[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Strange Web Script  (Read 2042 times)

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Strange Web Script
« on: August 11, 2014, 05:10:45 AM »
I think I may have a virus on one of my sites, but I can't find the code. If I view my source online I see a reference to a script that I never put on my page. Here is the script.

<script src=”http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js”></script>

I'm thinking it must be some sort of virus, because I didn't put it there. But when I go to edit my page, I can't find it. Help!

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Strange Web Script
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 07:09:11 AM »

That doesn't look good. It's probably a hacker attack on your site.  1.2.3.4.? What kind of IP is that?

gordonh

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 12:58:27 PM »
If you are using 3G? It is something your provider is adding to save time compressing images and speeding downloads.

Doesn't look like malware but is really not too cool of them.   If you search there are ways to avoid it.

yaboo

• I'm a Lamma
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 02:51:05 PM »
You might have been infected with some rogue java malware file. If you don't make your page read only, some hackers can insert code. You might need to run a virus scan in order to get rid of it.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 12:37:08 AM »

But he already said it's not showing up on his page. He said that when he goes to edit his page, it's not there.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 05:42:29 AM »
>>>
I think I may have a virus on one of my sites, but I can't find the code. If I view my source online I see a reference to a script that I never put on my page. Here is the script.

<script src=”http://1.2.3.4/bmi-int-js/bmi.js”></script>

I'm thinking it must be some sort of virus, because I didn't put it there. But when I go to edit my page, I can't find it. Help!
<<<

Gordonh is correct. It's not a virus or malware (technically), it's javascript that has been injected in data before it reaches your browser by your broadband wireless provider. Are you using something like Cricket? They use a type of web accelerator injected on the fly, and that's why you can't see it when you try to edit your page. It's not really on your page, but added to data when it is read and then fed to your browser as a type of data compression scheme in an effort to compress, reduce or cache images to lower data transfer. If you place your cursor over an image, you might read something like "Shift+R improves quality of image." They are attempting to reduce bandwidth, but it's at the possible expense of image quality. The fact that they usually don't tell you they're adding this, and that it sometimes ruins your css or the way a page is displayed is also not so cool. But anyway, that's basically what it is.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:17:16 AM »
Really? Wow! Thanks Gordon and Tony for that information. That really scared me as I thought it was trying to hijack my passwords or copy my keystrokes or something. That's a load off my mind.

Is there any way to stop them from doing that or am I stuck with it?

Soldier

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 10:42:41 PM »

Change service providers?

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 10:27:59 AM »
>>>
Is there any way to stop them from doing that or am I stuck with it?
<<<

Here's some info that might be helpful on how to disable.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4113268/how-to-stop-javascript-injection-from-vodafone-proxy

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Curtis

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 08:02:37 PM »
Thank you again Gordon and Tony

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]