christianity, there’s an increase in persecution today that is generally ignored by western media outlets. The following newspaper article talks about this:

www.redatedkings.com/download/Persecution.pdf

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2016, 01:58:06 AM »
Agreed, I don't see how anyone can fix their mouths to say there is no decline. It seems so obvious to me. The only question I have is if it is self inflicted or mainly a product of outside forces. I'm still working on that part. Maybe it's a combination of both?

Brian

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2016, 10:17:54 PM »

Wayne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2016, 04:12:38 AM »
That just goes to show. I didn't even know there were Christians in North Korea. Isn't that a closed state? How do they know all this? Or is it just rumor?

Daisy

• Daisy means day's eye in innocent happiness.
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2016, 02:06:42 AM »

A really Interesting Article

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/britain-really-is-ceasing-to-be-a-christian-country/

Great Britain is worse than we are.

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2016, 09:26:20 PM »
Luke 11:25 And when he cometh, he findeth it swept and garnished.
  26 Then goeth he, and taketh to him seven other spirits more wicked than himself; and they enter in, and dwell there: and the last state of that man is worse than the first.

Man is sweeping clean of God's law and receiving a new law seven times worse.

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2016, 01:58:39 AM »

A really Interesting Article

http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/05/britain-really-is-ceasing-to-be-a-christian-country/

Great Britain is worse than we are.

Daisy,
    And also that grapth that says at this rate by 2067 the'll be no Christians left on earth is actually misleading because in that study they counted everyone who "claims" to be Christian as Christian. The truth is, only about 10 percent (at best) of professing Christians really qualify as Christian according to God's definition.

Terrell Meyer

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2016, 06:36:36 AM »
    And also that grapth that says at this rate by 2067 the'll be no Christians left on earth is actually misleading because in that study they counted everyone who "claims" to be Christian as Christian. The truth is, only about 10 percent (at best) of professing Christians really qualify as Christian according to God's definition.

I am inclined to agree, except I think it is probably more like 20 percent of Christians are real rather than 10. I guess I'm a little more charitable than you. I agree with your overall point though, that most Christians aren't Christians. You know like Trump, Hillary, Miley Cirus, Pope Francis, Pat Robertson, David Duke, Etc.,Etc.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2016, 09:14:09 AM »

"And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth? Luke 18:7-8"

These verses say it all. When Christ returns, there won't be a lot of faith on earth, there will be his people crying to him to avenge them of those who have persecuted them and silenced their testimony.

Joe Johnson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2017, 02:55:45 AM »
 :Say_what: I've never seen any group so negative about the church as I read here. And this has been going on for years. Say what you will. God's church will never fall, never be moved and never die. Maybe if you started going to church you might not be so jaded against it.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2017, 03:41:37 AM »
:Say_what: I've never seen any group so negative about the church as I read here.

Is it with good reason? I mean don't shoot the messenger. The church is a shell of its former self.

God's church will never fall, never be moved and never die.

Israel, as God's former congregation, said the same thing. What does that say to you? God's people are rebellious, that's been the history of his congregation. And when it is, God says it falls. Remember what God said to the church at Ephesus. That goes for every church.

Re 2:5 Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestick out of his place, except thou repent.

Maybe if you started going to church you might not be so jaded against it.

Which church. Show me a faithful one within 20 miles of me and I will go.

Oneil

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 07:26:01 AM »
God's church will never fall, never be moved and never die.

There are two churches. One can fall, one can't. Did you read Reformer's post. The church in Ephesus fell. So obviously your statement is untrue. God's church can fall. The church in Ephesus was God's church, but it fell, never to rise again.

Maybe if you started going to church you might not be so jaded against it.

II Cor. 6:17
"Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,"

I'm looking. When I find one that is not unclean, I will attend. But until then, I'm out!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]