[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why are there so few Christians in Japan?  (Read 9616 times)

Maurice

Re: Why are there so few Christians in Japan?
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2015, 05:09:34 AM »

:Fighting:  I sense a lot of hostility here against Japan. Is it because they aren't so easily led about the nose by western religion? Japan is basically a closed society, and they are becoming more and more jaded and brought into the western depravity and degeneration  through the internet and TV. I don't blame them for trying to keep their culture pure without western religion, crime and selfishness. Japan is simply not a melting pot, and that's for the good.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2015, 11:43:19 AM »
I sense a lot of hostility here against Japan. Is it because they aren't so easily led about the nose by western religion? Japan is basically a closed society, and they are becoming more and more jaded and brought into the western depravity and degeneration  through the internet and TV. I don't blame them for trying to keep their culture pure without western religion, crime and selfishness. Japan is simply not a melting pot, and that's for the good.

You are one confused troll. Obviously you did not listen to what Tony explained with Scripture.  You offer NO SCRIPTURE REFUTE whatsoever.  All you care about is Japanese "culture" and "society".  Aren't you suppose to be more concerned about saving their souls from hell by witnessing with True Gospel, not to be confused with so called "western religion."  Gospel can overcome ANY nation, ANY culture, ANY closed society, and ANY government and laws to win souls, didn't you realize this?
|
Mat 16:18
(18)  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Rev 6:2
(2)  And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow; and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

Do you understand these verses?

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Maurice

« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2015, 05:46:24 PM »
All you care about is Japanese "culture" and "society".  Aren't you suppose to be more concerned about saving their souls from hell by witnessing with True Gospel
Erik

It's not for me to be concerned, obviously they are concerned about their culture and society, and that's why they don't listen to your Christian attempts to indoctrinate them with foreign beliefs. How is that a bad thing? Clearly, you are not defending your religion well enough for them to accept it over their culture. They're smart people, they've considered Christianity and obviously found it wanting.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #33 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:57 PM »
They're smart people, they've considered Christianity and obviously found it wanting.

Really, sorry to disappoint you, but God did take some people out of Japan for Himself already as he did with every nation on whole earth wherever Gospel went.   :peace:

Mat 16:18
(18)  And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

Isa 52:9-10
(9)  Break forth into joy, sing together, ye waste places of Jerusalem: for the LORD hath comforted his people, he hath redeemed Jerusalem.
(10)  The LORD hath made bare his holy arm in the eyes of all the nations; and all the ends of the earth shall see the salvation of our God.

Act 13:47
(47)  For so hath the Lord commanded us, saying, I have set thee to be a light of the Gentiles, that thou shouldest be for salvation unto the ends of the earth.

Not even culture stop God.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2015, 09:37:26 AM »

:Fighting:  I sense a lot of hostility here against Japan. Is it because they aren't so easily led about the nose by western religion? Japan is basically a closed society

That's the only thing you've said that has a grain of truth to it. They do in one sense tend to not have an open mind because they take far too much pride in Japanese culture and beliefs.  A lot more than other countries, and that is to the exclusion of other people and their religions. They are not really open to religions like Christianity. I know because I was stationed there for a while. That attitude happens to be a bad thing as far as Christianity goes because their beliefs are pagan and against Christian doctrines.

I think it is mostly due to the fact that Christianity represents an "outside influence" that Japanese (more than any other society) has a problem with. The fact is, Japan is unquestionably one of the least ethnically diverse countries in the world, with 98 percent of the population being Japanese nationals. 98 percent is a lot! To put it simply (despite what fans want to believe), in general they don't take to outsiders. When I was stationed there, some of them were friendly and some were not. Now before anyone jumps all over me, I know that it is a generalization, but also obviously true in some respects. Many still hate Americans because of the war and others just plain think Christianity is a foreign religion that would somehow make them less Japanese or even something they are not. I don't want to equate it with the attitudes of Nazi Germany, but to a large degree they do that that same sense of purity of race, culture and society. Their distaste for Christianity is part and parcel of their narcissism and self-perpetuated myth of homogeneity.

James 4:6
  "But he giveth more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resisteth the proud, but giveth grace unto the humble."

Is it any wonder then that God resists them so that they are one of the countries with the least Christian converts? Someone here said that they are full of themselves, and that just about covers the reason why they reject Christianity. They look at it as somewhat of an attack on their culture. To their own peril I might add.

Acts 4:12
   "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2015, 09:29:39 AM »
The fact is, Japan is unquestionably one of the least ethnically diverse countries in the world, with 98 percent of the population being Japanese nationals. 98 percent is a lot! To put it simply (despite what fans want to believe), in general they don't take to outsiders.

others just plain think Christianity is a foreign religion that would somehow make them less Japanese or even something they are not. I don't want to equate it with the attitudes of Nazi Germany, but to a large degree they do that that same sense of purity of race, culture and society. Their distaste for Christianity is part and parcel of their narcissism and self-perpetuated myth of homogeneity.

