[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: What Does 'The Love Of Many Shall Wax Cold' Mean?  (Read 15285 times)

Rose

• De 8:8 "A land of oil olive, and honey.."
What Does 'The Love Of Many Shall Wax Cold' Mean?
« on: May 06, 2011, 05:54:09 AM »

Hi everyone,
    Can anyone explain what the phrase or prophecy in Matthew 24 means.

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Matthew 24:12

What does this mean, the love of many shall wax cold. Does it mean the new callousness that is leading the church to the very cold and apathetic state it is in with regards to charity? It seems that besides from the catholic Church, the Churches don't feed the needy, care for the widows or help the poor any more.

"I am the rose of Sharon, and the lily of the valleys." - S.O.S. 2:1

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: What Does 'The Love Of Many Shall Wax Cold' Mean?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 09:25:59 AM »
>>>
Hi everyone,
    Can anyone explain what the phrase or prophecy in Matthew 24 means.

"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold." Matthew 24:12
<<<

Well, I can give you my take on it. Others may disagree. I believe that it specifically deals within the context of the people of God, and the prophesy of the falling away, that many "professed Christians" will lose the Spirit of love (of God) because they are so smitten with the world and all that entails. This love means a lack of love in God's economy, not the world's.

1st John 2:15
  • "Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him."

There is the love growing cold. The love of God growing cold with the increase of the love of the world is an increase in iniquity or sin. The results of this are inevitable.

>>>
What does this mean, the love of many shall wax cold.
<<<

Look at the context of the passage. It is within the context of the growth of false doctrines (lies in the name of Christ), a falling away or forsaking wherein many of the church are offended by the truth that is preached. They are offended because they don't like hearing the truth, they want to do their own thing. Just as some in this forum become offended and deny the gospel, even though it is quoted word for word. They are so enamored by in this work-a-day world that they have no idea of the true meaning that "Love Thy Neighbor" is like loving God. They are too busy loving themselves and their position in this life.

James 2:8
  • "If ye fulfil the royal law according to the scripture, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself, ye do well:"

This commandment is like the greatest (Love the Lord thy God), because in it is fulfilled the love of God. The same love of God so lacking in today's church that is so preoccupied with the cares of this world, they don't bother with the great commission. They don't want to hear of the command of Christ because they have formulated their own idea of Christian responsibility. I believe they are forsaking the gospel of Christ for another gospel more to their liking. One which is much more palatable or comfortable for them. They love and serve themselves, rather than Christ, because they have no true agape or Christian charity, no love for their neighbor as for themselves. Again, consider the context of your quote:

Matthew 24:10-13
  • "And then shall many be offended, and shall betray one another, and shall hate one another.
  • And many false prophets shall rise, and shall deceive many.
  • And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold.
  • But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved."

This failing charity is in the context of a great deception of lies in the church, a growing unfaithfulness, a falling away where wickedness or iniquity is increasing. Why is love (as God defines it) growing cold? God says it is because iniquity abounds. In other words, unrighteousness or sin lies at the root of this failing love. And in the midst of this God says it is only he that shall endure all this to the end, who shall be saved. In other words, the iniquity that is loosed (2nd Thessalonians 2:7) so that the agape of the church grows cold, is of the adversary promoting sin. Visa vis, Love of the world "as if" it were synonymous with love of God.

Satan is not interested in preventing physical food from being delivered to the poor, or preventing the fatherless from being cared for, he is the anti (opposite or substitute) Christ interested in preventing spiritual food from being delivered in the church, and spiritually preventing the fatherless from coming to adoption, etc., etc.

Isaiah 55:1-2
  • "Ho, every one that thirsteth, come ye to the waters, and he that hath no money; come ye, buy, and eat; yea, come, buy wine and milk without money and without price.
  • Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not? hearken diligently unto me, and eat ye that which is good, and let your soul delight itself in fatness."

2nd Corinthians 6:17-18
  • "Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you,
  • And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty."

