[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]

Author Topic: The War In Iraq  (Read 62147 times)

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
The War In Iraq
« on: December 06, 2004, 05:21:27 AM »

As much as I hate to say it, it seems like Philly Dawg was right "with regards to this war in Iraq." Every day things get worse and worse over there and now more US troops than ever are being sent in. The Iraqi army is falling apart and cowardly fighters, and the Iraqi police are systematically being killed and are now so terrorized that they are afraid to come to work. What a mess! There's no way out. As I said, I hate to say it, but it looks like we're already in another Vietnam situation.

gordonh

Re: The War In Iraq
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 10:35:25 AM »
NIkki,

Perhaps not.  We would appear to be at a pivotal point in Iraq.  The US is firmly committed to elections in 50 or so days.  The terrorists are determined to stop the elections using disruption and intimidation.  Hence the big increase in activity by both sides.  The elections can probably be delayed 30 - 60 days without too much damage - as long as they are delayed by the Iraqis over the protests of the President.  More delay than that would surely play to the favor of the extremists. If the elections occur, I would look for another round of intensified violence as the new government tries to get established, but a large majority of Iraqis seem to be ready for peace.

That said, the possibilities for sustained heavy violence (up to limited civil war) still exist.  The terrorists have managed to slow reconstruction which also hinders stability.  Progress in general is "behind schedule".  Still this is not like Vietnam where a large sustained influx of new combatants replace those that are killed.   We should be able to get the upper hand eventually.

Predicting the future is difficult, but over the next year or two our troop strength in Iraq will decrease significantly - especially if they are needed for redeployment elsewhere; which - (sadly) barring major internal realignment (takeover) in Iran seems more and more likely.

GordonH

Nikki

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2004, 08:40:33 AM »
Progress in general is "behind schedule".  Still this is not like Vietnam where a large sustained influx of new combatants replace those that are killed.   We should be able to get the upper hand eventually.

GordonH

I hope you are right. I pray you are right. But it looks like a bottonmless hole to me. And our pockets are not that deep. And terrorists are pouring across the borders everyday from what I hear. We can't even secure our own borders, much less those in Iraq which are much more porous. But I hope you are right, because I'd hate to see all these young men die in vain as they did in Vietnam.

gordonh

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2004, 10:20:04 AM »
Nikki,
  Fortunately the same terrain that makes it hard for us to catch "new" terrorists in Iraq makes it difficult for them to come across in large numbers.  I know this sounds cold and unchristian, but we should be able to kill them faster than they can replenish - eventually.  Which is very unlike Vietnam.   I too pray that the people of Iraq take this opportunity to make a functioning country.  A long term civil war between muslim factions would put our troops in a great deal more risk - for who knows how long.

You said " We can't even secure our own borders".  I am not picking on you, rather our administration when I say not "can't" but "wont".  We have the capability to button this country up tight and our reasons for not doing it are purely political.  I believe this puts our population at great risk.

I am going to go on a paranoid rant here so forgive me.

I don't even care about the guys who line up at the 7/11 or donut shop looking for work.  I worry much more about the guys who come across the border, fade away, rent a Cessna, fill it with Semtex and fly it into a staduim on a Sunday afternoon (or New Year's Day). Though more difficult, a coordinated assault with several planes at several locations would .. well I'm not sure what it would do to our country.

Having said all of that I really try not to dwell on all of the terrible things that might happen.  Our Lord has promised to never leave nor forsake us.  Our focus can not be on those who would do us harm but rather on our Lord.

Matthew 10

28And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
   29Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.
   30But the very hairs of your head are all numbered.
   31Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2004, 02:32:38 PM »

As much as I hate to say it, it seems like Philly Dawg was right "with regards to this war in Iraq." Every day things get worse and worse over there and now more US troops than ever are being sent in. The Iraqi army is falling apart and cowardly fighters, and the Iraqi police are systematically being killed and are now so terrorized that they are afraid to come to work. What a mess! There's no way out. As I said, I hate to say it, but it looks like we're already in another Vietnam situation.

Hi Nikki,
You know, I think most people knew I was right about what was going to happen in Iraq, they were just so dead set against the candidate that the democrats chose that they couldn't bring themselves to vote for him. So I blame the democratic party for nominating a guy that had the charisma of a turtle.

