[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Roman Catholicism a Cult or Arminian Sect?  (Read 14639 times)

Trevor

Re: Is Roman Catholicism a Cult or Arminian Sect?
« Reply #60 on: December 30, 2016, 03:06:50 PM »

What I'm surprised at is that 11% of the 83 people who voted say Roman Catholicism is "not" a cult. That's a big number for non-catholics. It demonstrates the ignorance of Christians in understanding what a false church actually is. How can one possibly know the true church if you can't recognize a false one controlled by a man.
A Mind For Truth
Dr. C. Trevor Bavinck
New York, NY

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2017, 02:18:28 PM »

What I'm surprised at is that 11% of the 83 people who voted say Roman Catholicism is "not" a cult. That's a big number for non-catholics. It demonstrates the ignorance of Christians in understanding what a false church actually is. How can one possibly know the true church if you can't recognize a false one controlled by a man.

:Goodpoint:  :iagree:

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 04:33:32 PM »

What I'm surprised at is that 11% of the 83 people who voted say Roman Catholicism is "not" a cult. That's a big number for non-catholics. It demonstrates the ignorance of Christians in understanding what a false church actually is.

Maybe it's because they realize that without the Roman Catholic church, they wouldn't even have a Bible, and that this was the church of Martin Luther and the rest. The Apostles creed itself confirms the Catholic church. Can't beat that.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2017, 08:38:35 PM »
There is not one scriptural sound sentence in that link. It gets it wrong from the very first sentence. Catholic doctrine should anger every believer. Righteous anger,  of course.

But it doesn't. For the most part, Christians are apathetic towards Catholic doctrine or even sympathetic towards or inclusive of Roman Catholicism with Christianity. I read an outstanding book called "Catholicism: East of Eden" by former Catholic Priest Richard Bennett and he lays it out (with scripture) quite clearly the apostasy of this cult. I would recommend it to anyone who needs education on or about this issue. A good review of it is found here.

http://www.reformationireland.com/a/reformationireland.com/reformation-ireland/articles/catholicism-east-of-eden

ZeroCool

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #64 on: April 21, 2017, 11:16:38 AM »

What I'm surprised at is that 11% of the 83 people who voted say Roman Catholicism is "not" a cult. That's a big number for non-catholics.

It's 16% of 93 voting Christians as of today. 68%of people here say yes, it is. I don't think that's so bad, only 25 out of 93 people believe it is not a cult. That's pretty good, all things considered. Here's another site where only 65 percent of people say Yes.

http://www.debate.org/opinions/is-the-catholic-church-a-cult

I must admit that it makes you wonder what criteria some Christians are using to define a cult, because to me it seems pretty cut and dried. Even just blindly following a man (the Pope) or veneration of Mary is reason enough, even without all the other things.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2017, 08:02:51 AM »
I must admit that it makes you wonder what criteria some Christians are using to define a cult, because to me it seems pretty cut and dried. Even just blindly following a man (the Pope) or veneration of Mary is reason enough, even without all the other things.

There are so many ignorant people thinking that they are the true church. You can't be the church unless you are part of the one true church. Everything else is pretense. The only cults that are here are the breakaway cult of the so called reformation who apostatized from the one true Holy Catholic church.

"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." [Matthew 16:18] DRB

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #66 on: August 06, 2017, 12:20:25 PM »
>>>
There are so many ignorant people thinking that they are the true church.
<<<

I couldn't agree more. On that point, you have spoken truly. Ignorance, or the lack of knowledge concerning the true church is rampant among the people of God and flourishes unchecked by God's messengers. Pray that the people ignorant of what constitutes the true church will hear and obey.

Proverbs 1:5-7
  • "A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels:
  • To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings.
  • The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.'

There is a neglect of the first principle of the fear of the Lord in those indifferent to God's word. The exalting of the words of men is never a good substitute for truth.

>>>
You can't be the church unless you are part of the one true church. Everything else is pretense.
<<<

There is in fact pretense in the church, and yet those who dwell there in their unfaithfulness are still part of the church. God made that abundantly clear in passages like Revelation 2 and 3 where there was this ignorance in His church and it was met by God with warnings against these works that would eventually bring about about a fall and ruin/desolation. As as God's word defines people of such pretense as vessels unto dishonor that demonstrate little worth within His house.

2nd Timothy 2:20
  • "But in a great house there are not only vessels of gold and of silver, but also of wood and of earth; and some to honour, and some to dishonour."

