[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Does 'The Love Of Many Shall Wax Cold' Mean?  (Read 16770 times)

Jeremy

Re: The Love of Many Shall Wax Cold
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2017, 12:08:53 PM »
>>>
Erik and Tony, so you're saying that the love growing cold in the world has nothing to do with Matthew?
<<<

I'm "clearly" saying that the love growing cold that Christ was addressing in Matthew was in the congregation, and the reason that it was growing cold "there" was because of iniquity (lawlessness) abounding.

I understand your position. But that doesn't mean that the love waxing cold isn't also in the world. Look at the world today.

Clifford Grodin

• Obviously I'm a Novice
Re: What Does 'The Love Of Many Shall Wax Cold' Mean?
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2017, 10:46:20 PM »
 :thinker: I don't think you understand Tony's position. Maybe you should read it again.  :BibleRead:

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2017, 06:15:17 AM »
>>>
 I'm "clearly" saying that the love growing cold that Christ was addressing in Matthew was in the congregation, and the reason that it was growing cold there was because of iniquity (lawlessness) abounding.

I understand your position. But that doesn't mean that the love waxing cold isn't also in the world. Look at the world today.
<<<

If love grows cold in the church because there is lawlessness/sin there, I can see how the world would be that much more lawless, seeing how Christ taught that the church is the light of the world (through Christ of course). However, in Matthew I believe Christ is specifically addressing sin, the abandonment of God's laws, growing in the church. This is what causes the church's love to grow cold. In other words, the church is no longer following God's laws and there are many false teachers and prophets allowed to abide there with all sorts of doctrines, few of which conform to God's word. The falling away of the church is very well documented in Scripture, and I believe Christ was again addressing this iniquity that causes the church to forsake the love it once put first.

2nd John 1:5-6
  • "And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.
  • And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it."

Do we love God illustrated in loving one another? God not only tells the church what it must do, but defines it, because He knows there are many deceivers who corrupt His love by introducing doctrines unfaithful to His laws. Doctrine declaring how we don't have to do this, or we can do that and be Christian, or how we're not obligated to do the other. Pretty soon, we are rationalizing away every law of God so that basically we aren't obligated to do anything because its (allegedly) against grace. We don't love each other and we forsake His command to love our neighbor, to feed his sheep and to freely give. We have little desire to freely give the same love to others, that Christ gave to us. This, I believe, is love growing cold, a falling away from the faithfulness of Christ. Even as spoken by the Apostles:

1st Timothy 4:1-2
  • "Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;
  • Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;"

To have our conscience seared with a hot iron signifies that we have lost that loving feeling, the feelings which are our desire to help others, rather than ourselves. The portrait no doubt alludes to the effect of applying a hot iron to the skin so that it cauterizes, becomes hardened, and loses all feeling there. Like the church today, they have no conscience about not going forth with the great commission because there are few doctrines in the church that teach it anymore. They've left their first love, fallen from Christ's work because they really have their hearts set on the world and not the kingdom. Their eyes are not on Christ, but on all the things going on in the world (Luke 11:34). This growing cold specifically speaks to the growing apostasy in the falling away from faith of the saints. Iniquity is there because their doctrines are not of Christ anymore, but of the adversary, the Devil. They are carnal, of the flesh, sinful, having been corrupted by the teachings of the evil one. Does this bother those in the church? No, because they have lost that love for truth, that Christ conscience has been seared. This defection of so many professing Christians was foreseen and foretold. God's love growing cold in the church can be vividly seen in our day where its members are more worldly, less loving (in the God glorifying sense) than the people in the world. The passage to the church at Ephesus (Revelation 2:4-5) is so relevant today. Yet there is no conscience, no remorse, no repentance in the church, and thus there shall be no stay of God's hand.

Revelation 2:4-5
  • "Nevertheless I have somewhat against thee, because thou hast left thy first love.
  • Remember therefore from whence thou art fallen, and repent, and do the first works; or else I will come unto thee quickly, and will remove thy candlestickout of his place, except thou repent."

What is the candlestick? What is the first works, the primary work of the Church? What is the "protos agape" or first love that they had left? In short, what is the loving charity, the first works of the church? That is what is "missing" from thi church and today's church also. It's certainly not politics missing there, it's not singing missing there, it's not crusading missing there, it's not the members saying Amen there or praying and saying I love you Lord, and it's not unfaithfulness and immorality that is missing there. It's the Lord's work, the first works of the church. That is what's missing, it's the love of each other and our neighbor as ourselves that we have lost, and thus the love of Christ. The love that the Apostle Paul had when he sojourned all over with the testimony of Christ. It's the love for his fellow man, evangelism, the great commission, that the elect might have the opportunity to receive God's love as He had. Christians today are so busy trying to make this wasteland into a righteous world that they have forgotten that (beside from being impossible) that's not their first work. It's not their primary task, it's an exercise in futility.

So yes, while that passage doesn't preclude the love waxing cold in the world as it does in the church, it's also not specifically addressing the love in the world, which has always been cold as they have always forsaken God's commandments and hated Christ without conscience.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

NTG

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2017, 09:59:53 AM »

We don't love each other and thus we forsakes His command to love our neighbor, and to feed his sheep, and to freely give. We have little desire to freely give the same love to others, that Christ gave to us.

Thank you Tony, you helped me see a place where I definitely need improvement.

Reuben

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2017, 10:52:25 AM »

We don't love each other and thus we forsakes His command to love our neighbor, and to feed his sheep, and to freely give. We have little desire to freely give the same love to others, that Christ gave to us.

Thank you Tony, you helped me see a place where I definitely need improvement.

:ditto:

Frank Mortimer

« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »
That doesn't answer my question.  What proof do you have that Christ wasn't talking about the love all over the world would turn cold?

The context is the proof George. It's important to study the bible in context of who Christ is talking to and what he is telling them.  Taking these verses out of context will lead you to all sorts of misunderstandings and misinterpretations.

Anne

• Grow With God
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2017, 11:33:53 PM »

Philippians 1:9-11
 "And this I pray, that your love may abound yet more and more in knowledge and in all judgment;
  That ye may approve things that are excellent; that ye may be sincere and without offence till the day                   
  of Christ; Being filled with the fruits of righteousness, which are by Jesus Christ, unto the glory and
  praise of God."

This is what's missing.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2017, 08:18:35 AM »
None of this is any proof to you because like so many Premillennarians/Dispensationalists you have your eyes on the world instead of the prize.

Nonsense, I have my eyes in the bible and that's how I know God still loves the people of Israel, and Jerusalem was destroyed in 70 ad, and love is growing cold in the world. How else would you explain the hatred of Trump, the persecution of Israel, the homosexuals in the media and your attacks on the Dispensational brethren? It's sure not love.

:bump: How else?

Della

• Jesaus Is Lord!
« Reply #38 on: May 23, 2017, 09:30:33 AM »
How else would we explain the lack of love for trump? Are you joking? Maybe because he's abrasive and self-serving? Come on, this passage has nothing to do with politics or the nation of Israel. This is a lack of Godly love for Christ, not Trump. And no one should have a love for Dispenationalism, because it's false teaching. George, I would like to see you post scripture supporting your position once in a while, because I don't know how you get to the place you are at without it.

I Cor. 15:50
"Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption."

Earthly kingdoms and world politics just do not cut it George.

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2017, 09:00:37 AM »
That's funny because I never thought this meant the love in the world would grow cold as many apparently do. I always saw this as the love of God growing cold. But now I have better insights of just what the love of God demands. Thanks.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2017, 09:11:12 AM »
>>>
But now I have better insights of just what the love of God demands.
<<<

...so you're the one! ;)

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]