[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: A Buddhist Christian?  (Read 4005 times)

Stan Pat

• Obviously I'm a Novice
A Buddhist Christian?
« on: October 17, 2008, 08:14:09 AM »
Reba Mcintire apologizes to Christian fans but says she may be part Buddhist because she believes that she has been reincarnated and has been here on earth before as a man. But she still claims to be a christian and she doesn't care what other Christians think about it, that's what she believes.

My question is, can a true Christian be so deceived? Or are we just labeling everyone a Christian who claims to be a christian so we can pump up the numbers and claim there are more than one billion Christians throughout the world today? Isn't that just wishful thinking, and we'd be lucky if there were really one million? Why do we have to pretend everyone is a christian and make the foolish comment, don't judge? Why can't I say she's not a christian, she believes in Buddhism and doctrines incompatible with Christianity without someone saying, be quiet, don't judge?

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: A Buddhist Christian?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2008, 11:05:31 AM »
Let's cut through the politically correct Christian "sound bytes" and get down to brass tacks.

There are no Buddhist Christians, let's face facts. Reba is a head case, and like so many other head cases claiming to be saved and calling on Christ, she lives far away from reality. She may be able to sing, but she can't discern.

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Will the spirit of God say it may be part of the spirit of Buddhism? Think about it.

As far as labeling everyone a Christian who says Lord, Lord, that's been the case for a long while now.

That's why no one wants to admit that the churches are falling, because they think everyone who calls on Jesus' name is a Christian. So in their mind, their church is still good.

Lu 6:46
And why call ye me, Lord, Lord, and do not the things which I say?

Mt 25:10 And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
 11 Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.

Mt 7:21  Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father which is in heaven.
 22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
 23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity.

Saying Lord, Lord does not a Christian make. I think Reba is a symptom of a greater disease in Christianity. We are living in the "anything goes" era where judging right and wrong is considered judging and a sin for Christians to do. Even saying that she is wrong is considered by many in the church to be judgmental and unchristian. I'm sure we'll hear now how we should show love for her, and how we should welcome her as a fellow servant of God. That's just the way the church has fallen to compromise now. The question is, shall it go unpunished by God?

Robert63

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2008, 01:19:18 PM »
Reba is a beautiful Christian, and her rendition of amazing grace is powerful stuff. How many Christians did your singing bring in? And besides, she has a right to believe anything she wants, without being criticized for it.

Lu 6:37  Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

You don't even know if she really said that. It could be just a rumor. Don't condemn a beautiful witness for God.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2008, 04:41:46 PM »

Reba is a beautiful Christian, and her rendition of amazing grace is powerful stuff.

What has that got to do with anything?

How many Christians did your singing bring in?

Singing doesn't bring in Christians, the holy spirit does..

And besides, she has a right to believe anything she wants, without being criticized for it.

Brilliant! So let's not criticize the Pope's doctrines either, because he has a right to believe anything he wants without his doctrines being criticized. And let's not criticize the Pharisees for their doctrines either, because they have a right to believe anything they want, without being criticized for it. And let's not criticize Jim Jones and his doctrines either, because he has a right to believe anything he wants, without being criticized for it. Brilliant thinking! Your type of reasoning is the reason that the church is in such decline today. It's just so foolish, I can't believe you put one second of thought into it.

If you are going to mix Buddhism with Christianity, you might as well put an idol in the Holy Temple of God and bow down to it.  PERIOD!

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2008, 07:54:33 PM »
Reba is a beautiful Christian, and her rendition of amazing grace is powerful stuff. How many Christians did your singing bring in? And besides, she has a right to believe anything she wants, without being criticized for it.

Lu 6:37  Judge not, and ye shall not be judged: condemn not, and ye shall not be condemned: forgive, and ye shall be forgiven:

You don't even know if she really said that. It could be just a rumor. Don't condemn a beautiful witness for God.

If someone a hundred years ago claimed to be reincarnated then that person was looked upon as insane.  Now, itís accepted world-wide as truth and whatís even worse are the self-proclaimed Christians who also accept this crazy idea.  Robert63 is the example.

There is an absolute right and wrong concerning this topic and I wonít pretend otherwise.  Reba and anyone else who claims to be reincarnated is a liar.  This is not a judgment call on my behalf, itís calling her what she is.  She was not a man in a previous life. 

What is wrong with you,  Robert?  Obviously, someone singing Amazing Grace means more to you than His Amazing grace!

No one claiming reincarnation is a witness for God.  This is stupid and ridiculous.  How can someone serve two masters?
Matthew 6:24
  "No man can serve two masters: for either he will hate the one, and love the other; or else he will hold to the one, and despise the other. Ye cannot serve God and mammon."

Reba is a beautiful Christian, and her rendition of amazing grace is powerful stuff.

And BTW, she's not all that IMO.  She sounds more like a cat with its tail caught in a door, it also makes a powerful sound!!

Erik Diamond

• Affiliate Member
  • We are to God the aroma of Christ. (Eph 5:2)
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2008, 11:46:42 PM »
There is no such thing in the Kingdom of God as "Buddhist Christian". There is no such thing in the Kingdom of God as "Homosexual Christian".  There is no such thing in the Kingdom of God as "Jewish Christian."  We became CHRIST-ian by being an Elect of God, not serving two masters!