In any church there will be a number of orthodox/Biblical believers, but also heterodox, hypocritical people professing Christianity. That doesn't mean there isn't one true church, that means within the congregation there are those who attempt to eat away at it like a cancer and it is the Christian's duty to purify themselves from them, showing themselves vessels unto honor.

>>>
The only cults that are here are the breakaway cult of the so called reformation who apostatized from the one true Holy Catholic church.
<<<

Actually, the Reformation church REFORMED or turned away from the false teachings of men that characterized that church and had for years eaten away at the one true Holy Universal Church. Their actions again like a cancer, and these conscientious men and women restored themselves to the ethos of the church under the authority of Christ (Sola-Scriptura) rather than men. ...much as when Hilkiah the priest brought back the lost Holy Scriptures to the King and he understood the error of the congregation and repented and reformed. Thus, Reformation.

2nd Chronicles 34:19-21
  • "And it came to pass, when the king had heard the words of the law, that he rent his clothes.
  • And the king commanded Hilkiah, and Ahikam the son of Shaphan, and Abdon the son of Micah, and Shaphan the scribe, and Asaiah a servant of the king's, saying,
  • Go, enquire of the LORD for me, and for them that are left in Israel and in Judah, concerning the words of the book that is found: for great is the wrath of the LORD that is poured out upon us, because our fathers have not kept the word of the LORD, to do after all that is written in this book."

Far from the Reformation breaking away from God, it was a return to God. And onlty the blind cannot see that.

>>>
"And I say to thee: That thou art Peter; and upon this rock I will build my church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it." [Matthew 16:18] DRB
<<<

Peter is a little rock and He is (as are all the Apostles) built upon the big Rock, the true foundation of the church, which is Christ. True to His word, the church was built upon the foundation of the Apostles, we also being rocks laid upon this very same foundation of the apostles. There is no real mystery here since God uses stones/rocks to signify the building of the church, and those built upon the church.

Ephesians 2:20-22
  • "And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
  • In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
  • In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit."

We're all the same building and we're all resting upon the foundation which is Christ.

"nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Gilda

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #67 on: August 07, 2017, 07:01:54 PM »
Pray that the people ignorant of what constitutes the true church will hear and obey.

That ain't gonna happen. Ignorance is inbread, it's  naturally inherent. Just look at the election. With all the Republican candidates to choose from, people chose Trump. What does that tell you? Ignorance is never going to go away, and it's a pipe dream to think so. God calls the ignorant the fool. I have never heard God say pray for the fool, have you?

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2017, 09:15:11 AM »
Pray that the people ignorant of what constitutes the true church will hear and obey.

That ain't gonna happen. Ignorance is inbread, it's  naturally inherent. Just look at the election. With all the Republican candidates to choose from, people chose Trump. What does that tell you?

Spiritual insanity. That's what it tells me. The same insanity that you get with road rage, where your anger produces actions that defy logic and common sense. All cults, whether Political, Roman Catholic, Protestant or any other, is a product of this ignorance in the natural man. Any insane veneration or devotion toward a particular figure or organization, be it political or religious, is a cult of personality and a product of ignorance.

Ignorance is never going to go away, and it's a pipe dream to think so.

:Goodpoint: Because unsaved man will never go away, the ignorance he naturally has won't go away either. Religious cults both Protestant and Catholic won't go away either. But there are some among these that by grace of God will come out of their ignorance and in His wisdom hear the word, and we can't abandon those who hunger for righteousness because of those who don't.

God calls the ignorant the fool. I have never heard God say pray for the fool, have you?

Also a good point. But this spiritual ignorance is the result of the fall, a product of the nature of man. Yes you are right, it is not going away because the nature of man is not going away. But we were all the fool at some point before we were saved, so you'd basically be saying don't pray for anyone that is unsaved, if we follow your comment to its logical conclusion.

Halle

• "Because He Lives"
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2017, 05:47:59 PM »
That's what it tells me. The same insanity that you get with road rage, where your anger produces actions that defy logic and common sense. All cults, whether Political, Roman Catholic, Protestant or any other, is a product of this ignorance in the natural man.

:word: This struck a cord with me because every mass hysteria, false religion, cult, false eschatology or false doctrine that I know of either defies wisdom, consistency, logic and or common sense. Every one.

Is Roman Catholicism a cult or Arminian sect? It is both, and meets the criteria for strong delusion.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]