Here is the feeding of the poor, and here is the adoption of the fatherless.  What is growing cold is the great commission, our charter mission to go to the ends of the earth and feed the poor and help the fatherless and the widows. The commission to go forth and feed the poor is changed to the delusion that we are simply to feed ourselves. we are out to become successful, making a name for ourselves, growing fiscally prosperous. To act willfully as if Christ is actually our servant (to be called upon only when needed), rather than that we His servants to do His will. We have become a church without true evangelism or mission, only empty words about GRACE, the end all of reprobates. But faith without works is dead. Because those who "LOVE" Christ, of the Spirit must feed the poor and clothe the homeless. Spiritually, as they are those with the greatest need. Those who feed them are those coming with love. Those ignoring their work are those whose love has grown cold.

John 21:16
  • "He saith to him again the second time, Simon, son of Jonas, lovest thou me? He saith unto him, Yea, Lord; thou knowest that I love thee. He saith unto him, Feed my sheep."

Christ here says [agapao] benevolent love, and John says [phileo] friendship love. Christ wants [agapao] or Charitable behavior, the benevolence of us "loving our neighbor as ourselves."  I believe that is the love that this prophesy says will grow cold. We don't love our neighbor, we don't love God. The lacking of magnanimity of the Spirit to feed the Lord's sheep. Just as Christ says, "IF" you love Him, feed His Sheep! Because Christians today are so enamored with living just like the world, so vain, so self-centered, so lazy and selfish, they wouldn't know Christian sacrifice if it jumped up and cut them to the quick. They just don't seem to understand what their responsibility is. ...except to claim they are Christian.

>>>
Does it mean the new callousness that is leading the church to the very cold and apathetic state it is in with regards to charity?
<<<

Yes I believe so, the love in view is 'agape' benevolence, not worldly charity or caring. i.e. the love of thy neighbor in desiring exactly the same for them, as we desire for ourselves. So then, what is the best we desire for ourselves? Salvation!

Galatians 5:14
  • "For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

What is the greatest thing you desire for yourself? Is it not Salvation? So to desire that same thing for your neighbor, that is true love or true charity. That is true love of thy neighbor. It's not truly in giving him a loaf of physical bread that he might live to see tomorrow, but giving him the gospel as the bread that he might live forever. This is the only true agape love. This is the true "Good Samaritan" who truly cares by binding up his neighbors wounds and pouring in oil and wine. Not passing him by, thinking there is nothing I can do, or I'm not equipped to help, or someone else will help,  or a hundred other lame excuses. This is the true love (agape) that is waxing or growing cold because unrighteousness abounds. God says all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. Unfortunately, the church today has become lawless. Charity starts at home, but unfortunately it is completely consumed there.

>>>
 It seems that besides from the catholic Church, the Churches don't feed the needy, care for the widows or help the poor any more.
<<<

And why do you think the Catholic Church (to a small degree) does that? Is it because it understands scripture concerning the fatherless, the hungry and poor, or is it because they misunderstand these scriptures? Who are the Widows, fatherless, hungry and poor in God's economy?

Matthew 25:44-46
  • "Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?
  • Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.
  • And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal."

Make no mistake, Christ is talking about spiritual help. Those who hunger and thirst after righteousness, those who are naked because they have not the covering for their sin, those in the prison house of Satan, held in captivity, etc., etc. This is the service God requires of us. Service means to serve. But to most Christians, these are as empty words to be glossed over at will. ...except for the fact that they are prophesy! Woe to those whose love has grown cold.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 10:03:23 AM »
>>>
 It seems that besides from the catholic Church, the Churches don't feed the needy, care for the widows or help the poor any more.
<<<

And why do you think the Catholic Church (to a small degree) does that? Is it because it understands scripture concerning the fatherless, the hungry and poor, or is it because they misunderstand these scriptures? Who are the Widows, fatherless, hungry and poor in God's economy?