However, I don't think for a miniute that people are not going to come around to seeing that Iraq is a bottomless pit, and just like in Vietnam, we will have to tuck our heads between our legs, and scramble out of there pretending it's some kind of victory. Maybe a year, maybe two years from now, but the outcome is inevitable. Any intelligent person could see this coming a mile away, but then we have Bush, Chaney and Rumsfeld formulating foreign policy, and so their option is to always jump first and think later. And that is why we are in this quicksand with no way out. And Americans are not going to sit still for year after year of this nonsense just to "supposedly" make Iraqis free. If there was any hope at all of light at the end of the tunnel, yes, but this guy acts as a clown with no plan other than to keep repeating that we're fighting for freedom. That's his plan! Sounds a awful lot like what Johnson said concerning Vietnam, don't you think. You know, the old "if we just hold the course" speech year after year that got thousands of more young men killed in the jungle for no reason whatsoever?

Anyway, why would you "hate to say" that it seems like Philly Dawg was right with regards to this war in Iraq? Don't you cherish the truth? Or would you rather I came on here and blew smoke up your back saying that all is well, let's just send more bombs and planes and troops and everything will work out fine cause Bush is a good Christian?

I don't post much anymore because I need a little fresh air from hypocrisy, but see you in another month when another couple thousand of our boys are dead and their mourning mothers are asking, "what for?"  For Muslums. Yeah, what a great cause for Christians to die for. Let's build up another christian hating muslum nation with tax payers dollars. Brilliant Plan that only a Bush type christian could come up with!

Kellyanne Conway: Sometimes Trump Lies Because
 He Doesn't Know the Truth, Okay?

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2004, 03:03:55 PM »
Nikki,
  Fortunately the same terrain that makes it hard for us to catch "new" terrorists in Iraq makes it difficult for them to come across in large numbers.  I know this sounds cold and unchristian, but we should be able to kill them faster than they can replenish - eventually.

What are you smoking man? You ever read a history book? You're talking about attrition? Did you even notice what happened in Vietnam with thinking like that, or what happened to the Russians in Afghanistan with thinking like that? It helped bankrupt a whole nation. Attrition you say?  :o

And you actually believe that the Iraqi borders are sealed that tons of people are not streaming in? Are you nuts? Everyone knows the terrorists are coming accross the porous borders on four different fronts on a daily basis. And there is really not much America can do about it other than threaten. They are streaming in from Iran, but also from the Syrian border, the Turkey border, and from Jordan. You have no idea what you are talking about but you just come on here and say anything without any regard to it being true.

And once these vegatables get into the cities, the Americans pretty much have to destroy the city to get them out.  Have you even watched the news to see what's going on over there, or do you just cover your eyes and say you don't see anything? Did you see what we had to do to fallujah just to get out a few hundred? Just to dislodge just a few hundred? The place looks like Berlin after the war. Now the people who lived there have no homes to return to, and they want america to rebuild them, and the terrorists are already starting to move back in dressed as civiliians. Boy, you people live in a fantasy world when it comes to this issue. I often wonder how people who claim to be christian can be so out of touch with reality.

Diane Moody

• The Kingdom is Within You
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2004, 04:06:33 PM »
Dawg,  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

You gave me a chuckle today with that picture, even though I'm sure it wasn't your intention. I have to admit, there are some people who don't see when they don't want to and don't hear when they don't want, and it's far from reality.   :-\

We know the present administration has made a mess of things over there with poor planning. I think even republicans are admitting that now that the election is over. But don't you think leaving now will play right into the terrorists hands? It's like a catch-22 situation. We can't stay, and we really can't leave either.

Arnold

• The Spirit is willing, but the Flesh is weak.
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2004, 12:46:55 PM »
What are you smoking man? You ever read a history book? You're talking about attrition?

No doubt some mind altering drug. Kill more than can come in? The guy is delirious. Aside from those coming in, they are making converts of the poor that are already there.

And you actually believe that the Iraqi borders are sealed that tons of people are not streaming in? Are you nuts? Everyone knows the terrorists are coming accross the porous borders on four different fronts on a daily basis. And there is really not much America can do about it other than threaten. They are streaming in from Iran, but also from the Syrian border, the Turkey border, and from Jordan. You have no idea what you are talking about but you just come on here and say anything without any regard to it being true.

Christians don't need to have the truth, they have A party instead.  ;)

And once these vegatables get into the cities, the Americans pretty much have to destroy the city to get them out.  Have you even watched the news to see what's going on over there, or do you just cover your eyes and say you don't see anything? Did you see what we had to do to fallujah just to get out a few hundred? Just to dislodge just a few hundred? The place looks like Berlin after the war.

That's a good analogy. The problem is, everytime something like that happens, you create more displaced people more angry at americans than before. It's a stupid policy. America cannot win this war, they should come to their senses rather than go on for years with a bloodbath. You said it correct, the end result is inevitable.

