[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: Do Miracles Still Happen Today or Have Miracles Ceased?  (Read 44727 times)

Paul

Re: Do Miracles Still Happen Today or Have Miracles Ceased?
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2003, 08:47:08 PM »
why is it we have faith in man to do miracles but not in God.why do we put our faith in a doctor but not in God.
not meaning to offend anybody,i only seek the truth.
why could the apostles do these things through the Holy Ghost but we don't.well i don't anyway not yet.
(Gen 4:7)  If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

(Pro 3:5)  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2003, 08:30:59 AM »
why is it we have faith in man to do miracles but not in God.why do we put our faith in a doctor but not in God.

Speak for yourself. I have no faith in man to do miracles. In fact, I have no faith that man can even do miracles. And I have no faith that a doctor can heal anyone apart from the Lord's doing.

Matthew 12:39 But he answered and said unto them, An evil and adulterous generation seeketh after a sign; and there shall no sign be given to it, but the sign of the prophet Jonas:

The age of supernatural miracles is over, and it's just a shame that some people cannot come to grips with that. There are no bleeding statues, there is no healing cripples, there is no feeding 5000, it's all just a sham by some unscrupulous preachers.

Revelation 16:14 For they are the spirits of devils, working miracles, which go forth unto the kings of the earth and of the whole world, to gather them to the battle of that great day of God Almighty.

Paul

« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2003, 10:21:39 AM »
when did the miracles cease.
was there a pacific time in the bible that God stopped using man to do those miracles in the way that they did.
i only ask,because i don't really know,i have not understood the bible to say these things have ceased and in my opinion at the moment don't think they have,but if you can help me get a better understanding of these things,i would appreciate it.
God bless.
paul
(Gen 4:7)  If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

(Pro 3:5)  Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

Chris

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2003, 10:58:09 AM »
when did the miracles cease.
was there a pacific time in the bible that God stopped using man to do those miracles in the way that they did.
i only ask,because i don't really know,i have not understood the bible to say these things have ceased and in my opinion at the moment don't think they have,but if you can help me get a better understanding of these things,i would appreciate it.
God bless.
paul

The miracles ceased after the bible was completed. But you need to do a lot of study of the scriptures to understand this, for man has to drink milk before he can eat meat.  Even if I had the time, I couldn't explain it to you. This is not something someone can just tell you and you'll say OK. It's something you have to learn from the study of the scriptures carefully with an open mind.

Doug Johnson

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2003, 09:31:06 AM »

The miracles ceased after the bible was completed. But you need to do a lot of study of the scriptures to understand this, for man has to drink milk before he can eat meat.  Even if I had the time, I couldn't explain it to you. This is not something someone can just tell you and you'll say OK. It's something you have to learn from the study of the scriptures carefully with an open mind.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was a bible discussion forum? Protestants are always yapping about sola scriptura until it comes to proving their points with scripture. Then it's "Go study yourself". But how about this scripture.

John 14:12  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

If you had the scriptural proof that miracles have ceased, you would have posted them. So if you're not going to back up your belief that miracles have ceased, then kindly spare us the "I've learned it but can't explain it" business.

God is the same yesterday, Today, and forever.

Glenda

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2003, 11:54:13 PM »
  Mark 8:12 "And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation."

1Cr 13:8   Charity never faileth: but whether [there be] prophecies, they shall fail; whether [there be] tongues, they shall cease; whether [there be] knowledge, it shall vanish away.  

1Cr 13:9   For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.  

1Cr 13:10   But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.  

1Cr 13:11   When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.  

1Cr 13:12   For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.  

1Cr 13:13   And now abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these [is] charity.  

I understand that , in the 10th verse  "that which is perfect is come" is the word of God and it is come, in other words it is complete. The signs and wonders have stopped.
Just my very humble opinion,
Glenda
And all the inhabitants of the earth [are] reputed as nothing: and he doeth according to his will in the army of heaven, and [among] the inhabitants of the earth: and none can stay his hand, or say unto him, What doest thou? Daniel 4:35

Sojourner

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2003, 05:02:42 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought this was a bible discussion forum? Protestants are always yapping about sola scriptura until it comes to proving their points with scripture. Then it's "Go study yourself". But how about this scripture.

John 14:12  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

That scripture says greater works shall ye do, not greater miracles. Who is going to do greater miracles than Christ? No one will. So if you're going to use scripture. it would behoove you to use it properly.

Mark 13:22
  "For false Christs and false prophets shall rise, and shall shew signs and wonders, to seduce, if it were possible, even the elect."

Just because someone does a sign or wonder, or starts babbling in tongues, doesn't make them of God.

By your use of the word protestant, I assume that you are Roman Catholic? But if you stick to the scriptures, you will see that no one haswalked on water or raised the dead. So it is impossible for that verse to mean that.

Paul

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2003, 12:43:17 PM »
i have to admit,i am struggling to find the truth on this.
why did Jesus and His disciples after Him heal the sick then,if it was not to be carried on today,there was doctors around in those days wasn't there.
can you say no miracles happen today through God using those that believe in Him.
i know it's the soul that is important and that which is saved,but if God uses doctors to heal people who may not believe,what about those they can't cure,can it be only through believing in God s power that they can be cured of anything.
if we truly believe we can be healed by God of an illness why do we go to a doctor for him to heal us through them when they are not really men of God.for a doctor is only a man the same as a Christian but isn't a man or woman of God capable of so much more with power of faith.
i don't know,what about casting out demons isn't this classed as a miracle didn't Jesus and his disciples do this the same as healing the sick,if we are not able to heal the sick are we not able to cast out demons,and i have heard the explaination of demon possesion and still have questions on that.
i still can't see why a biblical Christian would be so different from one of today.
i think we need miracles today just as much as in bible times as with all the technology of man today people are starting to think man is capable of anything and treat him like a God by what he achieves.
peolpe dismiss the power of God and worship the creature over the Creator.
God bless.
paul

Apostolic

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2004, 08:52:23 AM »
It seems from my reading these articles over the last few that many of you believe that there are no more miracles happening today. It is my understanding that you think that divine revelation to believers is over. I am interested in knowing why you think that. Could you provide scripture reference and tell me what about these passages. I have yet to read where these are addressed.

