[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The DaVinci Code  (Read 11904 times)

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
The DaVinci Code
« on: May 10, 2006, 01:35:07 PM »

There is a lot of hullabaloo in the Church this week about The DaVinci Code, some saying that it has some merit and others saying that it is groundless. What do you all think of this subject? It seems to have some merit, but is it a biblical idea? What are your thoughts?
K I R A 

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
  • Reformed and Evangelical
Re: The DaVinci Code
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2006, 02:42:35 PM »

There is a lot of hullabaloo in the Church this week about The DaVinci Code, some saying that it has some merit and others saying that it is groundless. What do you all think of this subject? It seems to have some merit, but is it a biblical idea? What are your thoughts?

It's all Bunk Kira. You have to remember, this is a work of fiction which some Christians have decided is important. Why, I don't know! It's made the rounds and is probably starting up again because the star laden movie is about to open. Don't believe the hype, it's much like the nonsensical unbiblical ideas that any Tom, Dick or harry might post here. And begs the question, "Where's The Beef!"

Here are a few articles that might help youy.

http://www.thetruthaboutdavinci.com/christian-analysis-of-da-vinci-code.html

https://web.archive.org/web/20111018035328/http://www.ronrhodes.org/DaVinci.html

http://www.answers.org/issues/davincicode.html

Tony Warren

• Administrator
  • Affiliate Member
    • The Mountain Retreat
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2006, 03:20:30 PM »

It's all Bunk Kira.

D I T T O !

nosce te ipsum"

Peace,
Tony Warren
"I acknowledged my sin unto thee, and mine iniquity have I not hid. I said, I will confess my transgressions unto the Lord; and thou forgavest the iniquity of my sin. Selah. -Psalms 32:5"

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2006, 10:36:41 AM »

Thank you Reformer for that. It's so strange, there does seem to be some concerted effort to discredit God and the bible with these films like the Divinci Code and new items like the book of Judas, and stories about Mary and Christ. I've never seen Christianity attacked so much without anyone making a peep. If someone were to attack the Muslim religion like that, the media would go wild against them. I don't know what's happened to this country.
K I R A 

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2006, 01:45:19 PM »

Thank you Reformer for that. It's so strange, there does seem to be some concerted effort to discredit God and the bible with these films like the Divinci Code and new items like the book of Judas, and stories about Mary and Christ. I've never seen Christianity attacked so much without anyone making a peep. If someone were to attack the Muslim religion like that, the media would go wild against them. I don't know what's happened to this country.

The antichrist has been loosed. That's why there is the concerted effort against Christ by the world powers. That's why the Churches are celebrating halloween, condoning gambling and lotteries and silent about bad doctrine. That's why there is so much divorce and remarriage, overt sex and worldliness in the Church. No one in the Church cares enough to do anything about it, they are too interested in pulling in the world, taking trips, cake sales, making money and being more like the world. I'm not  surprised that Christianity is being attacked more now, it's what we should expect when Satan is loosed.

2nd Timothy 3:1 This know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.
 2 For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,
 3 Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,
 4 Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;
 5 Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

The Davinci code is just part and parcell of this same falling away or apostasy that we are in. When the light goes out, it goes out everywhere!

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 01:30:18 PM »

Before you guys get all worked up over the Divinci Code, you should watch the TV program "Cracking The Davinci Code". It comes on this thursday, May 18, 2006 at 9:00. It's worth watching.

Hammerle Labinowic

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 05:03:25 PM »

Before you guys get all worked up over the Divinci Code, you should watch the TV program "Cracking The Davinci Code". It comes on this thursday, May 18, 2006 at 9:00. It's worth watching.

What channel, and is that east coast time?

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 05:22:19 PM »

9:00 PM tonite east Coast Time on the Discover Channel.

Drew

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 10:52:16 PM »

Sorry, Correction, 9:00 PM Eastern time tomorrow night (Thursday 5-18-06) on Discovery Channel.

Reformer

• Affiliate Member
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2006, 08:41:55 AM »

Sorry, Correction, 9:00 PM Eastern time tomorrow night (Thursday 5-18-06) on Discovery Channel.

I must admit I watched this last night, and it was actually a pretty good de-bunking of the divinci code. I would recommend it if just because it reveals how really stupid it is for anyone to believe any of this. It's so obviously flawed. And I mean obviously.

As for the book, it's obviously a anti-Christian book made for no other reason but to take shots at Christianity, a point which was made very well last night as well.

Kira

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2006, 09:15:13 AM »

I must admit I watched this last night, and it was actually a pretty good de-bunking of the divinci code. I would recommend it if just because it reveals how really stupid it is for anyone to believe any of this. It's so obviously flawed. And I mean obviously.

