[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Thorn in the flesh  (Read 1453 times)

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Thorn in the flesh
« on: October 12, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »

lpowell

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Thorn in the flesh
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 07:08:12 AM »
Lauren, I'm impressed in your recognition of another important topic.  And the use of variety in media of presentation.  And yes, I believe that there is something deeper in the reason for the silence in sharing when questions are really beginning to overwhelm us.
  I'll reveal my age by saying that I had to ask my daughter what Sponge Bob stands for.  She said it is superficiality, avoiding reality, mocking.  As Tony has detailed in his article ( http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/bible/the_thorn_in_the_flesh.html ),  that is exactly how the majority wants to understand the thorn.  That it is just his eyesight or some other simply physical ailment.  Satan would desire to have us believe that he is a distant, easily recognizable Halloween character bringing outward evil we can easily identify and avoid.
  Something that Tony alluded to is emphasized in this cartoon.  This messenger of the flesh has a primary goal of blocking the opening of the Gospel of Christ grace to the world.  And so we have to ask the question... Why is God releasing Satan to do this throughout the world today?  If we are approaching the end of the age, do we need to take special notice of our tendency to avoid the harsh work of Christ judging us to reveal Himself?

Matthew 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Lloyd                p.s.  this thread belongs in a higher category than just humor

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 10:56:22 AM »
You definitely won't get this if you don't know Sponge Bob  :P

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 07:21:01 AM »

Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

http://kite.ois.net.au/~jvd/Sermons/2Cor12,7-10.htm

by Rev C Bouwman

One of my favorite teacheers.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 02:04:34 PM »

Paul's Thorn in the Flesh

http://kite.ois.net.au/~jvd/Sermons/2Cor12,7-10.htm

by Rev C Bouwman

One of my favorite teacheers.

He's good. I like his writings also. In fact, I like most of the Preachers from the Free Reformed Church there and also the Free Church of Scotland. Would we had those type preachers here. Good old fashioned unadulterated truth direct from scriptures.

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 04:40:26 PM »
What church does Rev. Bouwman pastor at? Where can I find his articles/sermons? Is Free Church of Scotland connects with the PRCA?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 09:16:32 PM »
What church does Rev. Bouwman pastor at? Where can I find his articles/sermons? Is Free Church of Scotland connects with the PRCA?

The Rev Clarence Bouwman used to be pastor at the Free Reformed Church of Kelmscott and of  Byford, Western Australia, and Chilliwack, B.C. as well as Yarrow, B.C. I do believe that he now is the minister of Smithville Canadian Reformed Church.

The Free Church of Scotland has never been connected with the PRCA. It was a church formed by Christians who broke away from the Church of Scotland in 1843 protesting against the state's encroachment on the independence of the Church.

As for where you can find his articles or sermons, you can google him, or I've read many of his articles on Tony's search linked below.

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/searchit/searchit.cgi?C.%20Bouwman

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2015, 01:01:48 AM »
Thanks!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]