As far as labeling everyone a Christian who says Lord, Lord, that's been the case for a long while now. That's why no one wants to admit that the churches are falling. Because they think everyone who calls on Jesus' name is a Christian, so their church is still good.

Agreed. I am starting to hear some things like that from people who deny that churches are falling today despite admitting that apostasy is going on because they claimed to see people still getting "saved" by the power of Christ in their church, or felt "love" from among the people. So they will deny that great tribulation is here. But Jesus warned:

Mat 24:21-26

• For then shall be great tribulation, such as was not since the beginning of the world to this time, no, nor ever shall be.
  • And except those days should be shortened, there should no flesh be saved: but for the elect's sake those days shall be shortened.
  • Then if any man shall say unto you, Lo, here is Christ, or there; believe it not.
  • For there shall arise false Christs, and false prophets, and shall shew great signs and wonders; insomuch that, if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.
  • Behold, I have told you before.
  • Wherefore if they shall say unto you, Behold, he is in the desert; go not forth: behold, he is in the secret chambers; believe it not.

Erik
"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the LORD. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts." (Isaiah 55:8-9)

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2008, 08:21:12 AM »
Not to be contentious, but do any of you bible worshipers who come to this forum ever approach an issue with an open mind?  Now Reba is wrong because she possesses a little spirituality? Here is an article for you to read. Try and read it with an open mind.

http://web.archive.org/web/20090210074452/http://geocities.com/Tokyo/Temple/6198/beingchristianbuddhist1.html

As for anyone out there who doesn't agree with this closed minded group, the One True Roman Catholic Church is a little more enlightened on this issue. You might want to check into it.

Anne

• Grow With God
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2008, 09:10:52 AM »

It is true. I found this article below just by Googling the issue, so she has pretty much admitted it. And BTW, it is Christian to mark them hat cause divisions and offences contrary to the doctrines that we have learned (Romans 16:17) and avoid them. I don't know where you get the idea that all Christians have the right to believe whatever they want, and to have the church just wink at it and say "what a wonderful singer". But you didn't read it from the bible.

------------------------------

Although Reba McEntire fears that fellow Christians might criticize her for it, the singer says she believe she's been reincarnated.

"I believe I've gone both ways -- that I have been here before as a man," the 53-year-old (in this life, anyway) tells the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. "I believe I have spent time with my son Shelby before. I believe I have spent time with other people in my life before. Who knows? Maybe I'm part Buddhist."

As for reconciling her Christian faith with her belief in reincarnation, McEntire says, "I'm sorry, but this is how I live my life, this is what I believe."

In the same candid and often humorous interview, the country legend confesses her love for buying toilet paper in bulk at Costco.

"Why not buy 150 rolls of toilet paper at one time? I eventually use them up," she says with a laugh.

She also dishes on whether she'd rather star in a film about Britney Spears or Paris Hilton.

"Britney!" she exclaims. "She came up working in the music business, was a huge success, then something went wrong and now she's on a downside. Poor thing. What happened to her is very interesting to me. Paris? She acquired her fame through being, I guess, a rich socialite. She didn't earn it, so she doesn't interest me."

McEntire also reveals that the silliest thing she's done lately is karaoke-ing with Kelly Clarkson.

"She's half my age, but we have a blast together ..."

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 07:01:53 AM »
I agree with Penne, Anne and Erik. It's crazy to think that a Christian can also be a Buddhist. I just read this interesting article on this subject and thought I'd post it here.

URL: https://americananglican.org/can-one-be-christian-and-buddhist-at-the-same-time/

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 09:06:15 AM »
Melanie,
   This whole topic is silly, since Buddhism flat out will not affirm the existence of God. Anyone who knows anything about it knows that it is an atheistic religion. I have heard of many Roman Catholics who hold to both, but this is the first I've heard of Protestant acceptance of this philosophy.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2017, 12:38:51 PM »
Stop putting false information out there Hammer, Catholics do not believe in Buddhism or that their are Buddhist Catholics. Please get your facts straight.

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
Stop putting false information out there Hammer, Catholics do not believe in Buddhism or that their are Buddhist Catholics. Please get your facts straight.

And Catholics don't believe in purging sins in purgatory, nor that the Pope's word is God's word either. All I can tell you is that I know a Catholic that believes that, and I have been told by Catholics that this is the case. How about this as an example.

https://www.ncronline.org/news/double-belonging-buddhism-and-christian-faith

http://kennedyzen.tripod.com/

Robert Kennedy S.J. is a Jesuit priest and Zen teacher, so I presume it must be acceptable on some level.

http://www.patheos.com/Resources/Additional-Resources/Its-Not-Difficult-A-Catholic-Buddhist-Union

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 06:47:24 AM »

It's not false information Doug. Of course not all Catholics believe in it, he never said they did. Not all Protestants believe in Predestination and sovereignty of God, but me saying I know many who do does not make it false information.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 07:42:46 AM »
Let's cut through the politically correct Christian "sound bytes" and get down to brass tacks.

There are no Buddhist Christians, let's face facts. Reba is a head case, and like so many other head cases claiming to be saved and calling on Christ, she lives far away from reality. She may be able to sing, but she can't discern.

1Jo 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

Who made you a judge? If the one true Holy Catholic Church doesn't condemn her, who gives you the right?

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]