Tony,
    You amaze me! Now you condemn the Catholic Church for charity? You now have a problem with us doing what the Lord told us to do, feed the poor? Here's what I'd like to know. Why no one stands up against your teachings against what the Apostles taught.

Luke 18:22
 Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee: sell all whatever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

We believe that. The Roman Catholic Church feeds more, shelters more, clothes more, heals more and saves more people than any other entity in the history of the world. Maybe the Protestants are just jealous!

laurenp

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 01:49:35 PM »
>>>
<<<

Tony,
    You amaze me! Now you condemn the Catholic Church for charity? You now have a problem with us doing what the Lord told us to do, feed the poor? Here's what I'd like to know. Why no one stands up against your teachings against what the Apostles taught.

Luke 18:22
 Which when Jesus had heard, he said to him: Yet one thing is wanting to thee: sell all whatever thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come, follow me.

We believe that. The Roman Catholic Church feeds more, shelters more, clothes more, heals more and saves more people than any other entity in the history of the world. Maybe the Protestants are just jealous!

Doug:

1st off- Disclaimer for what I'm about to say: "Physician, heal thyself." I need to heed my own advice, and I admit it. I am too concerned with worldly things as well. So no condemnation here, just a proposal for some intelligent reasoning? I just honestly don't see how you could possibly repudiate Tony's answer. It should convict anyone with half a brain/heart.

You say Protestants are jealous? I agree! I'd say protestants (traditionally) are quite jealous. Jealous for saving eternal souls from eternal misery and introducing them to eternal joy, rather than giving temporal bodies a bunch of food and money to make their short vain temporal life on earth comfortable.....leaving them with a very bitter eternal end.

I don't know if I rightfully should even be discussing this (spiritual things), but your comment just seriously made me have to ask a simple, common sense, logical question. That is: why don't you understand Tony's distinct explanation that spiritual wellbeing is more important than physical wellbeing? How can you possibly argue with him on that? I mean it should make sense even to an unbeliever. Let's say a Christian moves to Haiti and gives a large, suffering family, who lives miserably in poverty, funds for food, clothing, and shelter for the rest of their their life. That would have been an act of kindness and sympathy on the Christian's part, yes. Good for them. The family happens to be a pagan voo-doo worshipping family.  The Christian fails to speak to them about their need for repentence, or speaks very little about it without much enthusiasm and more care for their physical contentment. Bad for them. Missionary goes back home, feeling glad, a sense of duty accomplished. Family is perfectly happy. A month later, an earthquake kills that very family, and unless they are converted, they die and go to hell. Bread and money aint comin' with them. The family will not be perfectly happy then, will it?. Is this not just common sense to anyone? Even an atheist would agree if you were to speak to him presuppositionally. I'm just saying... if you believe in the great commission, the primary purpose of which (I believe) is to turn people to God and save them from hell (not you saving, but as a tool in the hand of God).....why do you think it's more important to give physical things that only heal TEMPORARILY and do NOT heal ETERNALLY? Where is the logic in that?

I'm not saying don't be generous at all. I believe in physical charity as well. I don't see anything in the bible against it. The puritans were fervent about it, and I would see it as a virtue to give time, clothing, medicine, food, shelter, friendly support, etc to your unbelieving neighbour, if they truly needed it, and if it were done cheerily for God's sake and their sake (not just to make you feel righteous). But this is just concerning, I believe what is called "Christian living?" (daily tasks, work, social interaction, community, hospitality, etc.)  Different from the Great Commission, which is far more important, no? (Anyone correct me if I'm wrong)

But basically the issue here is one of common sense which honestly I think doesn't even need a single bible verse to prove. If I go up to anyone on the street and ask them "which do you consider more important, temporal happiness or eternal happiness"?....which do you think they'd answer? It's obvious. Why can't you see that? Especially claiming to believe in the bible? (which after all is the most important determiner of these things, not "common sense/intelligence". Although the two are synonymous!