Joh 14:12  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that

Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Ac 6:8  And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

Ac 19:11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:

Tra Millwood

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2004, 02:13:05 PM »

There are no more divine revelations from God today because  the word of God is completed. Therefore, God will not give more revelation. The Bible is sufficient for us to know the will and purpose of God.

Re 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

midas

« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2004, 06:41:02 PM »
It is my understanding that you think that divine revelation to believers is over. I am interested in knowing why you think that.

I believe that the authority is the Bible alone in its entirety of which is the divine word. Its God's word complete. God has said all that he is going to right now. So nothing else can be considered devine revelation.

1Co 13:8  Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part; 10  but when the perfect comes, the partial will be done away.

The "perfect" in verse 10 meaning God's word, brought to completion. The bible is complete now, it came. Prophecy, tongues are not need anymore."Know in part", means Gods revelation was only known in part then because the Bible wasn't completed, so devine revelation to belivers was needed.

Could you provide scripture reference and tell me what about these passages. I have yet to read where these are addressed.

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do that the father may be glorified in the son

This couldn't be talking about miracles because Jesus walked on water, Raised the dead, stilled storms etc. There is nobody doing miracle now like this, plus Jesus didn't come to earth for the purpose of doing miracle. He came to pay for our sins at the cross and to bring the Gospel.

midas

« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2004, 07:38:50 PM »
Sorry, didn't finish ... computer locked up

Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father. 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do that the father may be glorified in the son

This couldn't be talking about miracles because Jesus walked on water, Raised the dead, stilled storms etc. There is nobody doing miracles now like this, plus Jesus didn't come to earth for the purpose of doing miracles. He came to pay for our sins at the cross and to bring the Gospel. The "work" God is talking about is preaching the Gospel and the "greater works" is more people are responding now then in Jesus time.

Mat 1:21  "She will bear a Son; and you shall call His name Jesus, for He will save His people from their sins."

Mar 1:38  He *said to them, "Let us go somewhere else to the towns nearby, so that I may preach there also; for that is what I came for."

____________________________ __________________

Act 2:43  Everyone kept feeling a sense of awe; and many wonders and signs were taking place through the apostles.

The apostles were the only ones who could work miracles until they gave the power to others by the laying of hands. This is how Stephen could perform miracles.

Act 8:6  The crowds with one accord were giving attention to what was said by Philip, as they heard and saw the signs which he was performing.

Philip a chosen Deacon was perform miracles

Act 8:14  Now when the apostles in Jerusalem heard that Samaria had received the word of God, they sent them Peter and John, Act 8:15  who came down and prayed for them that they might receive the Holy Spirit.

However the apostles Peter and John had to come for the Samaritans to receive the miracle power. Philip could not transfer the power. It had to come from an apostle.

Since all the apostles are dead, so are the miracles.

1Co 13:8  Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.

Gods word is now perfect and complete. Miracles are not needed anymore.

iGreg

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2004, 01:47:49 PM »
The replies to Apostolic covers most of the bases on why signs and wonders are not coming from God today (since Rev. 22:18-19 was penned).

I would add that we are not saying miracles do not happen, the most important miracle of all still happens, becoming born again. Also, Angels are ministering spirits, however, we do not see or hear them anymore, so we can not say precisely how they interact with us (however, it is not visibly or by voice). When they did appear to men visibly as recounted in the Bible, it was to bring messages from God, & since the Bible was completed that no longer occurs.

Naturally, the Bible is clear that when Christ returns there will be plenty of signs and wonders.

MightyMike

« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2004, 09:32:28 PM »

There are no more divine revelations from God today because  the word of God is completed. Therefore, God will not give more revelation. The Bible is sufficient for us to know the will and purpose of God.

Re 22:18 For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book:
 19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Howdy Tra!

An interesting post.  Allow me a moment to ask you a question.  Do you believe with your whole heart this verse in the Bible as follows...?

1 Peter 2:24.  Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

Now, Allow me a moment to ask you another question.  Do you believe God can perform miracles for those who choose not to believe?  Yes?  Or No?  What does the Bible say as follows...

Matthew 13:57-58

57.  And they were offended in him. But Jesus said unto them, A prophet is not without honour, save in his own country, and in his own house.
58.  And he did not many mighty works there because of their unbelief.
(underlined emphasis mine)

Is it true in your mind that If you DO NOT believe that God can perform a miracle in your life, That God cannot perform a miracle?

God Bless You! :)  

MightyMike

« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2004, 11:36:24 PM »
It seems from my reading these articles over the last few that many of you believe that there are no more miracles happening today. It is my understanding that you think that divine revelation to believers is over. I am interested in knowing why you think that. Could you provide scripture reference and tell me what about these passages. I have yet to read where these are addressed.

Joh 14:12  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
 13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that

Mr 16:17 And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues;
 18 They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.

Ac 6:8  And Stephen, full of faith and power, did great wonders and miracles among the people.

Ac 19:11 And God wrought special miracles by the hands of Paul:

Howdy Apostolic!

Well, I wanted you to know that I believe in Miracles.  Matter of fact, I firmly believe in 1 Corinthians Chapter 12 as well.  All of the Gifts of the Holy Spirit are alive and well today for the Christian Church for those who believe.

God Bless You! :)

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]