[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Are Blue Ray Vs. DVD players Slower?  (Read 3146 times)

Jesse

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Are Blue Ray Vs. DVD players Slower?
« on: December 26, 2013, 01:45:16 PM »
Howdy,
  I got a new Blueray player for Christmas and compared to my DVD player, it seems really slow to load movies. Is this normal, or did I just get a bad or substandard player. Thanks for your help.

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
Re: Are Blue Ray Vs. DVD players Slower?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:43:26 PM »
I would think that a new blueray player would be faster than an old DVD player, but I really couldn't tell you for sure. I'd take it back for a replacement and see if that works better.

NoMass

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 04:45:26 PM »
You probably received a bad (cheap) player from china for a X-mas gift. I would sell the thing on Craig's list and get another.

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 06:42:06 AM »
Howdy,
  I got a new Blueray player for Christmas and compared to my DVD player, it seems really slow to load movies. Is this normal, or did I just get a bad or substandard player. Thanks for your help.

I've had mine for a while, but I noticed that too. I think Bluray just might be slower to load than a DVD player because the disk holds so much more information.
K I R A 

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2013, 11:35:07 AM »
Actually, I hear most blue ray players are much slower than your DVD player. They say that it's mainly because of all the java and BD copy protection stuff that needs to load and run.

Russell Lloyd

• Always Learning
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2013, 11:39:53 AM »
You probably received a bad (cheap) player from china for a X-mas gift. I would sell the thing on Craig's list and get another.

Ok so which is it? Bad or cheap? Because it wouldn't be real Christian to sell a defective player to some other unsuspecting person?  If it's defective, it should be returned to the manufacturer.

gordonh

« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2013, 12:15:15 PM »
Perhaps neither - you didn't mention what your load times were.  As Reformer said, blueray players load slowly because of the processing involved - a minute or more depending on the movie.  If yours has BD-Live you may be able to turn it off to get a bit better load time.

Arnold

• The Spirit is willing, but the Flesh is weak.
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 06:36:04 PM »
Some of the newer and more expensive Blueray models are faster, but I don't know any that are near DVD speed for start-up.

Robert Powell

• "fruit of the righteous, a tree of Life" Pr 11:30
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 05:18:15 PM »
The truth is, very few Blu-Ray players today will ever be as fast loading as your old DVD player because of all the Java-based stuff. But having said that, there are actually some models that load pretty fast. Blu-Ray players have gotten much better in the last few years. They load discs much faster. The best I know of is the Oppo (and its price shows it), followed by the Sony PlayStation 3 (yes 3 not 4) which is super fast with its multi core super CPU, the LG BP730 and the Panasonic DMP-BDT230. You can also help the speed of loading by making sure your firmware is upgraded. Even a newly bought Blue-Ray player probably has out of date firmware, so you should check.

Brian

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 07:03:51 AM »
Howdy,

Yes, they do load slower. Put a DVD into the player. It should load fast like any other player. But when you put a blueray disk in, it will take longer to load because of all the information and java. The cost of progress :) There's always a downside to every upside.

Simon

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »

Don't get a Samsung is all I can say. Just a word to the wise.

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2014, 12:05:39 PM »
You're getting bad information. The answer is yes, all Bluray players are slower than DVD players. Because there is a ton of more information that is loaded. If you have a bluray player that runs faster than your DVD player, then there's definitely something wrong with your DVD player.

Peter

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »
You're getting bad information. The answer is yes, all Bluray players are slower than DVD players. Because there is a ton of more information that is loaded. If you have a bluray player that runs faster than your DVD player, then there's definitely something wrong with your DVD player.

L O L  :iagree:

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2015, 01:31:54 AM »
>>Are Blue Ray Vs. DVD players Slower?

Yes! I know, Duh!

There's always a trade off with what the world calls progress. Nothing gets better without making other things worse. In life this is true also. You get more money and you're more miserable than you were when you were poor. It's God's checks and balances. The Western societies thinks it has made progress with their electronic gadgets, aluminum cars, two spouses working outside the home, removal of disciple, nation building, normalizing homosexuality,  industrializing and so on and so forth, and all they've really done was make things worse. It's a trade off. More bulk gives you more power but less speed. More speed gives you quickness, but without power. A bluray gives you better picture quality, but that results in longer wait times to load. Lessons of life, there is a balance of give and take.
  Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

Walt Lee

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2015, 04:53:57 AM »
 :word:

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]