Rose

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 04:54:36 PM »

Thank you Tony, I appreciate your answer.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2011, 10:58:54 AM »

Doug:

1st off- Disclaimer for what I'm about to say: "Physician, heal thyself." I need to heed my own advice, and I admit it. I am too concerned with worldly things as well. So no condemnation here, just a proposal for some intelligent reasoning? I just honestly don't see how you could possibly repudiate Tony's answer. It should convict anyone with half a brain/heart.

You say Protestants are jealous?

It is obvious Protestants are jealous of the one true Holy Church, because they cannot tolerate its teachings that have been handed down from the beginning.

I don't know if I rightfully should even be discussing this (spiritual things), but your comment just seriously made me have to ask a simple, common sense, logical question. That is: why don't you understand Tony's distinct explanation that spiritual wellbeing is more important than physical wellbeing? How can you possibly argue with him on that?

By scripture. By not only reading, but accepting what we read.

Luke 11:11-13
  If a son shall ask bread of any of you that is a father, will he give him a stone? or if he ask a fish, will he for a fish give him a serpent? Or if he shall ask an egg, will he offer him a scorpion?  If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

Give good gifts of real bread, not a stone and calling it spiritual. If not, your love of man has waxed cold.

Rose

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2011, 11:46:08 AM »

John 6:34-35
  "Then said they unto him, Lord, evermore give us this bread.  And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. "

If we give them Christ, the real bread, and you give them the natural baked bread, which one of us has secured their future?

Doug, you let your Church cloud your reasoning. Clearly it is more important to feed the sheep spiritually than physically. We can do both, but one is more important.

Dana Pescator

• I'm a llama!
The Love of Many Shall Wax Cold
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2016, 06:58:45 AM »
Matt. 24:12
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

I was thinking about this and the world today and wondering if this has anything to do with people supporting abortions because the love has waxed cold, or people being racists as love waxing cold, or even people's natural affections waxing cold as people support homosexuality. All comments welcomed.

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
Re: The Love of Many Shall Wax Cold
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2016, 09:02:26 AM »
>>>
Matt. 24:12
"And because iniquity shall abound, the love of many shall wax cold."

<<<

It generally shows I believe the world's definition of love is very different from what God is talking about. I believe that Christ was mainly predicting the effects of lawlessness in the churches, and not primarily in the state or in world governments. I'll leave that kind of predicting to the TV preachers.

The whole context is the effect of iniquity and the love growing cold in Godís people. I do not believe that Christ was telling His disciples to check when the crime rate goes up in the world as a sign, but rather "lawlessness" or iniquity in the house of God. Love is demonstrated in our spreading the gospel, and it is manifested in our faithfulness to His word. This is love (as God defines love) growing cold. The love in the world has always waxed cold, there has always been crime on the streets, even in the days of Christ there were highway robberies and fear of traveling at night, etc.  In the world there will always be wars, evil, adulteries, lawlessness and iniquity. That's normative for the world. It's in the church where it should be an unusual occurance. Iniquity should not stand there, but love abounding.When it becomes just the opposite, this is love growing cold that Christ warned about.

Mark 13:14
  • "But when ye shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, standing where it ought not, (let him that readeth understand,) then let them that be in Judaea flee to the mountains:"

This is an example of iniquity abounding instead of love, an example of the love of God growing cold where God's people have forsaken Him to allow abominations to flourish in His house. Love, as God defines it, would not permit these things God detests to stand in the holy place, it is only the forsaking of God, the abandonment of truth in love that allows this. Love is revealed in our remaining faithful to God's commandments. It is "this" that Christ teaches us will grow cold.

Hebrews 6:10
  • "For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labour of love, which ye have shewed toward his name, in that ye have ministered to the saints, and do minister."
1t John 2:4
  • "He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."
1st John 2:5
  • "But whoso keepeth his word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in him."
1st John 5:2
  • "By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments."
1st John 5:3
  • "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."
2nd John 1:6
  • "And this is love, that we walk after his commandments. This is the commandment, That, as ye have heard from the beginning, ye should walk in it."

