[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Is Roman Catholicism a Cult or Arminian Sect?  (Read 14641 times)

Chicago Bear

• A Chicagoan Named Bear
Re: Is Roman Catholicism a Cult or Arminian Sect?
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2004, 03:57:50 PM »
For all of you fence sitters and line straddlers, there are only two types of religions in the world. False ones and the true one. Try and get that through your heads because only one has to do with love..

Roman Catholicism: A Biblical Analysis

http://reformedonline.com/view/reformedonline/rc.htm

By: Brian Schwertley
Either the Bible will Keep you from Sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible

Peng Bao

« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2004, 12:20:49 AM »
I have no malice in saying this, but like most of you I believe that it's important to make it clear. The word "cult" is usually used to define groups that brainwash their members and that have a leader that they must obey without question, and I think that the Roman Catholic church does qualify in that sense. A church doesn't have to deny the trinity or the deity of Christ to be considered a cult. If they control their members psychologically so that they irrationally follow the leader of that group no matter what he says, then they are cults. I'm sure we all know Catholics who do this, and some won't mind telling you so point blank. They are proud to tell you they will follow the Pope in whatever he says. So they've really defined themselves as a cult. Let's not forget, these people had the bible kept from them for a long period of history, and they had to get permission to read it. And yet the members stayed there, followed the church leaders blindly, and did what they were told by the Priests, Bishops, and Pope. If that's not a cult, then the word has no meaning. True cults deny the gospel of grace, the authority of scripture, and place a man as leader above God's word. With no malace I say, the Roman catholic church definately qualifies.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2004, 12:26:30 AM »

35 yes
19 no

Almost 20 people out of 54 don't think Roman Catholicism is a cult. I'm impressed. There are more decent people here than you thought, huh Rich? That must be a major disapointment for all you calvinists. To know that even on a reformed forum, there are that many people who don't agree with your judgemental ideas about Catholics.   :P

Scot

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2004, 12:44:50 AM »
That must be a major disapointment for all you calvinists. To know that even on a reformed forum, there are that many people who don't agree with your judgemental ideas about Catholics.

We don't have to do the judging. The Bible does that for us.  ;D

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 04:01:48 AM »
>>>
35 yes
19 no

Almost 20 people out of 54 don't think Roman Catholicism is a cult. I'm impressed. There are more decent people here than you thought, huh Rich? That must be a major disapointment for all you calvinists. To know that even on a reformed forum, there are that many people who don't agree with your judgemental ideas about Catholics.
<<<

Actually I'm encouraged that 35 out of those 54 votes actually say they understood Roman Catholicism is a cult. That seems quite high to me, I was expecting a much lower number, considering the state of the Church, and the lax attitude of most professing Christians.

I'm sure that neither Rich or any of us are engrossed in any shoden freud with regard to the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church. Anyone who derives pleasure from blowing the trumpet on false teachings, should have a long look at themselves in the mirror. But I can only speak for myself in saying that I shed light on these false teachings because of my love for these people, and my hope that perhaps some might be led to search the scriptures as the Bereans, and come to the knowledge of truth.

At least, that is my prayer.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

jd@

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2004, 12:19:55 AM »
It was a bit disappointing that some people didn't read the question carefully - it was not about whether or not the RC church held to false teachings, or was a false church, or whatever, but whether it was a cult.

I noticed that the answers didn't quite match the questions: is "damnable cult" the same as "cult"?  Are all cults damnable?  What does damnable mean, anyway?

Talking of what things mean, this threw me:

engrossed in any shoden freud

What on earth did you mean by this, Tony??

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2004, 03:28:19 AM »
>>>

What on earth did you mean by this, Tony??
<<<

Oh, so you don't like my phonics? :)

Less popularly known as schadenfreude. Or simply, taking joy in other's misery.

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Lieberman

• I'm a Llama
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2004, 04:59:01 AM »

Less popularly known as schadenfreude. Or simply, taking joy in other's misery.

Correct. I know this because it's funny, but most people think it is a Jewish word, but it is translated from German. Shoden freud means taking pleasure in the pain of others any way you spell it.

I do think Roman Catholicism is a Cult because of their blindly following a man who they believe is the vicar of Christ. Only cults do that.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2005, 10:16:27 AM »
I do think Roman Catholicism is a Cult because of their blindly following a man who they believe is the vicar of Christ. Only cults do that.

What nonsense is this? The only cult here is the cult of inability to answer questions biblically, which you seem to be a charter member. Define Cult. Is the PCA a cult? Is the LDS a cult? Is the JWs a cult? You can define any religious group as a cult, most of them Protestant. But you can't answer my questions with scripture can you?

1 Timothy 15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

Answer me this. How is the Church the Pillar and ground of the truth, and protestants strip her of her authority as Pillar and ground of the truth? Good question or not?

Sandy

• Gold Member
  • I Stand Coram Deo
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2005, 03:27:17 PM »
Doug,

1 Timothy 15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

This verse does not say the church is the pillar and ground of truth, it says the living God is.

