[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The War In Iraq  (Read 59902 times)

Kevin Wright

• Always Reforming
Re: The War In Iraq
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2014, 06:06:02 AM »
Let's start out small. Can we all agree that going in and breaking up Iraq to try and bring democracy there was a huge mistake?

Yes. It was short sighted.

No, not really. Democracy is never a mistake.

That's not true, democracy is often not a good thing. It is democracy that supports abortion, marijuana, divorce, evolution, free will and all sorts of Godless doctrines. Just because a majority of people want something doesn't mean it is good. Democracy is not always a good thing.

Another good point Philly made is that we have no right to force democracy on any nation.

matt205

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #226 on: August 14, 2014, 05:50:31 AM »
:thinker: You mean like in Vietnam? Oops! Sorry, I mean they died for their country, for nothing  :hammerhead:

Like I said. Nation building never works.

I'm inclined to agree with you about leaving that tyrant in power in Iraq. It was a terrible mistake, and I agreed with it at the time. I'm now convinced that there is a reason these seemingly crazy and heavy handed rulers are in power. Look what happened when the shaw of Iran fell? Did things get better as everyone supposed it would. Or did it become a terrorist haven? The same thing in 2011 with the fall of Muammar Gaddafi of Libya. Now look at all the war, genocide and murder in that country today. Just yesterday the U.S. and Europe expressed concern over the mass killings going on there. Syria, the same problem. We're just not learning anything from our mistakes.

As much as I might not like Philly Dawg, it seems he is usually right on the money when it comes to these things.

Melanie

• Gold Member
  • Psalms 52:8
« Reply #227 on: August 14, 2014, 08:50:23 AM »
Interesting. Which begs the question. Should we turn the other way when these rulers like Saddam and Bashar al-Assad torture and execute their political opponents? I'm not saying I disagree (I'm not sure), just being an advocate for the other side. It is a difficult question.

Eugene Coburn

• Obviously I'm a Novice
« Reply #228 on: August 14, 2014, 03:21:18 PM »
Interesting. Which begs the question. Should we turn the other way when these rulers like Saddam and Bashar al-Assad torture and execute their political opponents?

Well No. But neither should we invade their country and remove them from power. America is not the police man of the world. We have enough problems right here at home that we can't solve without trying to solve the the unsolvable problems of the rest of the world. Isn't that God's Job?

Does the Bible say that we should go out and straighten out every other country in the world? I don't read that anywhere. On the other hand, if a country threatens our country, that's another matter.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]