This is God's definition of love--our faithfulness to His word, recognizing it as the righteous and supreme authority that it is. The church once considered God's word sacred, not in word only but in deed. Now it's considered more of a suggestion or mere guidelines rather than law! The exact opposite of true love.  Thus, this prophecy of love waxing (or growing) cold is the forsaking of God's commandments for the words of men. Not coincidentally, this is exactly what is going on in our day as church after church falls into apostasy, through ignoring, twisting and usurping God's word by their own futile creativity and rationalizations. True love would not allow this, but this is the love of God growing cold so that the people of the church begin to act just like the people of the world around them. ...lawless. That is to say, they don't hold to the laws God has laid down in Scripture anymore. They hold to their own doctrines, their own sentimentality, their own carnality, hatred, biases, lusts, unrighteousness and vain justifications. When that happens, that is abomination standing where it ought not. That is abominations standing in the holy place. That is the man of sin (lawlessness) ruling in God's house.

God is not warning the church about outward iniquity, which has been in the world since the world began, but inward iniquity, abominations standing in the church, the holy place where it ought not.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Jeremy

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 10:23:50 PM »
Erik and Tony, so you're saying that the love growing cold in the world has nothing to do with Matthew?

Christopher Henson

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 03:20:01 AM »
Jeremy, I've noticed that what Tony does that many other theologians don't do is number one, sticks with the Bible alone as the authority, and number two, uses biblical definitions, reason, logic and rationale. The people whose agape love is growing cold must be people who have had it in the first place. Love can't grow cold if it was never there in the first place. So it has to refer to those whom God has called into a relationship with Him (John 6:44). That's the church. The world never had any love in the first place, so how could it now be growing cold. At least not love as God defines it and as Christ is talking about in Matthew 24. That's why I think Tony is totally correct. The love in the world is just a byproduct, not what Christ was talking about.

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 09:07:19 AM »
 :GoodPopst:

The context of Matthew 24, as well as Luke 21 and Mark 13, have everything to do with the CHURCH during the Great Tribulation period prior to Second Coming. This is when Elect will "see" the love of God wax cold, the rise of false prophets and Christs, people telling you that their church has Spirit of Christ where you don't see, spiritual famine, spiritual wars between kingdom of God and Kingdom of Darkness in many churches all over the world for the rule of the church, and where Abomination of Desolation stands where it does not belong that comes with the signs in the sun, moon and stars, pointing to spiritual condition of the church.  The context has nothing to do with the world, governments, bad weather or earthquakes, physical wars, peace treaties, national Israel, or the physical city of Jerusalem in 70AD or today.

Erik   
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Herman Stowe

• SBC
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 02:56:44 PM »
Erik and Tony, so you're saying that the love growing cold in the world has nothing to do with Matthew?

:ditto: to the last two posts confirming this. The love in the world was always cold.

George

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 05:14:37 AM »
Lots of speculation but no facts. What proof do you have that Christ wasn't talking about the love all over the world would turn cold? Just look at the world today and it fits perfectly. There's now no love in the world, there is hatred everywhere you look. The terrorists have brought war on a worldwide basis. There use to be love for children, now the world can't abort them fast enough, they want to abort them even before. That's love growing cold in the world.

II Timothy 3:2-4
"For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;."

That's for Erik who says I never provide scripture, which obviously isn't true. He just wants to attack me because he can't stand anyone disagreeing with him. This is the love in the world growing cold.

Pilgrim

• Reformed and Reforming
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2016, 11:36:52 PM »
This is an example of iniquity abounding instead of love, an example of the love of God growing cold where God's people have forsaken Him to allow abominations to flourish in His house. Love, as God defines it, would not permit these things God detests to stand in the holy place, it is only the forsaking of God, the abandonment of truth in love that allows this. Love is revealed in our remaining faithful to God's commandments.

"Be thou faithful unto death, and I will give thee a crown of life". (Rev_2:10)
"And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins." -Matthew 1:21

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]