[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why are Muslim Women so much more Modest than Christian Women?  (Read 10172 times)

Jeff

• I'm a llama!
Re: Why are Muslim Women so much more Modest than Christian Women?
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2015, 02:01:11 AM »
A lot of people here write as if this statement is a given. I don't accept the premise that muslim women are more modest than Christian women. There's no proof of that.

Betty

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #31 on: March 22, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
A lot of people here write as if this statement is a given. I don't accept the premise that muslim women are more modest than Christian women. There's no proof of that.

:ditto:  &TY

Trevor

« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2015, 02:26:28 AM »
I wonder if many Christian women are aware that the dress and modesty of muslim womem (which they so hate) are actually the very same modesty and dress that the jews and early Christoians practiced? The documentarian Ruhi Hamid in her film "Islam Unveiled," shows that Muslim women were actually influenced by the early Byzantine Christians, which took their modesty from the faith of Israel women. The women of the church of Christ wore head coverings in accordance with the Apostle Paulís command in 1st Corinthians for women to cover their heads in public worship. This in accordance with the customs of of the women of Israel that required them to cover their heads in public and to dress modestly for public worship and interactions. Speaking of the modesty that God requires, we read

"For after this manner in the old time the holy women also, who trusted in God, adorned themselves, being in subjection unto their own husbands:" 1st Peter 3:5

So here we see another reason why women should seek that modesty and adorning as this characterized the pious and honored women of ancient times who were commended of God. So I have to agree with what Sojourner said about the Muslim religion holding true to the modesty of their women and not attempting to modernize or change as much as Christianity does. I think it's pretty obvious that there has been a change in Christian women concerning modesty, and it has to do with culture and religious leaders, not with God allowing less modesty.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2015, 05:06:52 AM »
Well here's the second woman to speak up in this thread, and I doubt you'll like what I'm going to say either. Maybe women aren't addressing this issue because of men like you.

Men like me who say that modesty is next to Godliness? I doubt it. Maybe it's because there really is no justification for it. Even you have to resort to distraction, because God's word is clear about modesty, isn't it?

you seem to blame women for your (men) own salacious, lecherous and lustful thoughts. If you have lusts when you look at woman's clothing, isn't that's on you?

Yes. It is. Likewise, if you wear immodest clothing when God says don't wear immodest clothing, isn't that on you?  :S_Confused:

You see the difference between you and me is that I can answer a question honestly. How about you?  :)

There certainly are a lot of male chauvinists in the world, and some of them on this forum.

Would that include God and his decisions about the roles of men and women?

I reject out of hand the idea that women are immodest today. Define immodest.

I thought I did. For starters, short skirts and dresses, tight pants, Low cut blouses, bare midriffs, excessive adornings, gaudy lipsticks, bikinis, or any skin tight clothing in public.

Without a doubt, a lot of Christian men are misogynist and contribute to this widespread contempt for women.

No contempt here. Just a desire t be obedient to what God says is righteous.

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2015, 05:11:33 AM »
I have to agree with what Sojourner said about the Muslim religion holding true to the modesty of their women and not attempting to modernize or change as much as Christianity does. I think it's pretty obvious that there has been a change in Christian women concerning modesty, and it has to do with culture and religious leaders, not with God allowing less modesty.

:ditto:  More than pretty obvious, it is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't blind. You're right, God is not allowing less modesty today, women today are the ones deciding they can be more immodest. That's the elephant in the room. That's the thing no one wants to say out loud. Show more legs, show more cleavage, bare midriffs, tight sweaters and blouses, and on and on. Then claim it's just changing culture and not a violation. And don't tell me it's fashion either, fashion has nothing to do with letting your breasts hang out or wearing skin tight clothing. There are plenty of decent blouses and loose fitting fashionable clothing. It has to do with the modern desire to attract attention to the body.

And that's why women aren't commenting :baghead:

Not because they disagree, but because they know we're telling the truth and there is no biblical justification for what they desire to wear.

Dryfus

• Nothing without Proof
The whole world is a Stage

Arnold

• The Spirit is willing, but the Flesh is weak.
« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2015, 07:48:04 PM »
More than pretty obvious, it is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't blind. You're right, God is not allowing less modesty today, women today are the ones deciding they can be more immodest. That's the elephant in the room. That's the thing no one wants to say out loud. Show more legs, show more cleavage, bare midriffs, tight sweaters and blouses, and on and on. Then claim it's just changing culture and not a violation. And don't tell me it's fashion either, fashion has nothing to do with letting your breasts hang out or wearing skin tight clothing. There are plenty of decent blouses and loose fitting fashionable clothing. It has to do with the modern desire to attract attention to the body.

That's way harsh! How do you know why women do things or their motivation or the immorality of it? Are you a woman or are you psychic?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 08:27:21 AM »

God offers a righteous alternative to the sexual objectification of women, which is the honor of women.

Maryam

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2015, 09:07:27 PM »

This is my first post this forum, and as i am a muslim woman - don't shoot - i feel compelled to reply to this thread.

But first let me say that i was surfing the internet about christian modesty, to get some talking points with my mother, who is christian but could care less about the scriptures.
Then i saw that the forum has a very nice eschatology section, and i registered because comparative eschatology is a passion of mine. (We muslims are waiting for the Second Coming of Christ, when he will descend from heaven between two angels and fill the Earth with Justice and Peace).

Anyways, my take on the subject is this : many christians follow their religion out of habit, not out of conviction. But there are some christian women who really believe deeply, and they apply. My pinterest boards are full with different christian headcoverings.

Some christians veil their face, too :
She is an orthodox christian and gives her arguments in the description of the video.

billnjune

• Saved, By God's Grace Alone!
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2015, 10:44:17 PM »
Welcome Maryam, :welcome:

I want to wholeheartedly welcome you to MountainRetreat.  I have wanted to talk to a Muslim for a very long time, but never had the chance. 