[Soapbox mode on]
Interesting, and sadly, everything you've said about Japan is true. It even showed up in the recent selection of the Japanese selection for miss Universe. She's been ostracized in her own country for not being Japanese enough, even though she was born in Japan, of a Japanese woman, was raised up in (and lives in) Japan, but has an American father. The Japanese are very aware of their culture and seem to have this need to glory in their past, their spiritualism and also in themselves.

http://kfor.com/2015/03/24/miss-universe-japan-facing-backlash-for-not-being-japanese-enough/

However, you can also see some changes (slow as they may be) as more of the young accept foreigners and even tolerate other religions like Christianity. Still, for the most part trying to get them to listen to a Christian view of God is like trying to convert a Catholic. It's hard!

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2015, 07:25:24 AM »
I just finished watching a program called "Christmas in Tokyo" on the American TV Japanese station. Why do the Japanese celebrate Christmas if they don't believe in Christ?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2015, 07:53:54 AM »
I just finished watching a program called "Christmas in Tokyo" on the American TV Japanese station. Why do the Japanese celebrate Christmas if they don't believe in Christ?

The same way Americans celebrate Christmas and don't believe in Christ. No mystery there! It's just a holiday for them, a time to exchange presents, eat and drink and decorate their house. Christ has been long ago taken out of the celebration of his birth.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2016, 10:29:55 AM »
Why are there so few Christians in Japan?

Look it up. There are eight million deities in Japan. 8 million! Does that answer your question? Everything (according to them) from mountains to trees to rice has a spirit, and to claim one Spirit being is like sacrilege to them. That's their tradition and they cling to tradition like cellophane wrap clings to itself. You want to be a missionary, go to China.

James Heckman

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2016, 10:34:39 PM »

Look it up. There are eight million deities in Japan. 8 million! Does that answer your question? Everything (according to them) from mountains to trees to rice has a spirit, and to claim one Spirit being is like sacrilege to them. That's their tradition and they cling to tradition like cellophane wrap clings to itself. You want to be a missionary, go to China.

:laugh: L O L

That's just wrong! ;)

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2016, 07:53:00 PM »
I was in Japan for a while and found that Japan is really a beautiful but strange country. For example, they don't really show a lot of affection, and Japanese men and women hardly ever kiss at all. And never in public (not that this is a bad thing). I was shocked to learn that most (like almost all) Japanese married couples only kiss about once a month and many much longer. I'm like, "how is that even possible?" And the wives put their husbands on an allowance system called okozukai  (I think).  The man has no say in it. And they worship cats as great spirits, or at least most do. I don't really find it any more strange that they have an aversion to Christianity or any other single god religion for that matter. I do wonder why in the old days missionaries didn't really try that hard to evangelize in Japan.  Godly providence or Christian neglect? Or maybe both.

Chloe

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2016, 06:03:49 AM »
I was in Japan for a while and found that Japan is really a beautiful but strange country. For example, they don't really show a lot of affection, and Japanese men and women hardly ever kiss at all. And never in public (not that this is a bad thing). I was shocked to learn that most (like almost all) Japanese married couples only kiss about once a month and many much longer. I'm like, "how is that even possible?"

I actually saw a program on this same subject on the Japanese American TV Network (NHK) and I haven't closed my mouth since :)

I guess it all depends on how you were raised or brought up in your family. I think that determines what we will think is strange or unnatural. Because the program demonstrated that to them, this is normal behavior.  What I found interesting is that American men who had married Japanese wives, had to conform to this practice, rather than the other way around. Some things can't be explained pother than it's custom and institution. Or we can look at it this way. They probably think it strange that the rest of the world's husbands and wives kiss every time they are affectionate or say goodbye, or when they come home from work, etc.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #42 on: April 15, 2016, 09:30:32 PM »
News alert, and yet another deadly earthquake in Japan today. Still think it's all coincidence? Still think eight million deities in Japan doesn't move God? I thought you guys preach that God is sovereign? If he is, then he caused it didn't he? Or am I wrong?

Pearson

• Conformed by the Blood
« Reply #43 on: June 15, 2016, 04:51:03 AM »
News alert, and yet another deadly earthquake in Japan today. Still think it's all coincidence?

[Soapbox mode on]
Nothings coincidence, but nor is it because God thinks Japan is so much worse than Egypt, China or the Neitherlands.

Still think eight million deities in Japan doesn't move God? I thought you guys preach that God is sovereign? If he is, then he caused it didn't he? Or am I wrong?

Sin caused it, God allowed it, man is responsible for it by the curse that has come upon the earth from the fall.

Just My two cents

[Soapbox mode off]

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2016, 05:02:13 AM »

Just because there are not a lot of Christians in Japan is not reason to neglect Japan. Isn't it more of a reason to go to Japan to teach? I would think so.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]