Carmel

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2005, 04:24:40 AM »

What nonsense is this? The only cult here is the cult of inability to answer questions biblically, which you seem to be a charter member. Define Cult. Is the PCA a cult? Is the LDS a cult? Is the JWs a cult? You can define any religious group as a cult, most of them Protestant. But you can't answer my questions with scripture can you?

No problem.

2Ch 19:2  And Jehu the son of Hanani the seer went out to meet him, and said to king Jehoshaphat, Shouldest thou help the ungodly, and love them that hate the LORD? (Ahab and Jezebell of the northern kingdom of Israel) therefore is wrath upon thee from before the LORD.

The RCC resulted from the apostacies of the early churches just as the Kingdom of Israel was split through the sins of Solomon (the type of the church) and Jeroboam set up an alternative worship system including priesthood to that of Jerusalem.

The judgment of the northern Kingdom resulted in its obliteration as will also the RCC church.

A true church or churches are only such because Christ places His candlestick there, other groups only go through the motions of legitimacy but the glory was never there or has departed.

Such a group as the RCC can not be without a hugh mention in bible prophecy and it is in Daniel ch 11. and the part persecuters of the modern apostates of Rev.ch8 and 9.(they were once true churches)

Dan 11:31  And arms shall stand on his part, and they shall pollute the sanctuary of strength, and shall take away the daily sacrifice, and they shall place the abomination that maketh desolate.
Dan 11:32  And such as do wickedly against the covenant shall he corrupt by flatteries: but the people that do know their God shall be strong, and do exploits.
Dan 11:33  And they that understand among the people shall instruct many: yet they shall fall by the sword, and by flame, by captivity, and by spoil, many days.
Dan 11:34  Now when they shall fall, they shall be helped with a little help: but many shall cleave to them with flatteries.
Dan 11:35  And some of them of understanding shall fall, to try them, and to purge, and to make them white, even to the time of the end: because it is yet for a time appointed.

This apostacy continues right to the end when the RCC will be involved in the end time delusion of the false King of Kings who the heiracy will worship, and who even now are deceiving the evangelicals who are falling from their calling, Rev.12, though as usuall people are always coming to their senses and getting out before it is too late.

Ok argue your case against this with scripture.

Carmel

daryl halter

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2005, 09:28:19 PM »
Check out the Roman Catholic version of the Ten Commandments in their catechism classes.

They leave out the 2nd Commandment
Exodus 20:4-6
"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below.
5  You shall not bow down to them or worship them;
for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,
6  but showing love to a thousand generations of those who love me and keep my commandments.

Statue of Mary? Lighting Candles? Is this also left out of the Catholic Bible?

Then they split the Tenth Commandment into 2 commandments so they can end up with a total of Ten
Exodus 20:17
17  "(1)You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. (2) You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor."

1 & 2 in brackets with italics added by me to indicate RC division of 10th Commandment

Manipulating Scripture to allow for Man's Traditions.  Cult or Cultish?

I was made aware of this through my niece attending Catholic School.  We were helping her with her homework of memorizing the Ten Commandments and saw the difference right away.

Lawrence Man

• Obviously, I'm a noob
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2005, 01:32:05 AM »
Sandy,

This verse does not say the church is the pillar and ground of truth, it says the living God is.

Might it not make more sense to say that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth since God is truth, and the church is meant to uphold truth here on earth (2 Tim 2:1-2)?
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
- Romans 8:18

Lawrence Man

• Obviously, I'm a noob
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2005, 02:05:08 AM »
daryl,

Check out the Roman Catholic version of the Ten Commandments in their catechism classes.

They leave out the 2nd Commandment

[. . .]

Then they split the Tenth Commandment into 2 commandments so they can end up with a total of Ten

[. . .]

Manipulating Scripture to allow for Man's Traditions.  Cult or Cultish?

I was made aware of this through my niece attending Catholic School.  We were helping her with her homework of memorizing the Ten Commandments and saw the difference right away.

There are actually more than 10 imperative statements in the relevant texts (Exodus 20:1-17, Deuteronomy 5:6-21). Here is a count of them based on Exodus 20:

1 You shall have no other gods before me
2 You shall not make for yourself a graven image...
3 You shall not bow down to them or serve them...
4 You shall not take the name of the LORD your God in vain...
5 Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.
6 Six days you shall labor...
7 In it [the seventh day] you shall not do any work...
8 Honor your father and your mother...
9 You shall not kill.
10 You shall not commit adultery.
11 You shall not steal.
12 You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor.
13 You shall not covet your neighbor's house
14 You shall not covet your neighbor's wife...

Obviously to get 10 commandments some must be grouped together (some of the groupings are obvious and easily discernable of course). Since there are no numerical division of the Commandments in the Books of Moses, Catholics (and several German Lutherans) follow a numbering system that was popularized by St. Augustine in the fifth century in his book of "Questions of Exodus". The numbering system that you deem "correct" did not come about (at least that I know of) until after the Reformation.
I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worth comparing with the glory that is to be revealed to us.
- Romans 8:18

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2005, 09:40:08 AM »
Doug,

That's simply your opinion. What is it based upon? Certainly not the teaching of the church down through the ages. Give us more than your word.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]