I am so impressed that you want to honor your husband.  Here are my questions for you:

I assume that you practice arranged marriages.  What do you personally think about this if you donít mind answering?  How long have you been married?  Are you happily married?  Do you want this for your daughter?

Again thanks again for your reading MR and I hope that we can have a great discussion here.

Your friend,

BillnJune
The only regret that I have is that I only have one life to live for my God.

Maryam

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2015, 11:26:47 PM »
   I want to wholeheartedly welcome you to MountainRetreat.

Thank you.

I have wanted to talk to a Muslim for a very long time, but never had the chance.

Well... i'm here...

I am so impressed that you want to honor your husband.

Here is the thing, i don't cover to honor my husband - even if i do respect him - but to ascertain my spiritual identity and to obey the Lord. Obedience isn't for obedience sake, but to prove our Love for the Creator. We can't say that we Love Him and play pretend. We have to prove our Love, both by obedience, and by staying firm when befallen by calamities.
My ex-husband forbid me to veil my face, so i didn't, out of respect for his opinion. (Guess what i did the first day after my divorce...)
My veil, is affirming that i am not a body with a soul, but a soul with a body.
It is affirming that i refuse to be judged on my weight, on my sexiness/ugliness, on my ethnicity or on my age.
It is affirming that what matters in society is what i think, say, and do.
I grew up with veiling around me by the way, i had two grandaunts who were nuns. One was cloistered, the other teached english and photography.
I assume that you practice arranged marriages.  What do you personally think about this if you donít mind answering?  How long have you been married?  Are you happily married?  Do you want this for your daughter?

Well for my first marriage it was a romantic marriage - and as a christian, i respected the fact that my muslim partner did not want to have sex out of marriage. That lasted 14 years and three children. I did the wrong choice and was not happy, though i didn't ask for divorce (the islamic view on divorce is that it is the worst thing of all permissible acts, a last resort), i placed my trust in the Lord, knowing that it is only a short life after all, and that every single suffering, even the smallest, is an expiation of sins. Anyways, i  didn't have to endure all my life after all, he divorced me last year.

I met my second husband on the internet - as happens with most non-rural marriages these days.
As for arranged marriages, why not if both parties incline to each other. But i am vehemently against forced marriages. It is illegal anyways under islamic law - as marriage is considered a contract, and a contract is only  valid with consenting parties. What i would like for my daughters, is a believing husband with excellent manners and character.

billnjune

« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2015, 10:26:50 AM »
Thank you so much for your response Maryam,

I am most grateful to you for your answering my questions.  I want to be so careful that my questions donít sound sarcastic or belittling.  I respect you for your desire to please your God above all.  Some more questions if you donít mind:

You are obviously educated but I was under the impression that girls in Islamic countries were not educated and not allowed to work outside the home, drive, hold office or for that matter even to have opinions.  Is this true?

We are told that an Islamic man who dies for his faith will have 1000 virgins in heaven.  Is this true?  That sounds like Islam is a male orientated religion.  What is in it for the girls?  Is it the girls desire to serve men in heaven?  I wonder if Islamic men are such hunks of men that they would even know what to do with 1000 virgins?

Is Islam a polygamist society?  Did not Mohammad have multiple wives?

Does the Koran really specify these things for everyone to obey?

Thanks again for your time,

BillnJune

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2015, 11:05:11 AM »

Hi,
  I don't want to get off topic, But I'm impressed that at least you're not afraid to make a comment like the "Christian" women around here. I don't know if you read my post or not, but I have steadfastly argued about this modesty issue and the Christian women here simply don't have anything to say because they don't want to admit that they don't want to give up their provocative way of dressing. Lots of comments from men, but the women all pof a sudden have their tongues removed it seems. I agreed with what the poster named Sojourner said about the Muslim religion holding true to the modesty of their women and not attempting to modernize or change as much as the women in Christianity does. As I said, I think it's pretty obvious that there has been a change in Christian women in the west when it comes to modesty, and anyone denying that is blind. I think it has to do with our religious leaders losing their conviction, not with God permitting more immodesty (as it seems modern women believe). Here's my post:

More than pretty obvious, it is painfully obvious to anyone who isn't blind. You're right, God is not allowing less modesty today, women today are the ones deciding they can be more immodest. That's the elephant in the room. That's the thing no one wants to say out loud. Show more legs, show more cleavage, bare midriffs, tight sweaters and blouses, and on and on. Then claim it's just changing culture and not a violation. And don't tell me it's fashion either, fashion has nothing to do with letting your breasts hang out or wearing skin tight clothing. There are plenty of decent blouses and loose fitting fashionable clothing. It has to do with the modern desire to attract attention to the body.

And that's why women aren't commenting :baghead:

Not because they disagree, but because they know we're telling the truth and there is no biblical justification for what they desire to wear.

I 100 percent believe that is true. So while I do not believe in the Muslim religion, I wholeheartedly agree that Muslim women are more modest, and it's not even debatable as far as I'm concerned. I believe they are so because of their conviction. Western Christians mutilate scripture for their own selfish purposes.

Can I assume you were taught modesty by accepting what is in your book, or taught by your parents or your leaders teachings, rather than blindly follow society?

Reformed Baptist

• Reformed Baptists
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2015, 11:06:26 AM »
We are told that an Islamic man who dies for his faith will have 1000 virgins in heaven.  Is this true? 

:offtopic:  You should start another thread for that discussion Bill.

billnjune

« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2015, 11:24:13 AM »
Sorry RB,

You are right.  I started a new thread on the Islamic faith

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3096.msg34516;topicseen#msg34516

Bill

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]