Brilliant caricature of some of the people making these ridiculous comments about attrition being the answer.  >:(

God save us from the ignorance of man, huh?

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2005, 03:50:16 AM »
What are you smoking man? You ever read a history book? You're talking about attrition?

No doubt some mind altering drug. Kill more than can come in? The guy is delirious. Aside from those coming in, they are making converts of the poor that are already there.

And getting worse and worse by the day. The last three months of december were the worse yet for the killing there. It's unbelievable to me how some so-called christians can't stomach the truth.

Christians don't need to have the truth, they have A party instead.  ;)

I don't think it's that simple. I think they park their brains at the door when it comes to politics. If it wasn't for God, these type people would have caused the world to be nuked years ago during the cold war. They always think force is the answer to everything, rather than a last resort. How they reconcile that with christianity is anyone's guess.

Brilliant caricature of some of the people making these ridiculous comments about attrition being the answer.  >:(

It was Winston Churchill who said, "Those that do not learn from history are destined to
repeat it." In their world, ignorance is bliss because they aren't the ones being killed. As I said, if it wasn't for God, these people would have caused the world to be destroyed years ago. The only thing preventing man from destroying himself is God.

Baerchild

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2005, 02:24:03 PM »
Philly Dawg,

Re:  I don't think it's that simple. I think they park their brains at the door when it comes to politics. If it wasn't for God, these type people would have caused the world to be nuked years ago during the cold war. They always think force is the answer to everything, rather than a last resort. How they reconcile that with christianity is anyone's guess.
=
Do you believe that Islam is not satanically inspired?

Jim

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2005, 04:53:25 AM »
Philly Dawg,

Re:  I don't think it's that simple. I think they park their brains at the door when it comes to politics. If it wasn't for God, these type people would have caused the world to be nuked years ago during the cold war. They always think force is the answer to everything, rather than a last resort. How they reconcile that with christianity is anyone's guess.
=
Do you believe that Islam is not satanically inspired?

Jim

What has that to do with anything? The united States is a not a crusader. Didn't you learn anything from history? The crusades never worked and in fact were counter productive because you cannot force other people by war and killing to conform to Christianity. That's just plain silly. You propose that we're justified in attacking all other nations who hold false religions?  ::)  ::)  ::)

And furthermore, americans didn't approve a war in Iraq because we thought it was Satanically inspired (That's absurd), we approved it because Bush and the three stooges said that they had weapons of mass destruction and were preparing them against us. Now all of a sudden, that little fact get's swept under the rug and it now was all about fighting Satan? How convenient.  ^-^  ^-^  ^-^  ^-^

Where's my 3-monkey Image?

Baerchild

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2005, 12:26:17 PM »
Philly Dawg,

One more time: Do you believe that Islam is not satanically inspired?

Jim

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2005, 02:09:39 PM »
Philly Dawg,

Jim

Jim, one more time, do you believe that America should go around physically attacking all satanically inspired religions? Use your head for something besides holding the hat of political rhetoric.  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I love how people attempt to justify something that is not justifiable.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Baerchild

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2005, 03:20:43 PM »
Philly Dawg,

Jim

Jim, one more time, do you believe that America should go around physically attacking all satanically inspired religions? Use your head for something besides holding the hat of political rhetoric.  :(  :(  :(  :(  :(

I love how people attempt to justify something that is not justifiable.  ::)  ::)  ::)

Philly Dawg,

Re: I love how people attempt to justify something that is not justifiable.
=
Classic political obfuscation...never truthfully answer a question, change the subject and always make unsubstantiated assumptions.  Why?  Because your ilk are not interested in the truth because you can not justify your political bias.

For the last time:  Do you believe that Islam is not satanically inspired? That is the only question to which I seek an answer from you...what, afraid to answer the question?

Jim

Philly Dawg

• Thinking Christians
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2005, 03:41:51 PM »

Philly Dawg,

For the last time:  Do you believe that Islam is not satanically inspired? That is the only question to which I seek an answer from you...what, afraid to answer the question?

You said it was the last time, last time. Obviously you have no respect for the truth. So either answer my question, or don't bother writing to me because I'm not interested in your siliness. Answer my question, and you have the answer to your question. Use your head for once.

Because your ilk are not interested in the truth because you can not justify your political bias.

Now the true Jim comes out. People of my ilk understand why you won't answer the question. Because we use our heads rather than our rhetoric.

[ Home | Eschatology | Bible Studies | Classics | Articles | Sermons | Apologetics | Search | F.A.Q. ]