As for the book, it's obviously a anti-Christian book made for no other reason but to take shots at Christianity, a point which was made very well last night as well.

I think that is the case as well. The more I learn about this, the more I see that the author just had an Axe to grind with Christianity and set out for the purpose of smearing it and casting doubt upon the bible. The thing is, 20 years ago there would have been an outrage in the church against it. But today there is barely a ripple. Everyone I have talked to about it simply say don't worry about it because it's just a movie. Well movies and TV influence people, don't they? There doesn't seem to be any understanding of what hurts Christianity anymore. Christians just lay down without a fight anymore. If we are a spiritual army, there is a lot of AWOL I think.

K I R A 

curious-jack

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2006, 06:45:11 PM »
I fail to understand why any Christian is anxious about such drivel as the FICTION known as "The Da Vinci Code.

If I offered to debate anyone on this site as to the deity of Christ, and offered a work of FICTION as my source material, I would get laughed off the forum. And rightly so!

The Davinci Code is a work of fiction, intended to make millions of dollars for the author, which it did. He certainly did not challenge the doctrines of the church because the work never touches on any of them. It only referenced "secret" stuff, and "Hidden messages" for reference material. It even turned to obviously questionable material by referencing the gospels of Mary Magdalene and of Philip. Both are KNOWN to be valueless as far as truth is concerned.

The real objection though is the ignorance of Christians today who get all anxious simply because they are so ignorant of scripture they cannot refute charges made by third parties, (Dan Brown never made the challenge, only doubters and athiests jumped on the bandwagon of ignorance of Christians.) And the third parties are enjoying an immense fraud perpetraited upon Christianity because CHRISTIANS have no champion.

Look on page 269 of Dan Brown's book where Mary Magdalene is purported to be "of the house of Benjamin. Benjamin was the youngest son of Abraham.

Jesus was of the tribe of Judah through King David.

It was against the law for them to marry.

Read Numbers chapter 36 verse 7 where it is stated "So shall not the inheritance of the children of Israel remove from tribe to tribe: For EVERY ONE of the children of Israel shall keep himself to the inheritance of the tribe of his fathers." So the children of Israel were instructed to marry within their own tribe. Jesus COULD NOT, BY LAW, MARRY MARY MAGDALENE. And if anyone ever kept the law it was Jesus Christ, the son of God.

It was further stated [verse 9] "Neither dhall the inheritance remove from one tribe to another tribe; but every one of the children of Israel shall keep himself to his own inheritance.

No Jew is ever recorded as ignoring that instruction which according to Moses, is "of the Lord." verse 5.

ANY Christ armed with this information will have no trouble debunking third party debaters as to the "mariage of Jesus." It remains a work of FICTION.

curious-jack

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2006, 06:13:21 AM »
Why would anyone need to have their faith bolstered by a movie? However, I saw "The Davinci Code" as a work of fiction, because I knew about the marriage/inheritance laws of the ancient Jews. Therefore, as fiction, I watchd the movie, and read the book. Only in the book did I catch the remarks about Mary Magdalene's geneology. I already knew about Jesus' geneology from scripture so had no trouble with it.

Way too many people put their trust in the "lineage of Christ" as recorded in Mathew and Luke, trying to "prove" Jesus' blood line is pure back to David, or Adam. Too bad they do not know about the marriage and inheritance laws. That replaces a LOT of geneological research.

I also watched the movie "Ten Commandments" and did not see any clash with scripture, but realized one weakness - I do not want to put myself in the position of trying to remember if my "facts" come from the scripture, or a movie about the scripture, so, no more movies for me, unless they are FICTION. "Davinci Code" qualifies and I have no problem whatsoever with it. But then, I have no problems with the fictioinal marriage of a fictional Jesus either.

Jack

abbiegirl

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2006, 10:28:19 AM »
  I do have a problem with a fictional marriage of a fictional Jesus. First of all Jesus is not a fictional person and the book was written as a fictional version of what the author wanted to portray in many ways including his idea of supposing that Jesus amd Mary Magdalene were married (yes - I do know that it was a fictional account). But for me fictional or not, it is not Scriptural and therefore not true and to me that is heresy. Just MY humble opinion. Nothing personal.
   God bless and keep you safe today.

Abbiegirl

Penne

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2006, 11:05:59 AM »
(yes - I do know that it was a fictional account). But for me fictional or not, it is not Scriptural and therefore not true and to me that is heresy.

Abbiegirl

Amen

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]