[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Why are Muslim Women so much more Modest than Christian Women?  (Read 10198 times)

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
Why are Muslim Women so much more Modest than Christian Women?
« on: October 13, 2013, 03:04:52 PM »
A question that has been puzzling me for some time now is, why are Muslim women so much more modest (Godly speaking) and respectful of their men than Christian women today are? Christian women seem to have no modesty at all, showing just much skin as unsaved women do. At least most of them. Especially with these little bathing suits and low cut blouses that they pretend are proper for Christian women to wear. To tell you the truth, when I watch stories of Muslim women overseas on TV, they are shocked at the amount of skin Christian women show. It reminds me of the way the Bible speaks of the women in the Old Testament. I'm starting to think we Christians have lost something not bad, but something good from the past. Am I off base? Does anyone beside me notice this lack of modesty?

Cecil

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: Why are Muslim Women so much more Modest than Christian Women?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
 Christian men do not dress like Muslim men and yet know one questions their dress and grooming.
Modesty is the principle that all Christians strive to attain to.

bloodstone

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 10:16:49 PM »
Christian men do not dress like Muslim men and yet know one questions their dress and grooming.
Modesty is the principle that all Christians strive to attain to.

I don't know what you are talking about, but I do know it has nothing to do with my questions about the immodesty of western "Christian" women. In dress, in dance in what they enjoy, in what they talk about, the list is endless. Why are Muslim women so much more modest (Godly speaking) and respectful of their men than Christian women today are? That's the only question I'm interested in. Not a justification of it, but why it is. Christian women in general seem to have no modesty at all. When did it become proper for Christian women to have their breasts falling out of their blouses, or showing just much skin as unsaved women do. I guess I'm not getting any "legitimate" responses because Christians feel guilty about it or they just want to ignore this modern phenomenon in the Church.

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 03:40:06 AM »
I guess I'm not getting any "legitimate" responses because Christians feel guilty about it or they just want to ignore this modern phenomenon in the Church.

There may be a third option. That we agree with you to some degree but have no answer as to why.  :Say_what:

It seems like it may be unchanging culture over there where they've remained living in the past and so retained some of the moral values of the past. By contrast, western culture has gone in the toilet, and western values and morals right along with it. Progress and modernization isn't always a good thing.

But in the long run, it doesn't make them better in any way, because the wrong gospel is as good as no gospel or a declining gospel.

Kyle

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 05:33:38 AM »

Because Christian women and men today are amoral. They don't look at things in terms of whether it is moral or immoral, but in terms of whether they can find a preacher who'll say it's not a sin. You find one preacher that says it's OK to wear a skirt 5 inches above the knee and that's all that is required. You find one preacher to say that a man playing the lottery is not a sin and that's all that is required. They're both amoral and don't understand morality as people did many years ago.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 02:15:55 AM »

Well, Islam does lay down a proper code of behavior, which is primarily intended to safeguard the modesty, dignity and honor of men and women. I guess at this point I should start ducking for cover :)

Christianity once did, but hasn't done that since the 50s. That's when the value system started changing on a country-wide level. The new modernism with Christians compromising chastity and moral values of Christ with the new freedoms and values of society at large.

I don't think it's Muslim women per se, but the old fashioned morality that was once pretty much the norm worldwide. Let's not forget, we were all created in the image of God, and while we have lost that because of sin, there is still that natural God breathed law and morality in every soul. It's "this" morality that causes Muslim women who have not tasted on the fruit of the west (so to speak) to understand the goodness of moral women. And that's what Christian women have lost when it started choosing the way of the world (of freedom) instead of the way of the Bible (of a bondservant to Christ).

Let's face it, not just Muslims, but all women were more moral (I'm speaking generally) than they are today. Yes, men also. Because there is no light of the Church shinning in the world to brighten man's darkened soul. Christians are too busy being offended to see the immorality in the world, much less the Church.

Wayne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 03:10:13 AM »
We still have moral women in the Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch Church areas. Even some Catholics who live in rural South America also keep themselves chaste. So it's not only Muslim women who put their faith ahead of modern dress and moral behavior. Yes, it's true a lot of Muslim women are amongst them, but they are not the only ones.

Dwight

• That we keep his commandments 1 John 5:3
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 07:41:53 AM »

I wouldn't want to put forth any idea that Islam is a moral religion for women, so I won't comment except to say that Christian women are falling. That much is clear. But before you women get upset, Christian men have already fallen.

Jeremy

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2013, 07:57:25 AM »
This is very much related to this thread:

http://www.mountainretreatorg.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=3055.0

Modesty and Christian women. It seems we mostly agree that there needs to be some restoration.

Maurice

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2013, 10:45:55 AM »
A question that has been puzzling me for some time now is, why are Muslim women so much more modest (Godly speaking) and respectful of their men than Christian women today are?

The simple answer is, Muslim women have more faith. Hard to believe, but true.

docholl

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2013, 11:46:47 AM »
 Faith In What ?

Maurice

« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2013, 12:02:04 PM »
Faith In What ?

In their god of course. Christian women have no faith in their god, else they wouldn't ignore his word concerning modesty. But you tell me why Christian women wear breast revealing blouses and dresses way above the knee. Because they have faith god wants them to? The only faith they have is in their dress attracting men's eyes.

docholl

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2013, 05:21:10 PM »
 I Don't Think It's Faith , I Think It's Fear  :hammerhead:

Maurice

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2013, 07:01:09 PM »
I Don't Think It's Faith , I Think It's Fear  :hammerhead:

Hmmmmm. So you're saying women don't wear low cut blouses to attract eyes to a certain area? Or short dresses to attract eyes to the legs?  :Say_what:

John

• Gold Member
  • A man with God is always in the majority-John Knox
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2013, 08:36:13 PM »
Before Muslim women are praised for their constraint in not dressing provocatively consider that their societal norms require this - by their religious law backed up by an entire societal structure. The consequences for disobedience are severe.

Most Christian women live in an entirely different environment wherein their secularized societal norms embrace carnality and celebrates the sexualization of women. Tremendous pressure is exerted throughout society and imposed on all women to think, act, and behave in a brazenly godless fashion - to the applause of a secularized godless male dominated society.

No doubt, if Muslim women can be freed from the dictates of their dress code without fear of retribution, many would not hesitate to behave in identical fashion.

Christianity does not require women to dress in a burlap sack but it does require women to dress modestly and honorably - which can be done attractively and with full femininity yet without exuding sexuality or dressing to gain undue physical attention.

If the church doesn't press the issue of purity in dress, which it doesn't, then the congregation will slide downward into the carnal fashions of the world until it becomes standard fare within Christian circles for women to dress like tramps. Where is the Christian males and church rulership - isn't their silence simply a commendation and secret encouragement for the sexual dress practices within the church?

You can be sure most professing Christians haven't a clue as to what is proper attire (where would they learn this?) and would be bewildered and offended if the church leadership insisted they cover up. Pastors are hardly willing to lose a high percentage of their offering monies (for most, church is a business that needs to turn a profit) over something nobody else in the church seems to care about (and probably likes).

john
Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]